Fortnite will be the first Unreal Engine 4 title, PC-exclusive at launch

By on July 12, 2012, 6:11 PM

Epic Games has been fairly quiet about Fortnite since announcing it at Spike TV's Video Game Awards last December, but the developer has unveiled fresh details during the start of this year's Comic-Con. Due in 2013, the survival-horror sandbox game will be the first to use Epic's next-generation engine, Unreal Engine 4, and it's being developed primarily for PC, with the potential for other platforms later.

The game is described as a combination of Minecraft, The Walking Dead and Team Fortress 2. It's set in a post-apocalyptic world with cartoony graphics, while the gameplay focuses on scavenging for survival. You'll search for building materials, weapons and other useful items during the day to fend off monsters such as trolls that spawn at night (this is currently on a one-hour cycle, but it may change).

A key part of surviving will be fortifying your holdup with the in-game construction mechanics that are said to be more complex than Minecraft's. The demonstration at Comic-Con showed characters collecting wood with an axe and stone with a sledgehammer. These materials can be used to build many things, and although Epic is striving for variety, the company said you won't need an engineering degree.

When asked, Epic declined to comment on monetization, so there's a good chance the company is considering free-to-play with microtransactions. It seems like there'll be a ton of items and it's said that characters will be persistent and customizable, while the world will have randomly generated elements. Epic also said Fortnite will be a "slow burn" and the company plans to keep adding content.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Hoooboy - can't wait for this one! I want to see that new Epic engine up close and personal.

Ranger12 Ranger12 said:

It is nice to see development being focused on the PC. Also, I'm a big minecraft fan so the gameplay sounds interesting. I will def be keeping my eye on this title.

Carleton Wu Carleton Wu said:

very cool graphics!

Microtransactions = Deal Breaker for me.

This is the kind of game they chose to showcase Unreal engine 4??? it looks like a kids game.....& the graphics don't look any different from other cartoony games.

jeffz6 said:

"and it's being developed primarily for PC"

I think we have heard this before? this must be a classic phrase by now.

meh looks like the sims + minecraft

Zen Zen, TechSpot Paladin, said:

My only thought here about this, is why waste the Unreal Engine technology on something like this? Why not do the smart and most logical thing! If your going to create something off of the new Unreal Engine, why not do it on something that the technology was created for in the first place.........and that would be for Unreal Tournament itself! It's always been my opinion, that if the Unreal Engine is used on anything other than a Unreal Tournament video game, than it's a waste!

((Disclaimer : Just my opinion))

PinothyJ said:

Why is this game's name spelt incorrectly?

:|...

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

((Disclaimer : Just my opinion))

Unreal tournament had its time in the light. Although this is the first game using the engine don't expect it to be the last, or worse for that matter. Game looks fun. I'll def on board for this one.

Marnomancer Marnomancer said:

((Disclaimer : Just my opinion))

It's just a game engine, Zen. Like Cube2. Any game can use it (if open source). I believe the Unreal Engine is similar to/ same as Quake's engine?

Zen Zen, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Well what I said earlier is my opinion and I'm sticking by it! And for some who may feel that Unreal Tournament had it's time in the light, if you think the light either moved else where or dimmed out all together, your dead wrong! Go to your nearest computer store or order up on-line the Unreal Anthology Limited Edition DVD-ROM Set. Once installed and configured, go into multiplayer and see how dimmed out the light for the game is! Heck the other night when playing Unreal Tournament 1999 there we something like 200 game servers still hosting the game and most were busy with players on it. But if that's not good enough for some, try finding a Unreal Tournament 2004 on-line game server to squeeze into, those game servers are busier than a cat on a hot tin roof. But the same can not be said for Unreal Tournament III, that was kind of a flop, there are boat loads of Unreal III game servers out there, but normally most are without activity.

Sorry to have busted out on a rant here, but statements like Unreal had it's time in the light are a super hot button for me, it messes with my zen thing! Unreal Tournament 1999 is the game that started it all for me! It gave me my blood lust for good first person shooter games, it's the game that helped make me the "rip your heart out of your chest as I watch your twitching body hit the ground" player I am today with the likes of the COD series.

Oh well, I'll shut up now and go off into a corner and burn some smell goods and meditate myself back into calm again!

You keep mixing up Unreal and Unreal Tournament in your posts. The engine was created for Unreal, obviously, rather than Unreal Tournament, but I agree UT is the more prominent game. Shame the series has just went gradually downhill, with UT99 still being by far the best; Unreal 3 was an absolute disaster.

I'd quite like to see a new additions to both the Unreal and Unreal Tournament series actually, but only if they're made competently this time. However I don't think it matters if they're the first games to be released with the new engine - the first couple games on a new engine are usually buggy (e.g. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines on the Source engine) or glorified tech demos (e.g. Doom 3, Rage, etc.).

Marnomancer Marnomancer said:

Haha, lol

DanUK DanUK said:

Big +1. Game does look good though and I'm guessing they will make extensive use of other parts of the engine (e.g. physics etc)

I don't always post as anonymous, but when I do, I can tell that "Zen" woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

The Unreal Engine - Similar to many other open source engines - is not solely made for the "Graphics" and "One person shoot everythang". These engines are extremely sophisticated programs deal more with the environmental abilities, coding, cross-platform game play, etc.;)

acerace acerace said:

Sadly, minority of the people here don't think like that. They only think UE 4 is for games like OMGWTFBBQ Battlefield 3 & UBERHIGHCANIRUNIT Crysis.

MilwaukeeMike said:

Here's a good story if you want to learn a bit more about the Unreal 4 engine. It's from WIRED, and a good read.

Zen Zen, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I can tell that "Zen" woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Well I apologize, but yes, Zen did wake up; on rather the wrong side of the bed! Sensitive "hot button" or not, I shouldn't have let a simple thing like a gaming engine effect me as it did. Oh I'm better now, just woke up from about a 6 hours sleep, sipping down my Foldgers Breakfast Blend, eating a scone and listening to smooth jazz via web radio, it's already a good day, so the rants should be at a minimum today!

lipe123 said:

((Disclaimer : Just my opinion))

Cause the unreal engine is typically free/very affordable. Everything else is expensive or hard to create from scratch.

PinothyJ said:

((Disclaimer : Just my opinion))

One hundred and sixty-six games have been made on UE3 alone.

Highlights:

• Alice: Madness Returns
  • Batman games (Rocksteady) - GotY
  • Bioshock games (the first two were on UE2) - GotY
  • Borderlands games - GotY
  • DC Universe
  • Devil May Cry
  • Dungeon Defenders games
  • Gears of War games - GotY
  • Mass Effect games - GotY
  • Medal of Honor games (only some)
  • Mirror's Edge
  • Mortal Combat
  • Red Orchestra 2
  • Sanctum
  • Singularity
  • Sorcery
  • Spec Ops: The Line
  • Star Wars 1313
  • Tom Clancy games (some)
  • Tribes: Ascend
  • Warp

What do I win...

Zen Zen, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Man, people really are getting a little jumpy jumpy with what I said. This has kind of turned into a fact finding mission, the bulk of the facts being present in not necessarily my favor. I think I did my best to prove to people I had "cooled my jets" on this!

I know it was silly of me to get all uppity uppity about a stupid gaming engine! Oh well, cooler heads prevail now!

PinothyJ : What do you win? Okay since were talking about Unreal, you just won yourself a used copy of UT 1999, with the limited edition bonus CD! lol

Happy playing! :p

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Now that things have calmed down a bit I'll give my two cents. I kind of agree with what Zen said at first - I believe the first thing released on the new engine should be shocking... jaw dropping... not very similary (especially in presentation) to anything already out. It should be something that really shows off and differentiates itself from other games and not just to me or other tech savvy users, but also to someone who knows very little about game engines and the tech behind them. As mentioned previously in this thread, based on the very little we see about the game (and the 10 minute breakdown I saw about the only 2 minute video) it presents very similarly to TF2 but with a collection sort of aspect to it. I want to see something that is as magnificent in presentation as the internal tech demo they showed off here:

Battlefield Hero's on Steriods it looks like..Being cartoonie as it is..I know different engine ..But looks like a cartoon..

Maybe use it for Saturday cartoon shows..They would look awesome..

MilwaukeeMike said:

Maybe use it for Saturday cartoon shows..They would look awesome..

Actually they wouldn't look any different. UE4 doesn't improve the capability of graphics for shows and movies, it allows for real-time rendering of things that previously had to be done ahead of time because of the processing requried. You know how an intro video to a game looks 100 times cooler than the actualy game? UE4 will allow the game to look just as cool. For a show or movie they could always add as much detail as they wanted because it was no big deal if it took a few minutes to render a single frame.