Samsung announces Series 9 Premium ultrabook for $1,400

By on April 12, 2013, 1:30 PM

Samsung has added a premium variant to its Series 9 ultrabook lineup that packs a full HD (1920 x 1080) matte display and Core i7 processor for $1,399. The 13.3-inch machine is viewed as a competitor to the MacBook Air, and at that price it does manage to outclass the Apple’s comparable 13-inch system in several areas -- including thickness and weight at 0.51-inches and 2.56 lb -- but falls short when it comes to storage.

The Series 9 Premium packs an Intel Core i7-3537U processor clocked at 2.0 GHz with integrated HD 4000 graphics, 4GB of memory, a 128GB SSD, 802.11n Wi-Fi, a 1.3-megapixel webcam, 1.3W stereo speakers, and a battery that’s good for 5.8-hours of run time according to MobileMark 2012. Samsung also touts boot times less than 10 seconds and the ability to resume from sleep "nearly instantly".

Perhaps with the exception of the display that’s mostly par for the course when it comes to high end ultrabooks, of course, but the Series 9 really shines when it comes to design and build quality with an aluminum “single shell body” that has been “sand-blasted” to fight fingerprints. Key components like its keyboard, battery, and fans have reportedly been customized as well to accommodate to the thin form factor.

On the software side the machine comes loaded with Windows 8, though Samsung isn’t fully taking advantage of the operating systems finger friendly interface since it doesn't have a touchscreen display.

The Series 9 Premium is available now from Samsung’s website and a variety of retail stores. With sales of personal computers dropping to the lowest levels in years, it will be interesting to see if customers value the higher resolution display and additional horsepower enough to pay for a $1,400 Windows 8 ultrabook.

Lurker101 said:

I suppose the big question for Samsungs new ultrabook is this; How quickly and easily could you install a larger SSD and Windows 7? If the answer is; Two minutes and fifteen minutes, respectively, then we could certainly have a winner here.

JC713 JC713 said:

If this was $999, then I would open up my wallet. At this price point, I would rather get a Mac.

Yes, hopefully it can be upgraded to Windows 7.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

I just got a Series 9 for $900 on the egg a few weeks ago. It's the same thickness, but instead of the 13" it has a 15" 1080p (non-touch) screen, the 128gb ssd, 4gb ram and an i5 instead of an i7. I have to say I was impressed at the build quality and thin-ness. The trackpad is hard to right-click with.. but other than that it's pretty amazing.

The bottom comes off easily to replace the msata drive. And Start8 installs quickly. The computer boots to desktop in about 5 seconds from power off.

It's getting old, these comments about "upgrading" to Windows 7 and such. Any power or enthusiast user who hasn't taken then 30 minutes to figure out how to be productive using Windows 8 needs to be demoted to technoob. Download the free Start Menu 8 and your experience will be exactly the same as Windows 7, plus you get all of the great enhancements that Windows 8 delivers.

Stop whining about change. You sound like a Republican.

captainawesome captainawesome said:

Guest above me - you rock!

Windows 8 is awesome. Pokki Start menu is also a really good, really polished piece of software. I would recommend it!

My 1 issue with this laptop is - 1400dorrar for something with 4GB of ram? u kidding me? my current 5 year old laptop has 4 gig of ram. Firefox or Chrome chows that in just a few tabs.

yRaz yRaz said:

Stop whining about change. You sound like a Republican.

absolute concentrated win

Stop whining about change. You sound like a Republican.

I wouldn't say its exactly the same. My experience with it was that newly installed programs would not create shortcuts in the start menu. Also what great enhancements? The start screen is a pos plain a simple.. tablet or not. Boot time faster? not really, once you get all your programs installed it's hardly any different.