Survey: Microsoft is now cooler than it was just a few years ago

By on February 22, 2013, 7:30 AM

Microsoft’s efforts to revamp their image appear to be paying dividends. A recent poll from Reuters / Ipsos shows that nearly half of all participants think Redmond is cooler now that it was just a couple of years ago. In fact, respondents said Microsoft was viewed as cooler than both Facebook and Twitter – two of the hottest social networks on the planet.

The company’s marketing campaign for their Surface tablets as well as continued success among gamers with the Xbox 360 and Kinect are just a few of the reasons why Microsoft is seemingly more hip than it once was.

A recent ad for Internet Explorer highlighting trends from the ‘90s no doubt helped Microsoft’s cause in the 18 to 29 age group. The video showcases a number of iconic games, toys and utilities of yesteryear before declaring that “You grew up. So did we.”

Specifically, 42 percent of adults in the aforementioned age range said Facebook is cooler than it once was while 47 percent said the same of Twitter. But even with Surface, Xbox and a retro commercial, Microsoft wasn’t able to touch the coolness factor of rivals Apple and Google.

Android scored the top honors as 70 percent of poll takers said the mobile phone operating system was cooler than it used to be. For Cupertino, 60 percent of those questioned said Apple’s coolness factor has increased over the past few years. Of course, not everyone would agree with that last statement – just ask Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak.

For sake of argument, let's say Microsoft is "cooler" than it was. The real question should be, Is Microsoft any better, have they improved their software and services and how do they compare with other options?

1 person liked this | 9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I think they have improved their software. I less feel like I need to wait for the service packs to fix the expected problems when I buy their products. And I feel that the security will be pretty solid as well. That said, I just don't feel like their new products speak to me as a consumer. I guess I'm not their target market, or I'm getting old. Probably both.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

You put it so succinctly.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Windows 7 came out in July 2009. So.. 5 years ago they were dealing with all the negative backlash of Vista. 7 is pretty solid and 8 works on phones, tablets, and computers. I can totally see how Microsoft is viewed as cooler now than 5 years ago.

If by "cooler" you mean "gayer", yes, I agree. Windows is becoming an Apple clone. And do we really need another Apple clone? I think not.

learninmypc learninmypc said:

I know it'll never happen, but I think MS should have MORE user input, not less.

Rippleman Rippleman said:

I view ideas as cool, not products or companies. That being said, some companies have more "cool" ideas then others.

Railman said:

It just goes to prove that folks have been taken in by those expensive ads which look impressive but tell you nothing about the product. As a daily user of MS programs I don't consider them cool. In fact I was talking to an engineer who has given up on W8 and gone back to W7.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

This is what I thought of Microsoft before Windows 8. They have lost this cool factor in my eyes.

Let me elaborate, I downloaded Visual Basic Express 2012. I noticed how ugly the frame was because it had been designed with the Windows 8 look. I un-installed Visual Basic Express 2012 and then downloaded Visual Basic Express 2010 which look great on my Windows 7 machine.

The article uses the terms "cool", "hot" and "hip" as synonims... this can't be right...