How often do you shutdown your computer?

By on April 27, 2003, 11:17 PM
A very interesting poll was posted by SharkFiNbowL from our forums, asking: how often do you shutdown your computer?

We will make this the topic to discuss for the rest of the weekend and until more news come up later on Monday (Half-Life 2, anyone?). I came to think about it and until a few months ago I used to turn off my PC regularly, that is, everyday. Ever since I got a cable connection and also started running the UD client I'm leaving my system on 24/7, what about you guys?

Elros said:
I've got a permenant ADSL connection (well as permenant as BT decides ;) ), and I use an ADSL router. I leave that on 24/7, but I still shut-down my computer every night. I run the UD client at work, but haven't actually thought about running it at home.I reckon that my machine wouldn't be stable enough anyway. I always find that re-booting windows regularly seems to help it anyway, since so few games these days are water-tight when it comes to memory management. (check out Unreal 2 for a prime example). Ah, if only linux was the platform of choice for games. ;)
---agissi--- said:
Whats a UD Client?
poertner_1274 said:
UD = United Devices.It is similar to SETI, but it's causes go to curing cancer instead of aliens.[URL=http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&thr
adid=2401]Check this thread for more info[/URL]
Spliffmeister said:
Seti doesn't cure aliens :p
Th3M1ghtyD8 said:
I hardly ever shutdown nowadays, I just hibernate my machine instead, and reboot it occassionally.
spun_1 said:
Yeah,Im with Elros,I leave my dsl modem and router on all the time but PC, no way.Another thing that has not been mentioned is,what about dust? I have to blow mine out at least every 4-6 months.I remember reading that the government did a test on the fastest demise of PCs in government offices was users who smoke around PCs.Weird.I also wonder what manufactures say about leaving PCs on 24/7.Was this tested or recommended.I know that like cd players and fans have estimated hours of useage.Like I said from my previous post was that I was afraid of fans going out since they seem to be taking the brunt of this type of practice.
DigitAlex said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Spliffmeister [/i][b]Seti doesn't cure aliens :p [/b][/quote] GREATTT :haha: LMAO :grinthumb btw, there is already another thread about shutting down or not, so its kinda weird having 2 threads going at the same time ... :rolleyes:
poertner_1274 said:
Good catch spliff, but you know what I meant!!!! :D
acidosmosis said:
Someone move this thread over to the other one please?
prashidi said:
I need to shutdown my computer cause it sounds like a jet. I cant sleep at night and have it on. :)