Catalog Database Corruption in Microsoft Windows

By Thomas McGuire on April 16, 2003, 5:56 PM
This update resolves issues associated with the catalog database Windows uses to ensure the integrity of installed binaries. Update 817287 allows the database to repair itself if corruption occurs. This update also improves performance of the catalog database & anything using Microsoft Cryptographic Services NT Service (CryptSvc.dll), including Microsoft Windows Media Player, & Microsoft Media. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

Download Now.

Snead said:
When I tried to install this update, I got this message;"No Updates Were InstalledThe following items failed to install. To try installing them again, click Review and install updates, and then click Install Now again.Q817287: Critical Update (Catalog Database Corruption in Microsoft Windows)"I never had a problem before trying to install this update. I don't know how to correct this problem and could not find an answer in Microsoft's Knowledge Base.Cheers,Snead
timmoore said:
If you open C:WUTemp, the update will still be in there if the installation was failed. Open it and install manually and you should be fine. Windows Update normally deletes all updates downloaded after install, failed ones will remain. Good Luck :grinthumb !
Snead said:
Thanks for the response timmoore,I looked in c:WUTemp but nothing was there. I tried to update again and got the error message "Q817287: Critical Update (Catalog Database Corruption in Microsoft Windows)" checked the database and it shows Q817287 was succesfully install and then there are several listing showing it Failed to install. I don't know if I can make correction in the data base of rebuild it. I'll try MS Knowledge base again but I never seem to get any where there, I do better on Google!Cheers,Snead
Unregistered said:
Would appreciate if someone could tell how to solve it.I have the problem not only with this update but also with another one.Jens
UnregisteredUsr said:
I seem to be having the problem for the last 2 weeks. These particular updates seem to be failing. When I go the View Installtion History it say "Failed to Download". Though when I Downloaded the particular file, it give me Cryptograhic error. "Setup could not fing the integrity of the file Update.inf". However the Cryptograhich services are running. Netstop Cryptsvcs does not work, neither does renaming Catroot. I check the Xpspchk. Checked activation of XP. Everything is fine. Anybody with insight into this particular issues, do help. Thanks in Advance.
Sarge said:
Why is there no Security Bulliten for Q187287 (or if there is, why does searching TechNet and Microsoft for "Q187287" return nothing relevent?) Did those trained monkeys who run Microsod screw up? Again? I think so.
TS | Thomas said:
You're search for the wrong bulletin, that's why. It's here [url]http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=817287[/url]
Sarge said:
[url]http://search.microsoft.com/default.asp?qu=Q817287&boole
n=ALL&nq=NEW&so=RECCNT&p=1&ig=01&ig=02&ig=03&ig=04&i=00&i=
1&i=02&i=03&i=04&i=05&i=06&i=07&i=08&i=09&i=10&i=11&i=12&i
13&i=14&i=15&i=16&i=17&i=18&i=19&i=20&i=21&i=22&i=23&i=24&
=25&i=26&i=27&i=28&i=29&i=30&i=31&i=32&i=33&i=34&i=35&i=36
i=37&i=38&i=39&siteid=us/itresources[/url]Search Results-----------------------------------------------------
--------------------------for "Q817287" using All words ------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------Search needs a word or phrase to search for. Please try again.Search needs a category to search for. Please try again.Please enter a unique search to refine your results. You entered "Q817287" for your previous search, and those results are reflected in the list below. Sorry, no results were found for this search
TS | Thomas said:
Errm, ok. But I just posted you the link for that article ;)See? [url]http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=817287[/url]
wader said:
Does anyone know of a place to get update Q817287 WITHOUT going through Windows Update (the update is needed to make update work, a catch-22)?I am unable to install any updates via Windows Update. This problem only started occurring last night (8-16-2003); I previously installed many updates with no problem. In fact, I thought I had NEVER had the problem, but upon viewing the Windows Update installation history, I find that previous attempts to install XP service pack 1 failed. Since I purchased OEM Windows XP Professional from Fry’s Electronics at the same time I bought all the stuff to build my computer, I am (I just learned) ineligible for support from MicrosoftAfter searching the Microsoft web site and the Internet for information about this problem, today I managed to install SP1a without going through Windows Update.The suggested solutions that I have already attempted are as follows (none were successful):I downloaded and ran the blaster-worm remover, fixblast.exe, from Symantec; it found NO blaster worm on my computer.I ran Norton WinDoctor and, according to it, have no problems.I disabled my Norton Antivirus.I performed:net stop cryptsvcrename %systemroot%system32catroot2 oldcatrootnet start cryptsvcANDnet start cryptsvcregsvr32 softpub.dllregsvr32 wintrust.dllregsvr32 initpki.dllregsvr32 dssenh.dllregsvr32 rsaenh.dllregsvr32 gpkcsp.dllregsvr32 sccbase.dllregsvr32 slbcsp.dllregsvr32 cryptdlg.dllI ran gpedit.msc to allow end users to select trusted publishers, only to find a “no software restriction policies defined” message.I changed my IE settings to enable install-on-demand and to accept all cookies.I tried, UNSUCCESSFULLY, to find Q817287 for download without going through Windows Update.
TS | Thomas said:
When you load windowsupdate you can add a link to the "Windows update catalog" via the "Personalize windowsupdate" link. Do so, then click on that new link. You'll need to just select your OS as XP SP1, update type -> Critical Updates and Service Packs, contains these words -> catalog. That'll bring it up.
Shrew said:
I had the exact same issues, and resolved it using this Microsoft tip. Hope it helps:[url]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb
EN-US;817753[/url]