Weekend Open Forum: Where will you vacation this year?

By on June 22, 2012, 6:30 PM

Over the past few weeks I’ve been planning a summer vacation for myself and a couple of friends. My last vacation came five years ago as part of a road trip to Panama City Beach that only lasted three days.

Granted, I’ve been to Las Vegas three out of the past five years but that’s hardly what I’d consider a relaxing trip since I was in town to cover the Consumer Electronics Show.

Next month I’ll be setting sail on the largest cruise ship in the world for a seven night Western Caribbean tour. It will be my first ever cruise and the first time I’ve been out of the country since I was around five years old so needless to say, I’m pretty excited!

With summer now in full swing, we want to hear about your vacation plans in this week’s Weekend Open Forum. If you aren’t going anywhere this year, tell us about last year’s trip or perhaps your all-time favorite vacation.

Beach photo from Shutterstock.

3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

at home, going on long rides on the Harley......

ikesmasher said:

Assuming I have the $$$$ to vacation

Mauritius or Venice

Staff
Jos Jos said:

I don't think I'll be going on vacation this year, besides occasionally heading to the beach on weekends, which is about an hour away by car.

I did have the opportunity to travel a lot last year. I lived in Nice, France for 10 months while doing my postgraduate studies and went on short trips every chance I had. I must have been to a couple dozen different places throughout Europe, visited a bunch of friends and welcomed a few in our flat. Had a great time in Amsterdam, Bruges is really beautiful too, and spent the holidays skiing in an amazing place called Les Saissies in the French Alps... luckily we had friends working for the season there

Before heading back home we went on a 12-day Mediterranean cruise that dropped us off in Venice, where we also have friends so we stayed for a couple of days. So, yeah, 2010-2011 were pretty amazing for traveling!

1 person liked this | soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

Cant afford a vacation, Obama is in the WH...

ramonsterns said:

Went to Venezuela to visit family.

Family time was fun, the rest of the country was not.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

Just ended our two-month vacation.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Like Shawn I've been to Las Vegas a couple of times in the past few years, also traveled to San Francisco, Orlando, Miami, and visited Jamaica for my honeymoon. I did a lot of traveling a few years back while attending graduate school in Florida, but then my expense priorities shifted to the family, kids and buying a house, so bye-bye pleasure travel, at least for the time being. It's been worth it though.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I'll just be staying in the local area (Seattle) this year. Plenty of outdoor stuff to do plus all sorts of music festivals which I really enjoy will be going on. Next year has the potential of an extended vacation somewhere - probably on the Baja in Mexico.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Cant afford a vacation, Obama is in the WH...

Stop being jelly and rob a bank. Have a vacation in incarceration with no financial cost to you :P

Gotta think outside the box lol

ramonsterns said:

Cant afford a vacation, Obama is in the WH...

Gotta think outside the box lol

This man knows what he's talking about. Free, 3 meals a day, no job, a bed, friendly company.

wcbert said:

Six Days in Madrid, then seven days in Rome and end my vacation with five days in Lisbon. Then I need a vacation from the vacation I will be going on.

I hope you enjoy the trip ! It's great to get excited by travel, but unfortunately I've done too much (yes, it's possible, and I've grown to loathe airports) so now I think of a vacation as staying on the sofa, close to a fully-stocked fridge. There are so many great places to visit though - Sri Lanka and the Maldives, Tibet, the Alps and Pyrenees, Japan, .... but my favourite was Australia. I've never been anywhere in Africa or South America, so maybe I'll get off my arse and go to Chile this winter...

R3DP3NGUIN R3DP3NGUIN said:

Hopefully Antarctica

WithoutAnyMilk WithoutAnyMilk said:

Cannot afford vacation. Working the front desk at a hotel barely pays enough to keep the bills paid. I hope the rest of you gentlemen and ladies have fun on your vacation - please treat your desk clerks with respect. It's not easy to pretend to be pleasant all day every day and still do the massive amounts of duties our guests place on us.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm planning on vacationing in the Rocky Mountains this Fall/Winter.

Norway - the sognefjord. Aaaahhh....

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm just heading off to a seaside town (Bridlington, East Coast) for 3 days in August. Going camping again because I just love it. I went last year but didn't go properly prepared so this time round it's going to be the "V 2.0" trip.

Cost is around £140, which you can't moan at...

Sean Murray Sean Murray said:

Mexico near Cancun.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

My vacation will consist of going home, eating a shipload of American food (by which I mean Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Korean, Vietnamese and In'N'Out), packing up my computers and heading back to school three weeks later. Not having to crack a book is vacation enough.

NightAngel79 said:

Just got back from a resort in the Virgin Islands. Much prefer taking a cruise!

TitoBXNY TitoBXNY said:

I will going to Punta Cana Dominican Republic. It's ridiculously economical and very close to home. My last trip there was all inclusive $50 a day Hotel, food and and all you can drink included. It was in March, and I didn't sit next to my wife on the plane, but you cant beat that.

1 person liked this | ErikO ErikO said:

My vacations are on weekends to beach : ) Salinas, Ecuador... whenever you have a chance come by, there's fishing, whale watching, scuba diving, bird watching, great weather all year long, excellent food, everything's real cheap and people are quite friendly.

dgoodchild dgoodchild said:

For me, it's a twelve-hour drive-a-thon to Indianapolis followed by five days of non-stop gaming at Gencon Indy (followed by another twelve hour drive home).

GeforcerFX GeforcerFX said:

My Room, at my desk, with my computer on, probably playing a game.

Work 100%, no time to take one. I'm a slave!

The best place for summer vacation for very cheap is Albania (South...for example the area around Saranda)

Jibberish18 said:

Well The Wife and I have yet to take our honey moon and we were originally thinking of Spain or Singapore but both those places will kill our wallets after money conversion so we're not sure. Australia can be a nice place to go.

"Cant afford a vacation, Obama is in the WH..."

And in SP, FC, JP, GR, RU, ........

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

And chances are you'll find your stolen car there as well.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

That sounds like fun, Shawn.

My wife and I are going to Washington D.C. in a few days for the Fourth of July for about 6 days.

Then, in October, we're living out a nerdy fantasy and going to New Zealand so that we can try to see as many Lord of the Rings spots as we can! I know that's not technically a summer vacation, but down in the southern hemisphere, it will be mid-spring.

mosu said:

Martinique.

Route44 Route44, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

To the Poconos with my wife as we celebrate our wedding anniversary.

ElShotte ElShotte said:

Damn Route44, I live in the Poconos for now, I guess its a constant vacation for me. But in reality, I havent been on a real vacation in like 9 years, and that was Florida, which I enjoyed very much. I expect to be going down to Harrisburg for work in a week or so, though. Can't afford a vacay either.

ETF Soldier ETF Soldier said:

I'm staying in the country this year, going to Weighmouth in July, and to Cornwall in August with my girlfriends family. My dream holiday would be to visit the Large Hadron Collider at CERN in Switzerland.

tonylukac said:

I think I'm going to Venus with all these other people with mystery money, sort of like the CEO of Oracle who just bought a Hawaiin island . Seriously, who can afford a vacation?

Route44 Route44, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

I am assuming you live in Pike County. Used to fish the Shohola Creek when I was younger.

Route44 Route44, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

1. plantation bay, philippines

(mactan island, lapu-lapu city, province of cebu, philippines)

-two or 3 days/nights

2. then off to palawan underground river, philippines

(palawan, philippines)

3. lastly to angkor wat, cambodia.

and after those escapades, I'm gonna work my 455 for the next two years before I can afford another vacation.

treetops treetops said:

Went to vegas for a wedding a few months ago had a blast guess that would be my official vacation. I go up to the mountains on the weekends with my immediate family and there kids n wifes n hubbies to camp in the summer about 3 times a year, we fish, drink a bit and take in the cool air, as it is 110+ here in the summer. Its about a 4 hour drive.

I might go with a friend of mine to Montana for a bit while I still have the freedom of online classes. Really hating this heat atm, it got to 115 today Fahrenheit.

@Tomsea

I am incredibly jealous I have always wanted to take a long holiday in Baja California, a friend of mine lived there with his now ex wife for a few years. He said everything is cheap where he was, lots of small fishing towns, amazing scenery and little tourists. He was near the tip, heck im in AZ I should get a passport and head that way . I am sure you know but you need a land passport or reg passport nowadays to enter Mexico, don't linger in the border towns or big tourist spots they are dangerous. Not sure about Baja though.

I want to go to america oneday

Zoltan Head said:

I think I may be off to the Scilly Isles (off S.W. UK!) this August/September, peace & tranquility & great sea views

ElShotte ElShotte said:

Not at all Route44, I actually live in Carbon County, like 5 miles from the Monroe County border. By a place called Jim Thorpe.

Route44 Route44, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

I know Jim Thorpe. I've been there a few times. My dad was born and raised in Minersville and my mom in Pottsville. It is a small world.

darkzelda said:

I'm staying here in Pereira Colombia, then I will go to Bogotá to visit my girlfriend. But before I'll do some pc gaming until I get tired if I ever get.

learninmypc learninmypc said:

Vacationing? Probably hop on Google Earth & go to Paris or who knows. I can't afford a vacation. I hope you all enjoy yours & post the pics.

Dawn1113 said:

The beach, as always. I don't know where yet, exactly, as that is something my friends have yet to decide -- it always seems to be a last minute decision, for some reason. But it's always the beach for me. I save up for it all year, every year.

DjKraid DjKraid said:

...it would be nice to actually got a vacation but I just got this job so my next vacation will be next summer but when that day comes I'll most probably go to Italy (Naxos or Ischia or Capri) with my gf

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I've planned lots of weekend breaks in Europe this year, can't afford to take time off work... Went to the Maldives last year for our honeymoon, most amazing place I've ever been to and just wish I could afford to go back there

1 person liked this | TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I'm getting married at the end of the week, then heading out Sunday to Elk Horn Hot Springs in Dillon, MT. Got a cabin rented for 3 nights. Should be fun .