Weekend Open Forum: Do you prefer single or multiplayer gaming?

By on May 10, 2013, 6:00 PM
online gaming, multiplayer gaming, single player games

The video game industry as a whole has evolved more than I could have ever imagined since I got started with the NES back in the mid 1980s. Back then the concept of multiplayer didn’t even exist. If you wanted to play a game with a friend, they’d be sitting beside you with a controller in their hand or you’d simply take turns playing a single-player game. That’s it.

Thanks largely in part to social networks like Facebook, gaming has evolved into a social experience. It’s no longer desirable to play a game by yourself. Instead, we are force-fed the idea of sharing and competing with friends for the high score or playing against total strangers over the Internet. There’s nothing wrong with that of course, but to each their own.

With this week’s open forum, we want to hear your take on the topic. Do you prefer the solitude and escape that a quality single-player game offers or do you prefer to hop online and compete against others?

2 people like this | H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Multiplayer without a doubt, single player gets done and dusted once completed (unless few certain games).

5 people like this | TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Single. Although it's fun to play along with others at times, trying to get a good group together and find the right times to play can be a royal pain. And don't even get me started on what a nightmare MMORPG's can be with cheaters and grief players. I just want to click the game icon and go at my own pace.

If it aint got multiplayer or co op.. I don't buy it ...

AI is bawls..

1 person liked this | ETF Soldier ETF Soldier said:

Single Player hands down. Multiplayer is boring, monotonous and never ending. Although some people like it for the infinite amount of play time. The thing is, games are remembered for how great the storylines are, Half Life for example, whereas games like CoD and Battlefield's reputations are only going down the drain.

But like always, there are exceptions to this rule - AI algorithms can never live up to the creativity and unpredictability of a human player. Games like Little Big Planet, League of Legends, and RTS/RTT, where there is a distinctive way in which an AI will move, and a human will move.

Multiplayer shooters are boring and monotonous and completely lost innovation.

1 person liked this | Alpha Gamer Alpha Gamer said:

Single player, any day of the week. Unless it's a game in which single and multiplayer can blend seamlessly, like the one designed for Dark Souls.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I prefer single but over the last few years I have been introduced to multi-player games and slowly getting used to them as well. Even with the multi-player games, I tend to stick to myself though.

1 person liked this | pmkrefeld said:

I think this a really unappropriate question, on the same level with ati vs nvidia, bf vs cod, porsche vs ferrari and so on......

2 people like this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It's not inappropriate to ask people which one they prefer. It's not as if the question was which one is best.

1 person liked this | Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

I find as I've gotten older I've found I enjoy co-op more than single player.

1 person liked this | NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

All the multiplayer games out there, it's hard to not like those as that's been the main selling point for nearly all of them the past few years. I do get mad when I come across a very good racing game that's single player -_- (nfs hot pursuit(2010).

"Multiplayer shooters are boring and monotonous and completely lost innovation."

Don't be jelly because you do so poorly :P

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

Online Multiplayer and Co-op Multiplayer.

I prefer online MP because you are against actual people and not AI. And for the stats and rankings.

1 person liked this | pieceofSchmitt pieceofSchmitt said:

What happened to weekend game deals?

1 person liked this | psycros psycros said:

Single player 75% of the time, co-op the rest (that includes MMOs). I don't even comprehend the PvP mindset.

1 person liked this | Cycloid Torus Cycloid Torus said:

Single player, turn based or pause, cheats, etc...too hard for the slow synapses otherwise.

Blkfx1 Blkfx1 said:

I play MMO's the majority of time. So, I guess both? Seeing as I usually play by myself aside from endgame content.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Single-Player and MMO PvE.

I enjoy the story telling side of gaming. How it's like controlling a movie.

Staff
Steve Steve said:

Multiplayer for sure. For some reason I feel like I am wasting time when I try and play a single player game. Maybe its because I enjoy multiplayer games with friends so it incorporates game play with socializing

2 people like this | yRaz yRaz said:

I like multiplayer because it doesn't seem as strange when I start yelling profanity.

mailpup mailpup said:

I prefer single player. It doesn't mean I won't ever play multiplayer. It only means I prefer single.

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

What happened to weekend game deals?

The writer has been under the weather an not been able to write and post them. They will come back when he is feeling better.

Secondly I prefer single player but dabble in a couple MMOs.

veLa veLa said:

Both. It's important for a game to have both singleplayer and online play to attract me fully, unless it's CS of course.

MrAnderson said:

I prefer single layer or coop play. It would be magic if more developers created coop campaigns that rivaled some of the best single player. An experience that dynamically could handle multiple characters. Left 4 Dead moves into that direction. It would be great to have a fantasy game of the same ilk.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

Prefer singleplayer, but love multiplayer when playing with friends. Don't mind multiplayer otherwise...

TechGamer TechGamer said:

Singleplayer is fun but multiplayer takes the experience to a far better one as u can play and interact with friends in battles and have fun together instead of sometimes ending grinding for hours alone u actually will have someone to talk with and chat

Staff
Ivan Franco Ivan Franco said:

Nothing better than a great game with friends, without a doubt!

Olo1602 said:

I like playing singleplayer games recently. It is peacefull way of enterntaiment.

Single play or no play. It is that simple.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

Multiplayer. It's fun to play with other players.

FLWrd said:

Multi/coop. Single-player gets stale. I remember playing Bungie's Marathon (quite some time ago) and it was fantastic. There were regular updates, people built custom maps, etc., and occasionally the game really surprised. But then the graphics started to get better, while the "AI" (as everyone calls it) didn't. The last single player campaign I've played was COD Black-Ops, and it was just tedious. They're trying to turn it into a movie, but unfortunately the script never changes. OTOH Black-Ops' multi-player experience is also quite bad (on a mac). Still, MP it is, for me.

R6exR6 R6exR6 said:

Single.

I just want to have some fun. Multiplayer is too competitive and has no story.

1 person liked this | highlander84 said:

Multiplier is indeed more fun...However...its sometimes hard to get past the ***** window lickers messing my games up because their stupidity.... I did play World of Tanks every day...but now its like once a week because I get so annoyed with the ****** on my team being...well ******....

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Single player without a doubt. If it's a multiplayer game, I take no further interest.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It's not the in-experienced that ruin a multi-player game, it's the ones that get annoyed. This is the main reason, I prefer single-player games.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Just to add, one issue with multiplayer.

#crazylocos that can't control them self and act like adults *cough* (I was one of them once upon a time, only in certain situations though).

trgz said:

SP 73%, Co-op (2-4player against AI) 25%, MP 2%.

I'd happily replay a good SP, given the time and if it had a bit of diversity in it's story threads (ie Dishonoured); I have great fun with the LAN type co-op modes in R6Vegas, Far Cry3, Bulletstorm, HL2/Singularity; and would play more MP if it weren't for the 'high **** quotient' that permeates many accessible games (and the fact that I'm not that good), or the vast amount of time to get into the likes of Eve given that I have a life already, though I am interested in the standalone version of DayZ.

Dawn1113 said:

While I do enjoy playing multiplayer with my friends from time to time, I always buy games hoping that I get a truly good singleplayer campaign. For me, the singleplayer mode makes or breaks a game.

BlueDrake said:

Depends how you really define "multiplayer" I'm going to say, because co-op based things are always fun usually. I tend to play solely alone because really, my PC isn't all that great at handling newer games. Even with some of the older MMOs and such, I find it all just the same drab repeated nonsense.

Online shooters are just meh, with the constant plague of hackers and more. It's why really I stick to solo experiences, or with friends only to avoid conflicts of interest. Since all you get are more headaches then you want, because all I've experienced is trouble.

ETF Soldier ETF Soldier said:

What happened to weekend game deals?

The guy who writes them (Matthew) is ill at the moment, but they should be back soon.

mrtraver said:

I'm glad I am not the only one who prefers single player. I've had fun with some online shooters in the Battlefield series, but generally I just prefer single player, at my own pace, without getting slaughtered by people much more experienced than me. Also, with kids in the house, I tend to get interrupted a lot, and there is no pause key in MP.

I do 1 play though of single player, then move over to multiplayer where I can get owned real good. LOL I just dont have time to get good enough at most online games. But I do make for good target practice.

1 person liked this | dotVezz said:

It depends a lot on the genre that I'm playing. I really enjoy MOBA games, but I have a (huge) thing for JRPG's and similar single-player, character-driven stories that unfold as I play. Some MMO's have also provided a surprisingly satisfying amount of character-driven plot development, like GW2 -- especially with Seiran and Logan.

I'm on the fence, but leaning toward single player. Playing with strangers doesn't interest me, but playing with friends can make MMO's and other online games worth playing.

1 person liked this | dotVezz said:

This is so true. When I play MOBAs, and there's an inexperienced or unskilled player on my team, I cringe when other teammates get negative and blame him for every bad move. It's not the unskilled at playing who make Multiplayer a detrimental experience (sometimes), it's the unskilled at communicating who do this.

danhodge danhodge said:

Depends on the genre. In shooters, the single player is pointless to most people. Its all about multi player/coop games.

However, with games like RPG's, I much prefer single player. Until an MMO with combat that rivals that of any single player RPG comes around, I will stay away from them.

So, basically, until ESO is released

LukeDJ LukeDJ said:

A bit of both. Multiplayer games are much more fun than single player when you've got a good group of mates to mess about with. Unfortunately, it can be rather difficult to get a group of friends to all play at the same time, which is when single player games shine.

If I had to pick one, I'd probably go single player.

BlueDrake said:

Quite true. People are so negative, if they have someone unskilled. They wonder why people have a serious burnout, and many other problems that come after. The negativity in multiplayer games really is hurting, where new players don't join in as long.

If you can actually properly communicate with them, and at least help them out then it might not be so bad. Someone might be just experienced at other things, but still new and rough around the edges at that game / genre of games. Also able to build up a trust over time, as they get more experienced. So you have other new friends to play with, and able to share your knowledge with someone else.

cmbjive said:

Singleplayer. I'll play multiplayer for a little bit, but to me it gets boring.

Demigod001 said:

Single player.

I do play mmo's and the odd me3 and unrealT / quake3 match but other than that the macho twelve year olds put me off.

vladiiancu vladiiancu said:

I would say single player most of the times, but some weekends I prefer multiplayer of course.