Microsoft's 128GB Surface Pro will ship with just 83GB of usable space

By on January 29, 2013, 12:00 PM

Microsoft has revealed that the 128GB Surface Pro will ship with just 83GB of usable storage space. No word yet on how much space the 64GB version will arrive with but if the same 45GB is unavailable from the get-go, Microsoft may have a tough time convincing buyers to invest in a premium tablet with just 19GB of storage.

Redmond has yet to update their Surface storage FAQ to reflect Surface Pro figures. Instead, the company made the storage size admission to Softpedia in a recent statement, according to the publication. Microsoft is quick to point out, however, that Surface Pro tablets will come with a USB 3.0 port to connect external storage devices, a microSDXC card slot and 7GB of free space with SkyDrive.

You’d be correct in thinking this all sounds a bit familiar as Microsoft addressed similar issues late last year with Surface for Windows RT tablets. It was revealed at that time that 32GB versions of the tablet would only arrive with 16GB of usable disk space while the higher capacity 64GB model would have just 46GB of usable space on tap.

Microsoft is set to launch the new slates on February 9 starting at just $899. Surface Pro will come pre-installed with a full version of Windows 8 Pro as well as a beefier third generation Intel Core i5 Processor with Intel HD Graphics 4000 and 4GB of RAM. Surface with Windows RT utilizes a quad-core Nvidia Tegra 3 chip with just 2GB of system memory.

Tygerstrike said:

Well from the side view it kinda looks like it might have a spare memory slot. I would guess windows expects its customers to add extra memory.

Rippleman Rippleman said:

Damn, 45 gigs... what do you supposed could be in there?

MilwaukeeMike said:

Big deal... anytime a tablet has a MicroSD slot AND a USB you should buy the smallest internal size they have. They'll charge you twice as much to have the usable space internal, while external storage is much cheaper. I know internal storage is more convenient and you can't install apps to an SD Card, but even 45GB for apps is plenty.

1 person liked this | RH00D RH00D said:

I don't really see this as a big deal any more. I have a 120 GB SSD on my computer with Windows 8 Pro installed and I don't know exactly how much the Windows installation takes up but the only thing I have on the SSD is my music collection (~6 GB) and pictures, and applications. Any video files or otherwise large files get stored on a external 2 TB drive. I also have a large portion of my documents in SkyDrive (and locally stored).

I would only see this as an issue if you were to download a lot of videos to the Surface, but I think most people prefer to stream their movies, or they have high-quality enough rips that they have a dedicated hard drive for them anyway.

treeski treeski said:

It's hard to say if this is really a big deal. It depends on who MS expects to be interested in this kind of tablet. The power of Surface Pro vs RT is of course that it can run standard desktops applications (and presumably pretty well, considering the specs). Limited disk space is an issue if the target user will have many applications to install.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Funny how the initial remarks here are the opposite to the vilification you can see on neowin. Personally I am interested in the 128gb version, and even then I'd probably be tossing in at least a 32gb micro sd card to compliment the on board storage anyways so I look at all the backlash on neowin and scratch my head.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

Damn, 45 gigs... what do you supposed could be in there?

A single uncompressed blu-ray rip, for example or, tickle your fancy, don't say no to nothing

1 person liked this | Jack Thompson Jack Thompson said:

You are missing the point of owning a tablet... If I want to drag around with me multiple hardrives I'll just buy a laptop with bigger hardrive.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'll tell you what I'd be interested in. I'd like to have a notebook with a detachable touchscreen monitor. A monitor that interfaces through wireless with the PC that could be plugged in, to allow for longer processing while you are portable with the touchscreen monitor.

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

At that price I'd rather go with a nice laptop.

3 people like this | Lurker101 said:

You're not allowed to look at this article. It's the OEMs that are hurting Windows 8 sales and nothing else.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

I have a 180GB Agility 2 SSD with only a few games + the OS (Windows 7 64bit) ; and its barely enough. You don't want to use more then 70% of your SSD's storage for max life/performance.

Teko03 said:

True, and while I think 45GB being eaten up fresh out of the box is pretty crappy, you can install and leave a micro-sd card installed for media. I grabbed a 64GB card for my 32GB Surface RT.

1 person liked this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

You people just don't get it, do you? Whether they call this "Pro" or not is moot. It's still a computer toy, that you might just be able to do a sales presentation or something similar with when you're traveling. You still need desktops and a server in your office, and don't throw your laptop with the 750GB hard drive away just yet.

If you want to rip and store Blu-Ray files, then buy an NAS SATA RAID enclosure, and fill it with 4TB mechanical drives

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

My little Windows 8 Pro that I setup to test on a Desktop is just 10 Gigs on disk. (No Office, no Media Center.) If there were recovery partitions, and the OS, that still wouldn't add up to 45 Gigs. That's a pretty big chunk of storage taken away from the user.

I wonder what they're putting on there in all that space?!

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I wonder what they're putting on there in all that space?!

The restore partition, is going to eat as much space as the OS installation. Since this doesn't have an optical drive, maybe they image the OS and apps on the restore partition. I wouldn't be surprised if they have some SSD flash tasked as RAM extension. Although, that is just a wild guess.

Camikazi said:

I wonder what they're putting on there in all that space?!

Surface Pro comes with a restore partition and Office preinstalled.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

128GB is unformatted. That's 119GB formatted. Up to 20GB for the OS and bundles apps, makes 99GB. 10GB for recovery partition makes 89GB. Some rough figures, but there you go.

You could always delete the recovery partition and regain 10-15GB.

Surface Pro comes with a restore partition and Office preinstalled.

It doesn't come with office.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Is this all about the clown with the lawsuit? Does every company have to divulge the free space on their machines when they sell them, or just M$? Because that sure sounds like unfair bias, and anti competitive business practices if they don't.

You could always delete the recovery partition and regain 10-15GB.
Yeah, as long as you're able to image the recovery partition to a bootable USB you can. Otherwise that would be kind of stupid.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Yeah, should be able to do it. Even then, a fresh copy and a download of drivers should be do-able. Hopefully.

nismo91 said:

I think this is expected. but then you can always delete the recovery partition, turn off hibernation and pagefile (if it isnt off) since it uses SSD. when I upgraded my 64GB zenbook ux21 to Windows 8 for 15 bucks, I see no use in all the options mentioned above. the windows 8 iso is easily available from MS if you bought it, and burning it into usb drive just take few minutes.

for the premium price of Surface Pro, I think a 32GB microSD should come free.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

turn off hibernation and pagefile (if it isnt off) since it uses SSD.
Forgive me if I'm wrong but doesn't Windows 8 shutdown by design using Hibernation? It has been my understanding that improvements on this feature has been what gives Windows 8 its faster boot times. Can Hibernation be disabled in Windows 8?

Edit:

OK - I was wrong. :/

[link]

avoidz avoidz said:

It seems like a nice peripheral device. But it's just too damn expensive.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Edit:

OK - I was wrong. :/

[link]

Link doesn't work. But yeah, hibernation is enabled by default. Even when you disable it, it still uses hibernation to shut down, which can also be disabled.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

'Computer toy' being the operative word. How could anybody be stupid enough to pay so much just to do tasks like presentations when a similarly priced ultra book can do exactly the same thing with the same portability convenience of a tablet and far greater storage capacity. Go figure.

David Andrews David Andrews said:

I normally do a 'clean' barebones install of the OS on machines that I buy as it's often quicker than uninstalling excess junk. We've yet to see how much bloat there is on this new Surface Pro. I expect that a chunk of this is an Office Trial of the kind included with mainstream PCs and system restore partition - both mentioned above.

Enthusiasts and IT administrators can optimise that storage space for the target use. I'm quite confident that this machine won't be popular with the average user, anyway.

1 person liked this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Well um, are you sure I can't change your mind with some video?

Sorry about that, I just couldn't resist! My impulse control is poor, you all know that.......:oops:

In our next segment, we're bringing in a world renowned psychologist from Harvard to discuss, "ROFLMAO", and its impact on the educational development of the computer buying public....

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

^-- I haven't yet seen a classic Windows ad, for getting work done. It's all hipster douchebags getting drunk, taking photos and uploading to a non-existent facebook app.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

At that price I'd rather go with a nice laptop.

I would too ultimately, but the allure of having what is effectively an AIO (full) windows system with a decent digitizer is not something for me to scoff at, and most if not all convertible laptops are as expensive or more so. You can be sure I won't be a starting gate adopter however; there are too many unknowns for me at the moment.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Well um, are you sure I can't change your mind with some video?

Excellent I may yet take Microsoft's tablets seriously. I hope you don't work for Apple...

Gary Roberts Gary Roberts said:

All Tech reviewers claims of Surface Pro reduced storage is matter of making a mountain out of a mole hill:

Because Microsoft has a handy little tool on the surface that allows you to move the recovery partition to a usb drive. During the process it will prompt if you want to delete the partition and recover the space. Worked great and took about 10 minutes!

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Gary, I couldn't help notice your "Newcomer in Training" title. I just wanted to welcome you, and allow you to be privy on a little secret. That's exactly what online forums are for, "making mountains out of molehills".... So see, we're doing it right...!:p

Allow me to rework this a bit; "M$ is too trifling to ship the Surface with a stinking 10 dollar USB drive, with the recovery information already mounted". So, the proud new owner has to supply a thumb drive, and do it themselves. But it's not difficult, because M$ has condescended to supply the instructions".

In any event, the reason that this "molehill", became a "mountain" in the first place, is due to the fact that some putz is suing M$ because available space in these tablets doesn't match with the published capacity of the "drive".

And....here's the link to that debacle: [link]

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Have companies been sued before for not shipping 1TB drives, and not allowing the full use of RAm if you have an IGP? :S

Also, MS stopped handing out recovery media with Windows 7 OEM. Laptops/desktops purchased in a retail store require you to make your own recovery DVD. Yay, cost cutting..

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Gosh, Windows 7 you say? I had to burn my own recovery discs when I bought my eMachines T-5026 in 2005....!

(IDK or remember about your lawsuit questions. The most recent one was stuck in my mind).