Weekend Open Forum: Your favorite co-op games

By on July 20, 2012, 6:30 PM

While I enjoy the heck out of single and competitive multiplayer games, it's hard to match the fun of a well-produced co-op experience in my opinion. There's something particularly engrossing about tackling in-game obstacles with a coordinated effort. Unfortunately, few titles step up to the plate and those that do generally take a halfhearted swing, providing mediocre secondary campaigns and stale survival modes -- assuming you can even work through the connectivity issues that still plague many games.

I've had the best time with indie offerings such as Trine and Shank lately, likely because they're cheaper so I have lower expectations and they're often more conducive to local co-op, eliminating network problems from the equation. I preordered Torchlight II recently and I'm hoping Runic won't disappoint. Portal 2, both Left 4 Dead titles, Rayman Origins and Borderlands are some noteworthy retail releases with competent co-op elements, though the last uses GameSpy for online access which can be a headache.

Given the ongoing seasonal promotions at Steam and Green Man Gaming, it seems like a great time to list your favorite co-op PC games while there's still a chance for others to get them on sale. Naturally, you're also welcome to share your experience with any other co-op game, new or old, console or PC. As a side note, if you've been on the fence about grabbing Torchlight II, I have a spare copy of the original entry collecting dust. The first person without the game to message me on Steam can have it for free.

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand. Seriously, I had friends that laughed when I suggested it but once they actually played it in co-op the laughing stopped...

Borderlands was a great game, but the co-op was crap. It didn't even have a roll system for loot. That's just plain terrible.

The best co-op game I've ever played is Resident Evil 5. No other game has even come close.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Just a heads up, Torchlight is spoken for.

Lurker101 said:

I guess I'm going to have to be the one to say Super Smash TV then?

GeforcerFX GeforcerFX said:

I know its not PC, but N64 007 Golden Eye

Staff
Shawn Knight Shawn Knight said:

I absolutely wore Left 4 Dead out before moving to Call of Duty. I tried to get some friends into Forza but that didn't really work.

Ranger12 Ranger12 said:

I guess I'm going to have to be the one to say Super Smash TV then?

HAHA agreed!

I would pick either L4D2, Borderlands, or Diablo. So hard to pick a winner.

Wait a sec....does Minecraft count as Co-op? If so it wins hands down.

killing floor

treeski treeski said:

I totally LOVE co-op games... but unfortunately I haven't played many as my buds don't always jump on the same games. Left 4 Dead series and Portal 2 are of course great. Diablo 2 was fun stuff.

ikesmasher said:

I just realized I cant think of a single coop game ive played. ever. Maybe I have one or two...

I guess ive played halo 3 co op. and the donkey kong country games. but thats it.

TitoBXNY TitoBXNY said:

Serious Sam was a blast to play with my buddies. Diablo 2 and 3.

nismo91 said:

lost planet 2. then portal 2, titan quest, shadowflare, and alot of older games.. oh and the half life decay too.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

I have never have had CO-OP experience before, but if I were to give it a shot, I'd go for Battlefield 3, or better MW3.

Uncharted 3

FEAR 3

Killing Floor

Borderlands

Portal 2

resistance 2 _______ (unforgettable moments)

resident evil 5 _____ (Good one)

Left4Dead ________ (Funny with friends)

yRaz yRaz said:

Twixtea said:

Resident Evil 5

Portal 2

Lost Planet 2

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Lots of love for Resident Evil 5 eh? I played some of the original on the PlayStation but I haven't kept up with the series. I thought about grabbing RE5 a while back and I watched some videos to check it out. I thought the combat looked clunky and potentially frustrating, but I might pick it up after all.

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

Same here, from the trailers and stuff I've seen it always looked more actiony than scary though, but maybe worth a buy anyways.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

L4D2 - have had a lot of fun with that game even though I'm crappy as hell at it. Have had a lot of fun playing that game with other TS members.

Also a big Unreal Tournament fan, but those folks who play it are few and far between and for whatever reason, the multiplayer on Steam doesn't work. Bummer...a great co-op game.

secret of mana ftw

Alpha Gamer Alpha Gamer said:

Resident Evil 5 is so far the best co-op experience I've ever had.

Last week, me and my girl finished Diablo III together, it was also great.

Yesterday, I bought Splinter Cell Conviction to my friend, so that we can play the co-op campaign in lan.

JCrysis86 JCrysis86 said:

For PC - Borderlands My Buddy and I put around 120 hours together in the game

Dead Island - Really fun co-op

Diablo 3

Global Agenda

Ghost Recon - Advanced Warfighter 1/2

Nation Red

Transformers - War for Cybertron

Warhammer 40k Space Marine

Killing Floor

And you can't mention co-op without mentioning Halo 1,2,3,ODST, Reach AMAZING CO-OP

And Gears of War 1,2,3

Hunted - Demon Forge

Brink - not really great but entertaining for a little while

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

I have fond memories of playing Halo coop with my little brother, more recently playing the Torchlight 2 beta with my wife.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

An old not so great game for the PS2 called Operation Winback is my highlight. It had an amazing up to 4-player battle mode that me and my mates played for weeks on the PS2's 4 joypad multi-tap.

Story mode wasn't much to shout about but the multi-player was something else fun wise.

foreverzero89 said:

lets see.....double dragon, battle toads, the second teenage mutant ninja turtles arcade version. I knw theres more, I just can't remember right now.

1 person liked this | hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

L4D2 and BF3 (Conquest and Rush modes)

Saying on forehand I'm slightly biased as I'm a civ aficionado,

but I loved playing coop Civ IV with my mates everyone their own nation against teams of 3 cpu players :)

secret of mana +1 ;)

time splitters 1/2/3 (ps2/xbox(360))

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

River City Ransom!

Guardian Heroes

Double Dragon!!!

or...TMNT on the NES

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

The only coop games I really played was arcade games when I was a kid. Double Dragon and TMNT come to mind as favorites.

fimbles fimbles said:

River City Ransom!

Guardian Heroes

I remember guardian heroes, played gunstar heroes too. awesome games!

Super contra 3 (probotector)

Saints row the third also worth a mention.

danhodge danhodge said:

Its an odd suggestion, but the coop missions/free roam on GTA4 were quite fun...

I hear GTA3 was better, but I never played that.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Doom 3 coop mod, best ever

left4dead 2 was great till I swapped my xbox for a ps3 not knowing wasnt available on ps3 :S although payday:the heist is along the same lines but not as good call of duty blackops zombies is good for co-op...but battlefield 2 on the pc is still a great co-op team game better than battlefield 3 just not as good graphics we need more co-op games.....

river city ransom +1

Zen Zen, TechSpot Paladin, said:

One suggestion, don't try and use Steam to play Unreal Tournament in multiplayer! I personally choose to use the built in multiplayer feature that comes stock with the game. I play everything from Unreal Tournament 1999 to Unreal III and all those games have reasonable stock multiplayer functionality!

But to answer this topic areas question, personally, my favorite co-op multiplayer game at present time has to be Call of Duty 4 "Modern Warfare"!

psycros psycros said:

Left4Dead; BF1942, esp. mods like Desert Combat, Eve of Destruction; Total Annihilation; Dungeon Siege; Diablo II; Darkstone; Hidden and Dangerous; Unreal Tournament; Serious Sam 1 and 2; Duke Nukem 3D; Blood (ye gods, my <I>kingdom</I> for a worthy sequel) and so many more I've forgotten.

I notice an awful lot of good co-op games start with 'D' or have words starting with 'D" in the title. Hmmm...

Lurker101 said:

Super Smash TV doesn't have a single D in it

Don't play multi-player, don't play co-op. Only single player.

'Nuff said.

Renrew Renrew said:

In Starcraft II:

mods Special Forces Elite and Hero Attack

WildEast said:

Big fan of coop games here, here is what I've played on the PC so far:

Recommended:

Gears of War - good action pack but limited coop features

Resident Evil 5 - good as well but got lots of coop features

Trine 2 - really fun

Lara Croft and the guardian of light - full of coop elements and is really fun as well

Okai:

Sanctum - ehh not much, a tower defense game

Renegade Ops - really good but not great

Rage - short coop mode, not worth it for coop only

Magicka - fun and all but does have networking issues + buggy

Lost planet 2 - Bugs+Bugs

Pmazzei said:

Guantlet

Hunters: The Reckoning.

Goldeneye is deathmatch not co-op

PC:

- Doom 2 (Good times co-op'ing this monster on DWANGO)

- Duke Nukem 3d

- Serious Sam the Second Encounter/2 (just point and click)

- Blood

- Diablo II

Arcade:

- Smash TV

- Final Fight

- Bubble Bobble

- Raiden II

- Alien vs Predator

- Lethal Enforcers/Operation Wolf (the originator of SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY)

- Golden Axe

- Metal Slug series

Consoles:

- Contra/Contra III The Alien Wars

- Double Dragon II

- Battletoads series

- Life Force

- sports games that are team-based

- TimeSplitters

- Super Mario Bros 3/Super Mario World (you share the same objective within the same game)

Many others, dinner ready, too hungry to think of more :D

Marnomancer Marnomancer said:

I personally found the combat system amazing w.r.t. RE1-3. Though over-the-shoulder is not my preference, it's better than a fixed-position camera.

Somian said:

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter (PC version). extremely hard but awesome in co-op because you're really dependent on each other and after one hour in the combat zone without the possibility to quick save your hands are shaking and every sound makes you crazy as you cover each others backs and peer in every corner with your night vision googles (or the sun is so bright that the dark corners are blacked out)