Apple wants judge to ban eight Samsung handsets from the US market

By on August 28, 2012, 8:30 AM

Apple has presented a federal judge with a list of eight devices they want pulled from store shelves in the US. Judge Lucy Koh reportedly asked Apple for a list of offending devices following Cupertino’s favorable ruling over the South Korean electronics giant late last week.

All of the devices on the list are, unsurprisingly, smartphones. The unlucky eight include the Galaxy S 4G, Galaxy S2 on AT&T, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S2 on T-Mobile, Galaxy S2 Epic 4G, Galaxy S Showcase, Droid Charge and the Galaxy Prevail.

A decision was made in June to also ban the Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet over concerns that it might violate one or more of Apple’s design patents. The company is now asking the judge to revoke that ban because the jury found it didn’t violate any design patents. They did, however, come to the conclusion that software on the tablet violates those owned by Apple – specifically, those relating to bounce-back and pinch-to-zoom features.

Koh has planned a hearing for September 20 to discuss the product bans although Samsung is asking for more time to prepare, it’s unclear at this hour if the judge plans to reschedule the hearing.

Furthermore, Apple is also planning to ask Koh to triple the damages they were initially awarded to $3.15 billion based on the jury finding that Samsung willfully copied the design of the iPhone in several of their smartphones. Samsung is planning to appeal the verdict all the way up to the Supreme Court if necessary.

rvnwlfdroid said:

Can't we all just get along? By no means are either company hurting in the device market. Apple has a large group of followers (zombies) because they produce a basically trouble free product as long as you can put up with their propitiatory software (iTunes). For those of us (myself included) who prefer the Android platform and are willing to deal with having to reboot the device every so often then just it be. There's enough followers out there for each product.

This is such bs ;-;

apple needs to calm the @#!$ down, b/c if this new iphone isn't pretty bitchin, well...*facepalm*

Alvaro Alvaro said:

Good thing about this is that Samsung will stop producing shitty designs.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

Wow. Apple can go die in a hole already. This goes well beyond patent trolling and it absolutely pisses me off...

Neojt said:

So when are we going to see an Anti trust investigation on Apple ?

1 person liked this | Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I think the "honorable" Lucy Koh is in Apple's pocket.

2 people like this | Tygerstrike said:

There are SOME similarities between Apple and Samsung phones. The Galaxy Prevail looks a tiny bit like a Iphone in general shape. Then again it also resembles a playing card. You know rectangle with rounded corners. I wonder if the company that made/makes card games will sue Apple for copying the design of playing Cards. I can see it now. NEW IPHONE6 By Hoyle!!!!

Zoltan Head said:

Absolutely! Maybe Apple will sue Motorhead for recording "Ace of Spades"?

Jim$ter said:

They so blatantly copied Apples design at the beginning...Any amateur could see that....Hopefully they learned there lesson and will come out with better products. I love Samsung but it was so obvious!

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Great.....Apple. You can ban my $%&%alls.

jeromie said:

Samsung could design a round phone maybe similar in shape to an apple and patent it. So when Apple gets jealous they will have to pay Samsung to use THEIR design. Also they could make the phone icons spin in a circle like a Star Gate Dial.

1 person liked this | Neojt said:

Come on

look at all the Flat PC monitor and tell me they dont all look alike

Look at all the good old Flip phones and tell me they dont all look alike

Look at all the Pre smat phone slide out keyboard phones and tell me they dont all look alike

I can go on all day and im sure im not the only one.....

oh man im typing this on a keyboard that looks exacly like the one of the other brand ....

j05hh j05hh said:

My Apple Care up |_| = empty , apple can burn for all I care.

1 person liked this | ETF Soldier ETF Soldier said:

I really don't understand how Apple can hate Samsung so much, considering Samsung supply a majority of the components! Either way Apple are going way too far in this patent case, they are just trying to flush Samsung out of the picture, but it's hardly like Apple are getting any better in the first place, from the iPhone 4, to the 4S there was minimal difference, they're milking the court case as much as they are for their own products. Why can't Apple just realise that in the Software patents, Samsung are just utilizing a feature that actually makes it easier for their customers, you don't hear Nintendo (or whoever it was) sueing everyone of the Analog Stick Patent, or Activision sueing almost every other game company for using the same sort of structure for the game's main menu. Apple are just taking it too far. They've officially lost a customer.

Screw Apple.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

This is how apple want to get rid of the competitor(s), after samsung, who's next? LG? sony ericsson? HTC?

ikesmasher said:

They cant be a monopoly so they are just gonna boot out any real competition and use the crappy companies phones as an excuse.

lipe123 said:

Just wow. This "design patent" nonsense is just crazy.

Back in the day when all phones looked the same no one did this, its freaking common sense to make it in such a way that its practical. FFS do they want everyone else to start using triangle, octagon, hexagon, etc shapes because apple owns the patent on a mother****** RECTANGLE with rounded corners??!

How the hell did they manage to get that patent awarded in the first place, is the patent office on crack or something 24/7?

You don't see microsoft suing the whole world for having windows in their homes, even tho they probably could if they wanted to be like apple.

This is the most ridiculous BS yet with all these patent disputes!

Screw apple, I never bought their products and never will. This will only want me to stay away from them more.

Doing this only proves that they are no longer able to innovate and expand they current product mix.

This is actually good for samsung; they now have the opportunity to come up with technology/design far greater than the I-phone.

p51d007 said:

If Samsung is smart, they already have some updated devices in the pipeline.

I hope they kick Apple's butt next cycle. I noticed that my (international) Galaxy Note

isn't on the list. Other than the FIVE POINT THREE INCH SCREEN, it is exactly like

the G2. So why didn't they put the Note on the list?

Apple just wants the most popular devices that "compete" with the iJunk yanked.

I think this is going to backfire on Apple.

avoidz avoidz said:

I tolerated Apple products but don't use them, but this aggressive type of behaviour from them is completely unacceptable. Do they have so much money now they can just do as they please and manipulate the courts and have any competition eliminated at the snap of their fingers?

Zen Zen, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I could be totally wrong here, but I don't remember to much "aggressive behavior" on Apples part about things like patent issues when Steve Jobs was alive and in charge of the company! When Steve was in charge I kind-a remember Apple being sort of a softer and gentler company, kind of like "peace" & "love" & "no nukes"! But since Steve's passing it appears that whoever is in charge has transformed the company from being something rather "groovy" and "hippy" to "blood thirsty"!

Doesn't Apple have anything better to do, like maybe design a better phone?

Camikazi said:

Doesn't Apple have anything better to do, like maybe design a better phone?

Yea cause it wasn't Steve Jobs who said he is willing to drain the entire Apple warchest to take out Android and is willing to go thermonuclear on Android right? Suits just take time to setup and Steve happened to pass before they could all go on in force but he was there when this was starting up he was the leader.

dcnc123 dcnc123 said:

Hahaha.... this makes it worse apple.... Your Not competitive anymore.... Better Spend your money and time developing a better iphone. I you think you can still beat samsung....

I almost bought an iphone. Now I will never. Apple may have a decent phone and product line-up, but I will never spend my hard earned money on their utter nonsense.

Screw apple. Thats why I went and got 3 new Galaxy S3's !!!!!! for my family...

dennis777 dennis777 said:

Has someone patent the onscreen keyboard? or the "copy & paste"???

a zooming feature can be patent? hahahaha

cant wait till apple launch its iTV.... then samsung will sue apple because it has a power button that samsung has patent.

Samsung will just switch to Windows Phone 8 OS.......

Shhh you might give some CEOs some more bad ideas to hurt us consumers some more. All patent laws seem to do these days is get abused, and make the consumers pay more for the same crap. You know in the end we are going to pay more. The licensing fees for patents cost 50 times more than the actual phone does. Who do you think pays that in the end? .......

We do.

It's not just samsung, its everything. Soon I wont be able to fart without infringing a copyright or a patent.

Jibberish18 said:

This is all getting WAY out of hand.

xempler said:

I currently own a apple iphone. It lasts me a good 6-8 hrs before the battery dies. And that's with very limited usage. I was told to turn off almost all the features on the phone so I can improve my battery life. Basically like buying an expensive sports car but told to keep in under 25 miles and never turn on the radio. I hope Samsung appeals and wins because I seriously want to buy a Galaxy phone next time around.

Capaill said:

In a recent Groklaw analysis reported by Techspot it lists the fines that Samsung have to pay on their phones for breaking the patents. What interests me is that there is no penalty for the Galaxy S or S2, but there is for the US versions of them:

Galaxy S . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .0

Galaxy S 4G . . . . . . . . .73,344,668

Galaxy S II (AT&T). . . . . .40,494,356

Galaxy S II (i9000). . . . . . . . . .0

Galaxy S II (T-Mobile). . . .83,791,708

Galaxy S II (Epic 4G Touch).100,326,988

Galaxy S II (Skyrocket) . . .32,273,558

Galaxy S (Showcase) . . . . .22,002,146

I'm confused by this as I doubt there is much difference between an international S2 and the AT&T version of it. Or the T-Mobile version. Or did the jury somehow magically only target Samsung's US market.

Now I'm not saying that the US-based jury is pro-US and voted in favour of a US company while at the same time finding that the same US company didn't breach any of the 3 patents that the Asian company accused them of stealing....

... but I'm fairly sure the Apple phones let a user listen to music while using another application (multi-tasking). Yet the jury found that Apple had not breached that Samsung patent?

I have never been a fan of Apple as I'm not a fan of anyone that locks me into using one app (iTunes). I prefer the freedom to choose. And while I agree that Samsung's early smartphones were very similar in appearance to the Apple phones, they were clearly different as soon as you turned them on.

I'm fed up of hearing about Apple getting a court to back some vague patent about the shape of a smartphone or tablet. It's complete lunacy. Fight the patents that matter, not the ones that will stifle the entire smartphone industry for years to come.

I was going to ask why the FCC hasn't stepped in to put a stop to all this. But it's probably because Samsung is not a US company. Perhaps that is why Apple didn't go after Motorola or Google. They are waiting to get a court precedent on their side before tackling the US companies.

Ugh would crApple just die already ?!?!

merdin said:

Apple is nothing more than a patent troll. In the absence of actual innovation, they are instead fighting dirty by attempting to sabotage all competitors. That is not the way a truly innovative and competitive company operates. **** u apple you are nothing more than a ******* dirt bag hope all you apple fuckers burn in hell.....

Capaill said:

Can you imagine what it would be like if someone had patented the circular wheel? While competitors struggled to get square wheels to work (they don't, Mythbusters proved it) the patent owner would be cleaning up the market. Fast forward to today and luxury cars would be the ones with 4 wheels! The rest of us would be on unicycles (praying we don't get a puncture) or walking the 10 miles to work.

Zoltan Head said:

Apple is nothing more than a patent troll. In the absence of actual innovation, they are instead fighting dirty by attempting to sabotage all competitors. That is not the way a truly innovative and competitive company operates. **** u apple you are nothing more than a ****ing dirt bag hope all you apple ****ers burn in hell.....

What a frightfully witty comment! Well Done! (y)

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

If you thought Microsoft was greedy, then you ain't never dealt with Apple.

teribithia said:

Apple you win, WTF. HTC has been beaten by apple in the early 2011 Dec, Now it is the time turn to Motorola. I think

Tygerstrike said:

Think of Apple like The Hulk....We have made it mad by buying non Iphones. Now APPLE SMASH!!!!!

Mohankr.vish said:

Apple developed but Samsung Survived, it doesn't matter actually who was the created of this Design..

whether apple or somebody else but now SAMSUNG is on the market n every where...

Best phone ever with good price...not like apple which cost us alot