Weekend Open Forum: What type of mouse pad do you use?

By on November 2, 2012, 7:00 PM

Two realizations struck me while seeking a new mouse pad recently: 1) there's a lack of small plastic pads from major gaming accessory makers, and 2) folks take there mouse surfaces very seriously. On my journey, I found debates about the ideal material, with people defending cloth, plastic, aluminum, glass, leather and carbon fiber offerings from countless companies as the "best" choice. Others were more peculiar.

A few eccentric souls swore by marble or granite tiles they acquired as free samples from Home Depot, some trimmed flexible plastic cutting boards to size, while others taped parchment paper to their desks. Of course, there were also those who scoffed at the notion of using a dedicated mouse surface, insisting that they topped score charts with a wood tabletop and a decade-old freebie mouse from their first computer.

How about you? Do you prefer any specific size, material or brand? I used the QcK Mini for a while but eventually wanted something slicker and easier to clean. Hard plastic was a given, but such pads from Razer and the like were too big (I need something about 9x8" to fit on my keyboard tray). I settled on this 3M solution, which isn't much of a looker, but it functions well and you can't argue with its price (currently $5).

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

[link]

Who uses mice anymore? I've used Kensington Trakballs for years! No bumping into things, running out of space. No pad needed. No carpal tunnel. Etc, etc.

Win7Dev said:

I use a logitech mx anywhere mouse, and I don't need any mouse pad. I just use whatever is next to my laptop. Sometimes the arm of a recliner, sometimes the glass table on my porch, sometimes just the carpet on the floor. It really does work well anywhere.

Staff
Jesse Jesse said:

I haven't used a mousepad in 10 years.

colinf said:

Razer sphex

paper thin,easy to clean and works perfect with my Mionix mouse

howzz1854 said:

Xtrac Ripper pads work really well for both my MX518 and Razor Mumba. so well that I ordered more of it.

Trechie said:

With a laser mouse, you don't need a mousepad. My mousepad is now my coaster for hot tea.

GeforcerFX GeforcerFX said:

My trackball mice requires no mouse pad, bought my friend a rocketfish one for him to game on, he liked it, bought a Saitek cyborg one for a gaming mouse I have but never really use the mouse anymore.

KbloodyK KbloodyK said:

I have a Logitech M505 wireless mouse, and my mousepad is an old tee-shirt sleeve.

1 person liked this | Dawn1113 said:

I did a great deal of experimentation, trying to find a mouse pad that suits my particular gaming habits. In the end, I settled for the bare surface of my desk: it has just the right amount of grain and texture to support a precise aim when I need it; and is, at the same time, smooth enough to permit quick and steady turns.

Coodu Coodu said:

Current an old Goliathus mousemat, Speed I think? I haven't really worried about getting a new one since I swapped to using Mac/Playing less intense games that warrant a decent mousemat hehe.

Lionvibez said:

Also a Razer Vespula user love it!

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

I used to use Stay Free until that got too expensive then I just went to a generic brand.

Oh wait..you said mouse pad...

MajorSpacecase MajorSpacecase said:

I use an 18"x24" Quilters 'Teflon Pressing sheet' (cleans right up with a damp cloth) held down with binder clips with my MX518 mouse. Even at the lowest DPI setting, I can do a 720 spin in no time, with room to spare. But I also have a 'Trackball' at my bedside for when I rotate my 22" monitor around to watch movies in bed.

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

Razer Goliathus Speed Edition :o

killeriii said:

Still using my MX1000 laser mouse I picked up 7 years ago. (only mouse that fits my hand without cramping) Thing works great on any surface. Surprisingly, the battery still holds a charge for weeks.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I use exactly what pad Matthew uses.

A 3M "Precise Mousing Surface." It's a small footprint - 7 x 8.5 inches, very thin - 0.02 inches and has an adhesive back to mount to my desk so it never slides around. Has always provided optimal response for whatever laser mouse I've used. In fact, I was in an OfficeMax about 6 months ago when they were on sale and I bought 5 of them. So guess I'll be using them forever now.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

Currently using a Corsair Vengeance MM200 Standard Gaming Mouse Mat.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Razer Goliathus Control Edition. Have a speed edition and a brushed aluminium plate also, but both tend to be a bit skittery with the Teflon mousefeet

Im using speed stacks stackmat thats 34.5" 12.5" lol

None, I got a Logitech Trackball.

My couch is my mouse pad I sit on it with the mouse along side at butt/legs level and im gaming away

im using logitech g9x

Porters said:

XD you can tell where I'm from (if you know much about UK stereotypes) I have a freebie mat with an advert on it for 'www.bagandbale.com'

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

I used to use a Hardocp Ratzpad, however it started bending in the middle and I got tired of bending it back...

A friend recommended me a Func Surface 1030 and that is what I've been using for the last years, works great!

As for mice I've long loved the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 but their build quality has become crap in the last 5 years or so. (The micro switches get worn out causing the mouse to either miss clicks or double click when you single click)

I bought a Razer / Microsoft Habu gaming mouse however that did not last so longer either, and was overall a quite buggy mouse. (First time I've had to update the firmware in my mouse!)

Now I have owned a A4Tech X7 Oscar Gaming Mouse X-748K for 1.5 years and I love it, it's really cheap but has great build quality, precision & feel!

treetops treetops said:

Razer sphex, paper thin cost more then my current mouse, around 25$. you gotta be careful with it, iv had it for 3 years but I can see how it can easily break

1 person liked this | 63Jax said:

A leather one made by me

Razer Goliathus Speed Edition Extended, the reason was long enough to put my keyboard on it

JWayne JWayne said:

I use a memory foam mouse pad, it's soft on my wrist and the mouse operates, more smoothly and effeciently, but I'd rather use any 'ol mouse pad over no mouse pad.

I built my own mousepad from a solid plate of aluminum alloy. Cut it by myself (using LN2 for make the perfect cut), make the edges rounded then polished the side to near-mirror (with machine), then chamfered it..

I have two 3M "Precise Mousing Surface". Bought in 1998 & 2001 (if I remember correctly)

My 1st is : http://images.yourdictionary.com/mouse-pad

Second : [link] .

g4mer said:

Who uses mice anymore?.

Everyone.

I use a piece of brown baking paper taped to my desk and teflon skates on the mouse itself. Looks like shit but the mouse glides so smooth I have yet to find a mousepad skate combo that can match it.

SteelSeries QcK Mini Gaming Mouse Pad the best for gaming

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Steelseries thin mouse pad, I think I spend $5. I've used the 3m ones before, they're quite good.

gobbybobby said:

Logitech MX518

had it 2 years, still works as new, long sessions are a breeze with this thing, I believe there is a newer model of the MX518, ive considered upgrading, but my current works fine and I can't afford a new mouse really unless it was an emergency (IE it broke), and the new one might suck, never know, change can be bad!

Razer Destructor

Mamoon69 said:

I haven't used a mouse pad in several years. My current mouse is "Logitech Wireless Laser Gaming Mouse G700" which can work on almost any surface.

veLa veLa said:

Steelseries Qck I believe is the name

1 person liked this | Alpha Gamer Alpha Gamer said:

A4 sheet of paper

This

Good Support and the base is adherent so it doesn't slide except you put a lot of force.

Using a Microsoft Trackball Optical Explorer. Don't need a mouse pad... LOL

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

I have this rubber-made genetic mouse pad. I don't take mouse pads seriously, it's the mouse that I'm most concerned with and how can I clean it easily.

nismo91 said:

A diy mousepad for Logitech M705. the laser is too shitty to work on most surface otherwise. also Razer Pro Pad that comes free with the Razer ProClick 1.6 I purchased few yrs back.

other mouse I own doesn't require any form of mouse pad to perform properly. even the cheapest wireless Logitech M185. that being said, I always use all my mice on wooden table.

1 person liked this | dawei1993 said:

uhh anyone but you probably uses a mouse. Wow I can't believe someone still uses trackball! Not an insult but seriously I have never seen someone use a trackball lately. If you are a gamer, can I ask how you game?? Just very very interested.

emmzo said:

Razer Goliathus control edition mostly...

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

I use an Allsop mouse pad, the kind with the water bubble appearance on it. Mine is black and I bought it in about 1998 or 1999 and still using it. Some of the fabric has started to come up in the bottom right, so now its turned 180 degrees.

The little fun fact I have on the mousepad is, I liked the design so much that in later years I bought a couple more for my other desktops. The ones I bought later are only about 3/4 as thick. Guess Allsop decided they wanted to save money and just made them thinner...

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Currently I'm using a Razer Extended Speed cut to fit my keyboard tray, looks great and works fantastically. Before that I was using a Sphex but not for that long, its still on my desk, now as a spare/place mat for food. Before that was an Alssop Metal Art pad which I used for almost 10 years before deciding to try something new, it too is still on my desk, useful if I want to mouse on my couch. Also own many freebie pads, which for the most part work just as well as any of the other ones I have. I find you get to a point where your so use to using different mice on every computer with different types of pads that its all irrelevant. If you can honestly tell me that your mousing surface has made you a better gamer or more productive or wtv, I wouldn't believe you for a second.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I was using a blue one until I bought this Gigabyte pad a few months ago.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

Melamine (think: kitchen cupboards) works very well as long as it doesn't mess with your sensor.