Battlefield 4 showcased in 17-minute gameplay trailer

By on March 27, 2013, 1:30 PM

Electronic Arts took the stage at the annual Game Developers Conference this week to showcase a live demo of Battlefield 4, the latest version in the popular first-person shooter franchise. Dice, the game’s publisher, said the title will arrive this fall on the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

In the event you weren’t on hand at GDC to see the live gaming action, fret not as EA released a 17-minute gameplay trailer that includes everything you’d expect from a Battlefield game. Realistic visuals and potty-mouth soldiers are shown engaging in combat shortly after the intro featuring Bonnie Tyler’s “Total Eclipse of the Heart” wraps up.

Dice said the video gives an exclusive look at the game’s vehicular combat, dynamic destructible environments and the chaos of all-out war. A blog post said the franchise has long been known for award-winning multiplayer but this time around, they are bringing elements from multiplayer into the single player campaign.

A post on the game’s website notes Battlefield 4 is a genre-defining action blockbuster created from moments that blur the line between game and glory.

The game isn’t expected to come to the Wii U but will likely show up on the PlayStation 4 later this year. Microsoft hasn’t announced the Xbox 720 yet but we would be shocked if Battlefield 4 isn't offered on Microsoft’s next generation system.

The title is available now for pre-order at $60 for the standard edition. A digital deluxe version is available for PC gamers for $70. Those who pre-order will receive a premium expansion pack free of charge, we’re told.

JC713 JC713 said:

I cant wait! I just hope I can get around to building a PC that can handle it over the summer.

Littleczr Littleczr said:

Why does it feel like it's going to be an expansion pack to BF3. I won't pre order this one until they I see some beta or the final product. I want to see some new features that take full advantage of the newest video cards.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Pretty incredible graphics and sound. They've come a LONG way since BF 1942:

JC713 JC713 said:

That isnt what necessarily is irking me, but instead how there are the same sound effects, same jeeps, and same reloading animations as in BF3. They better bring better guns and more vehicles in BF4, otherwise it will be a failure.

Littleczr Littleczr said:

Yeah, I take but the graphics and I definitely agree with you... What is going to happen with the maps from BF3, I wonder. There good maps, my wish is that they would add them to BF4 but I'm sure it isn't going to happen.

JC713 JC713 said:

I wont be surprised if Metro makes a return. But for a new engine, there should be new sounds and reloading animations. Hopefully that gets upgraded by the time the alpha comes. But notice in the trailer when they are in the window, and they are shooting down into the street, the scenery is a big upgrade from BF3. BF3 was just concrete buildings... the new scenery is actually legit glass and buildings.

Lionvibez said:

Don't look like much has changed from BF3.

And they better offer something like a seasons pass for the DLC like borderlands 2 does.

I bought the limited edition of BF3 for them just to release a premium version later which I did not pickup. I was not going to pay $120 total cost to play BF3 with all maps I'm sorry EA GTFO.

I've gotten use to non dedicated servers but they need to bring back voice chat in this version or it will be the first BF game I don't buy.

1 person liked this | IAMTHESTIG said:

The video looks good... although I'm a bit disappointed to still see the same old console-friendly automatic muzzle climb compensation after firing your weapon. I understand it for consoles, its hard to make small, accurate movements quickly. But on PC with a mouse, its easy. In real life your gun doesn't just automatically line right back up on target like it does in the game. You have to get back on target... it should be this way in a realism based military shooter in my opinion.

Anyway, I like some of the BF3 maps as well and would love to see them in BF4. Similar to how EA handled NFS Shift 2, it included all the same tracks that were in NFS Shift 1. Keep all the maps, keep all the guns, just add a ton more maps and guns. That way we can carry on playing BF3 in BF4 without having to have two games installed. Not to mention every new game feels a bit different, so switching back and forth between BF3 and BF4 may take some practice. Similar to those of us who still play BFBC2 and BF3. I like many of the maps in BC2 but they aren't in BF3 :-(

I will say though that the graphics and gameplay in this trailer look excellent... I'm looking forward to this. I enjoy single player and hope this campaign will be a lot longer than the BF3 one which was a bit short in my opinion.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Do you have an example of a PC shooter that does this? I've played most of them and can't think of any...

bielius bielius said:

I believe ArmA 2 does that, correct me if I'm wrong though

Waros Waros said:

EA announcement-

"AMD and EA DICE are proud partners in gaming, with a recent history

that includes the award-winning Battlefield 3 in 2011. That relationship

continues today with the world?s first public demonstration of

Battlefield 4, powered by the AMD Radeon? HD 7990?the world?s fastest

graphics card! Today?s unveiling not only demonstrates the commitment EA

DICE makes to state-of-the-art PC graphics, it stands as further proof

that the critically-acclaimed Graphics Core Next architecture in the AMD

Radeon? HD 7000 Series is the best choice for truly advanced PC games."

battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/preorder/

legitreviews.com/news/15327/

Fernando GC Fernando GC said:

They lost me at "EA presents:" ... nice trailer.

ikesmasher said:

The cool thing to me as at some points the graphical quality looks similar to that of a vray render.

IAMTHESTIG said:

Well that's kind of my point, just about all PC shooter games have this auto muzzle climb compensation after you stop firing. It is a "feature" that came from consoles, for the reason I mentioned originally. This "feature" isn't necessary when using a mouse, and is unrealistic. But who cares you may ask? Well probably not many, but those of us with military experience or those who have simply fired firearms before, know that your natural reaction to muzzle climb is to pull the firearm down to compensate (pulling the mouse down in the game as well). When you do this in the game of course and then stop firing, your crosshairs are then pointed way below the target. Just a thing you have to get used to, but incredibly annoying to those of us that care.

JC713 JC713 said:

I dont see how much they can really improve in the engine to call it a whole new version. I wanna see BF5 in DX12.

ikesmasher said:

JC7, its similiar to other cases that once you know your way around the engine you can use it much more efficiently and in ways you didnt know you could before.

JC713 JC713 said:

True, optimization is key. But I feel like it should have been named 2.5, they shouldnt have jumped to 3.

Emmc15 Emmc15 said:

Ok look at 10:5 to 10:17 when he is reloading the GL. 3 rounds go. 6 magically appear in the gun

Better graphics but still the same boring game. I need a game that challenges me

---agissi--- ---agissi---, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I just watched the bf1942 gameplay and it was the versitility between the tanks on bridges, jeeps on the beech, all that good stuff that made 1942 so much fun. The trailer looks to be of a different gameplay.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

*Waits for in-game VOIP announcement...*

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

Who cares what DICE calls it. It's amazing is what it is. What game looks better? Did you see that explosion... in-game? The foliage and mo-cap are top notch, and the iron sights next to a scope has never been done in a game. And to me it looks like the blue tint is gone. The only thing missing is in-game Voip.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Create one.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Oh no, but I thought EA made crappy games? Lol

I think the iron sight next to a scope was done in either MW3 or BF3. Don't remember what gun but I'm sure I saw it

JC713 JC713 said:

The hybrid sight isnt a new thing. I think it made its debut in COD MW3. The only other time I saw it was in MOH:W. I think Arma may have had it also

IAMTHESTIG said:

40mm grenades aren't that big. I think the animation is the soldier loading two at once. That's a big rotation of the cylinder after loading (two) rounds.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

"EA" & "games/gaming/gamer" don't belong in the same sentence.

bielius bielius said:

Iron sights next to a scope is in Arma 2, been there the whole time.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

Oh no, but I thought EA made crappy games? Lol

Touche. But definitely not BF3.

Maybe I should of said I've never seen it done in a game I've wanted to play before.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

Iron sights next to a scope is in Arma 2, been there the whole time.

^Read above.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

I was mighty impressed by the trailer, BUT I am not sure whether to call it BF4. It looked like a heavily modified BF3 with a lot more polish and post-processing FX, I loved the attention to details (splashes of water under feet, bullet sparks and explosions), however I am pretty sure all of this will greatly affect performance (64 man carnage).

Its up to DICE to get BF4 heavily optimized for PC and make sure it still is THE platform of choice.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

There is no problem with 64 players with BF3, so why would a game you don't think is worthy of the BF4 name, be any more demanding than that, and cause DICE trouble optimizing it? It seemed to run pretty frickin smooth in the demo.

They demo'd the game with an AMD 7990 (rumour?), so PC is still the focus. And if you look at the pre-order page at the bottom, the PC copy is in front of the Xbox version which is in front of the PS3 version.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I think he means that the graphics will affect performance, to be fair, I'm currently using an Nvidia GTX 285 and 64 player maps (with 64 players playing) so lower the framerate considerably in medium to high settings (DX10 obviously).

Just because the pre-orders are in that order doesn't mean they are exactly done by importance / sale numbers, I thought the PS3 version sold more than the Xbox version anyway :/ could be wrong though. Although I really do hope the concentrate on the PC version this time round, when BF3 came out the PC version had way to many bugs to the point I wasn't able to play it for longer than 30 minutes for the first 2 months, some bug which caused the whole screen to go black and never recover right in the middle of a game.

Anyway, the demo is going to be smooth, have you checked your framerates in the BF3 campaign? silky smooth as well even on relatively low end cards (650ti as an example) but the multiplayer does get hit hard performance wise on the same card.

IAMTHESTIG said:

I dont see why you guys want new sound and animations so bad? I understand new vehicles and weapons though. the animation and sounds are excellent in BF3. this is the first BF where all the reloading animations are accurate I think, or at least very close. The running and vaulting animations look pretty good as well. I dont see a need for new ones. And why new sounds? More sounds... sure, but no need to change existing ones for weapons. But new weapons and anything new should have new sounds and animations.

Sorry friend but that was in medal of honor warfighter

Waros Waros said:

Character modelling looks far better than bf3...bf3 characters and faces looks like 2d garbage

img204.imageshack.us/img204/5120/bf32011102519054327.jpg

All I want is BF1942 in these graphics! Make it happen EA and I will gladly buy the "Gold Megga Gamer Edition" or whatever the hell you decide to call it.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

I know what he meant, and that ancient GTX 285 of yours needs to be put down!

Considering the demo was done on a PC surely shows where DICE focus is still at. Sales do not concern me. DICE is simply catering to their longtime fans and show them that they still have the passion to make the game DICE wants to make, and not one that is just good enough for everyone. BFBC2 and BF3 surely showed that. I was lucky I guess and had no launch day gamebreaking bugs. Only the glitches annoyed me. ie: M26 Dart and the M16A3 dominance.

The demo they showed was smooth. I could find no fault with the framerate or textures.

I haven't directly compared BF3 SP and MP performance, but I do know my 7870 GHz Ed @ 1100/1300 can easily do Ultra with no AA @ 1080p in the MP portion of the game, though I did drop it down to Medium w/2xAA to help with input lag.

See you on the Battlefield!

JC713 JC713 said:

I will wait till the Alpha/Beta to see if I will preorder. I don't get what the Premium junk includes. I really wish they made BF4 a bit more different then BF3. Maybe like 80 players? I just hope they bring back maps with better graphics (already amazing).

Bannhammer said:

Anyone remember how ea said they didnt want dice to become a 'battlefield factory' lol, $60 dlc, another ea clone game.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

I remember how battle field 3 sold millions of copies. At least it's obvious work is being put into the game with the 3 years it's been in development. I used to think people actually had a point when they said CoD games was released every year, but I've noticed that in the Black Ops and modern watfare separate sub series, the games were actually produced every 2 years from each other. I've never really understood how there can't be obvious similarities to previous games when using the same base engines. If it's a huge success, odds are there's going to be a next one. Regardless of clones or not, it's obvious more people enjoy the game than those that don't.

JC713 JC713 said:

People thought BF3 would be Bad Company 3.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I know what he meant, and that ancient GTX 285 of yours needs to be put down!

I would normally agree but you'd be surprised just how many games it still can run at full with absolutely no problem, I'm currently going through the Mass Effect Series with no Problem, Borderlands series, Runs absolutely fine at full, Bioshock series again seem to run absolutely fine even with the graphics cranked right up.

But of course things like Battlefield (or pretty much any game using DX11) cannot be cranked up and usually are a little too much to be run at full, but hell on a graphics card that old I'm still severely impressed with how well its aged.

avoidz avoidz said:

The graphics look very nice. But is this just another corridor shooter?

JC713 JC713 said:

The graphics look very nice. But is this just another corridor shooter?

Basically lol.

@Burty, what frames are you getting? Also arent those all DX9 titles for the most part? Mass Effect 3 may be DX11. But that all aside, the GTX 285 only does DX 10 at most if I am not mistaken, so that basically allows for you to run at max settings.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Basically lol.

Exactly! Now in Battlefield 3 I can actually see the difference between using DX10 and DX11 modes, but pretty much all half decent games in the last 10 years have been DX9 or DX10, only very few games seem to actually use DX11 and all of those games have a DX10 mode which runs rather well on the GTX 285. I also really struggle to tell any difference.

In BF3 I have the settings on Auto which seems to set Texture Quality to High and everything else to medium, Anti-aliasing deferred to off, motion blur off and Ambient occlusion to SSAO, oh and Anisotropic filter to 4x

I also have v-sync on.

currently running on a Q6600 overclocked to 3.2Ghz, 6GB DDR2 Ram and a Western Digital Black 640GB drive.

I don't seem to drop below 28fps, and it only gets that low when on a big 64 player map and things have just turned hectic and buildings are falling down all over the place etc...

Pretty crap compared to what I did have, but I'm still mightily impressed with how well it copes with the latest and greatest

JC713 JC713 said:

DX 10 was a failure, barely any games adopted it.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

That's the same with DX11, its not really anyone's fault other than Console development and publishers/developers not willing to take the time/resources to add so much extra graphical muscle to the PC version of their games.

I was actually surprised to see the list of DX10 games released was just as large as DX11 titles:

[link]

[link]

DX10 also had some great titles, Original Crysis (which personally felt like the only decent game so far in the series) Company of Heroes was a massive hit, original Assassins Creed as well as Bioshock 1 and 2 also had DX10 support.

I wouldn't necessarily say DX10 was a "failure" more short lived

JC713 JC713 said:

Well, it isnt necessarily that they adopted DX 10, but more like they were forced to support it. For example, BF3, DX11 was the target but to keep the minimum specs down they added a DX10 mode for people with older hardware. But yeah, I agree with you in that it was short lived rather than a failure.