Google rumored to be working on a smartwatch, too

By on March 22, 2013, 8:30 AM

2013 could very well end up being the year of the smartwatch – or at the very least, the year that several big names started developing their wristwatch. Pebble’s smartwatch is already in the wild, Apple’s pending iWatch is one of the worst kept secrets in tech and Samsung recently announced their smartwatch has been in development for some time.

Reports are now circulating that Google is entering the race with a smartwatch of their own. According to a recent report from the Financial Times, Google is indeed working on a second wearable device – the first, of course, being Google Glass. The report says Google’s Android unit, not the experimental arm known as X Labs, is working on the device.

What’s more, the watch will be something completely different than what Samsung is working on. The search giant’s version is said to be an extension of Android onto the wrist – whatever that means. No other details were given so we are left to draw our own conclusions until further rumors surface or Google announces something publically.

With Google I/O just around the corner, we may very well hear something sooner rather than later. Of course, this isn’t the first we have heard on the subject as a patent for a smart watch including a flip up display was granted late last year but as you likely already know, the majority of patents are filed as precautionary measures and never see the light of day.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

Google is rumored to work on the world dominance. I won't be surprised to see Google logo on toilet paper too, in years to come.

Now that Android is doing it, I bet all the techspot crowd will be "oooohhhhh", "ahhhhhh", "wow"

Chazz said:

So let me get this straight. Not only does Apple create new markets but Apple's rumors creates new markets! (I know smart watches aren't new..but still this is funny.)

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Android= "oooohhhhh", "ahhhhhh", "wow"

iOS= "Garbage. What rubbish are they trying to foist upon us now?"

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

Google, you're better than this. C'mon, smart watches?

Arris Arris said:

Oooohhhhh, ahhhhhh, wow. Still not particularly interested in smart watches thanks.

2 people like this | davimous said:

Is a smart watch a hand held device while driving?

Sniped_Ash said:

I actually got excited about the iWatch rumors and I'm a pretty big Apple hater. A Google or Samsung smart watch that (probably) works better with my Galaxy Nexus than an iWatch would is even better.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Me either but maybe it'll take off. ATM I can't see what's so great about them. Maybe if/when they mature a bit...

1 person liked this | Matt12345170 Matt12345170 said:

I'll wait until they can project holograms and feed us grapes.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Battery life is gonna drag all of these devices down. Why can't a breakthrough in batteries be like the new space race?

1 person liked this | Arris Arris said:

I'll wait until they can project holograms and feed us grapes.

Even better, project holograms THAT feed us grapes!

DuhWookie DuhWookie said:

The whole world will change from Earth to name of Google.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

Google has become a "me too" company, championing imitation instead of innovation.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Yeah, pretty much: Search, email, online storage, etc. But they seem to do a lot of things better.