Weekend Open Forum: How much time do you spend on the PC daily?

By on January 18, 2013, 6:00 PM

Computers have been an integral part of my life for at least the past 10 years or so. I spent an exuberant amount of time on my PC as a teenager before the Internet was the popular destination that it is today. Things died down a bit while I attended college but after I decided that wasn’t the right path for me, I headed right back to the trusty computer in search of making a living.

Between TechSpot duties, running my own tech site and casual web surfing, it’s not unusual to log upwards of nine hours a day in front of my screens. That number drops a bit on the weekend as I try to get out and do some stuff in the real world, however.

With this week’s open forum, we are curious as to how much time you spend on the computer during the course of an average day whether it’s for business or pleasure.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Easily over 5 hours per day, at times even over 10 when working.

Matt12345170 Matt12345170 said:

I think it would be easier to say when I'm not on the computer for one thing or another, be it school or pleasure. Only time I'm not, is when I'm working, sleeping, or eating.

1 person liked this | Zeromus said:

Sadly the unhealthy amount.

2 people like this | Littleczr Littleczr said:

It's more like how much time of my 24 hours I sped away from the computer. I work I have one at home I have and pluss my phone even whey im before I lose my eyes. The only time is when I go jogging and even then I have my cell phone streaming music. OMG 24/7

ViperGtx ViperGtx said:

Techspot should drop a thread about starting a daily regime of taking a baby asprin a day ( 81mg). Leading cause of death for semi truck drivers is sitting down for long periods of time creating a blockage in the lungs. thus resulting in cardiac arrest. With that being said those guys legally can only drive 8 hours a day. Jeez, why skyrim came out I was logging atleast 6-8 hours a day lmao. Be healthy people is all im trying to say.

25 hours a day !!!

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

My job requires me to be at a PC all day, so there's 8 hours right there, Monday through Friday. I'd say 10 hours per weekday and about 4 per day on weekends. So yeah - damn near 60 hours a week.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Anywhere from 2 to 6 hours.

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

Sadly, I use the computer nearly all the time in my day, except when I'm doing necessities. Even work, as a Game Developer, requires me to be at the computer, so... yeah....

Dawn1113 said:

I'm pretty much glued to the computer at work. So I'd estimate six to seven hours a day during the work week. On weekends, I'd say I spend three to four hours gaming on my PC -- sometimes more.

I do go out with my friends when I can. I also stick to a very strict gym and running routine.

WaveZero said:

Over 10 hours each day that's for sure... That's what happens when you got a really long holiday with nothing much planned out. Waste most of the time watching stuff and reading, chatting to friends and etc.

soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

Huh as I sit here and type this I'm going on 4 hrs straight, which is about average. Thank God I don't sit in front of one for work, I would probably weigh about 400 lbs. I have my own home gym and use it, eat right and go out sometimes. But here I sit, a daily routine.

1 person liked this | Timonius Timonius said:

No Comment ;p

m4a4 m4a4 said:

Several hours on a good day...

1 person liked this | TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

No Comment ;p

Why bother replying?

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

Between three to five hours tops.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Depends on the day, but somewhere in the range of 5 to 12 hours a day.

BlueDrake said:

Too much really. Just nothing exciting to do, no matter how hard you'd try. It would be either that or a console, and really console gaming isn't as appealing. So I'm here mostly all the time, gaming or more each day.

It's downright unhealthy, but still I don't let that stop me. >>; At least until I have literally a distraction every so often, then I'm away from the PC for long periods of time.

veLa veLa said:

When I was off at college maybe 1-3 hours, but often I was away going to classes or the library. On weekends I would always be at parties and my friends homes. Unfortunately I moved and now I spend at least 6 hours a day since I don't have too many friends in the area.

bugejakurt said:

10 hours a day :/

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

This is me - almost exactly.

hellokitty[hk] hellokitty[hk], I'm a TechSpot Evangelist, said:

TechGamer TechGamer said:

Unfortunatly I spend alot of the time on the Pc on the week aprox 8 hrs on the weekend depends if im out all day or just doing something else but the most amazing part in summer I do a whole day sometimes I really dont know but when im on the computer time flys

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

It varies allot, all the way from zero to twelve hours I'd say.

Depends on if I need to use the computer at work or not.

During the weekends it's either out with friends or infront of this PC.

Which reminds me, I better go out now

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

So much time that my computer chair had to go to the shop for an oil change & tune up.

spikester48661 spikester48661 said:

2 to 5 hours a day. on weekends 5 to 7 hours.

supertech supertech said:

It depends what you mean by a PC? At the end of the day, all of the devices such as smartphones, tablets, laptops, are really "personal computers" in one form or another.

I can't be without them so I'm pretty much always connected u less I'm sleeping.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

A good 8 to 10 hours a day normally. Tried to cut down but it's not easy.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Too much time, I'm ashamed to admit how much.

Typical day around 11 - 12 hours, sometimes more like yesterday over 15 hours (work) :(

1 person liked this | R3DP3NGUIN R3DP3NGUIN said:

I'm permanently plugged into the Matrix. Although if I'm killed in the Matrix, I'm usually still alive in the physical, but with a heightened frustration because I'm no longer in the Matrix.

Blkfx1 Blkfx1 said:

Probably around 10 hours a day during work/school week. Which is 6/7 days lol. Sundays I usually sleep so no computing for me.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Longest spent on a PC straight (Bathroom breaks obviously included and eating at my computer) 40-48 hours at Lan Parties easily. Last night was on it for probably close to 10 hours. On average however is different, maybe 3 hours a day, 6 on weekends if I'm not going anywhere.

psycros psycros said:

I think asking this question of people who comment on <I>tech blogs</I> gave it a fairly predictable outcome. My answer, btw, is 1-10 hours, leaning towards the latter number most days. I'm not proud of it, but there it is.

misor misor said:

As my pc is my main entertainment center, probably 12 hours...

I watched tv shows over it.

Ma_ga said:

8hrs of work + gaming + movies + studies = crap load of time in front of the PC.

The average is like 10 hors a day, but can range from 4 to 20.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

During the weekday about 12 hours a day probably, 9 of them at work.

During weekends anywhere from 0 to 12 hours depending on what else is going on...

clubfoot clubfoot said:

I have no idea who these folks are who send out these stats about PC use.

I spend at least five hours per day on my PC at home because I play allot of driving games online. and that's not including the weekends :) And at least eight hours per day at work.

1 person liked this | KbloodyK KbloodyK said:

About 18 out of 24.

the rest of the time I'm sleeping

cuz lets just admit it...

we all take a deice of some kind into the bathroom.

just saying...

LukeDJ LukeDJ said:

Depends whether I have school and/or work or not. On a school day ill spend around 3 hours at home and around 2-3 at school. During the weekend ill spend a good 5-6 hours gaming and surfing the web a day.

avoidz avoidz said:

A lot less than I used to. I no longer slide into bed at 4am after a night at the keyboard downloading new programs and playing with new emulators.

abe10tiger abe10tiger, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I totally ignore my computer on weekdays, unless I have some research to do. On weekdays however, almost all day. XD

fida1989 said:

During working days around 8 hour in office and around 4 hours at home, that makes around 12 hours! In total around 75 hours per week!

JRXP2010 JRXP2010 said:

About 5 hours a day on the weekdays. and maybe 15hrs on the weekends...

Ahmed90 Ahmed90 said:

As long as am not sleeping ? xD

treetops treetops said:

I do college on a computer, I am applying for computer related jobs and when I am home my entertainment hours are spent on the computer. So hmm 10+ hours if I don't go out.

dcnc123 dcnc123 said:

About 8-10 hours with breaks every 20 mins on weekdays due to my work as a android developer and extra services(rooting , unbrick, upgrades etc ). On weekends about five hours at most..... average around 3hours

MarkHughes said:

I work as a programmer and I use my computer for nearly all my entertainment needs from netflix to warcraft, in the week it's got to be close to 13 or 14 hours a day, weekends usually a lot less.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Like many others I work with computers, so I spend most of my day with one. I think that my PC time has been reduced somewhat since I'm married with kids, but I probably still spend around 10 hours a day in front on a PC on weekdays.

Unfortunately 12-15 hours a day...:'(