Jolla unveils first Sailfish OS smartphone, set to ship this year

By on May 20, 2013, 5:30 PM
nokia, meego, smartphone, sailfish, jolla, sailfish os

Jolla on Monday unveiled the first smartphone designed to run a Meego-inspired operating system called Sailfish. The Finnish mobile handset company, comprised of ex-Nokia employees, believes the self-titled mobile device will be a strong candidate in the mid- to high-end smartphone market.

The handset, which features no buttons on the front panel, will ship with a 4.5-inch Estrada display, a dual-core processor of unknown origin or clock speed, 16GB of internal flash storage, a microSD card slot and an 8-megapixel rear shooter. There’s also a front-facing camera and 4G LTE support in regions where the technology is available.

The phone features a two-tone removable back shell that Jolla calls The Other Half. Interestingly enough, the color scheme of the operating system changes when different colored backplates are installed. The panels will initially be available in teal, red and light green.

The Jolla is available for pre-order as of writing if you are the adventurous type and want to get your name on the list early. Those that pre-order will receive a voucher worth 100 euros that will be deducted from the price of the phone when it ships.

The Jolla smartphone is expected to go on sale in the fourth quarter for 399 euros ($513). It’ll ship in Europe first before expanding to other countries, we’re told.

The company is expected to release more information about the handset at a press event later today. We’ll update this post with more information as it becomes available.

JC713 JC713 said:

$513? No thanks. I was impressed at first, but then the new OS, thick design, and price threw me off.

Waiting to see more info. I will probably pre order if for no reason to show Nokia's board how wrong they were to allow Elop to sell their companies future down the drain to MicroSoft.

highlander84 said:

I like to see more companies trying to break into the market. Sadly unless they have an amazing device they will remain small..if they remain at all.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I wouldn't judge it just yet. Maybe they're onto something here.

havok585 havok585 said:

Oh really? Like the first iphone was really cheap and look how that turned out. We're talking abouy ex-nokia employees here, so there are high hopes for this one.

coolazeem said:

What exactly is an Estrada display? o_O

I think it looks beautiful !!!

JC713 JC713 said:

That was what I was impressed at.

TekGun TekGun said:

Looks really nice, apparently you can side load android apps.