Sony releases PS4 teaser video on eve of Xbox 720 reveal

By on May 20, 2013, 2:30 PM

Sony has released a teaser video for the upcoming PlayStation 4 on the eve of Microsoft’s reveal for the next generation Xbox. The clip, less than a minute in length, opens with an out-of-focus shot of what we presume is the actual PS4 console before showing a series of close-up in-focus shots in rapid succession.

Unfortunately the close-up images don’t really give us a good idea of exactly what the system will look like. The fact that Sony didn’t actually show what the PS4 will look like during the unveiling was a common complaint among gamers and critics. Microsoft’s Major Nelson took to Twitter to publically blast Sony, saying that announcing a console without actually showing a console was “one approach.”

About all we could gather as fact from the video is that the PS4 will be black and feature numerous sharp lines. The color scheme isn’t exactly a surprise as the controller shown during Sony’s media event was also black. What’s more, that’s the same color scheme that Sony has used since the PlayStation 2 launched more than 13 years ago.

Sony promises that we will learn more about the console at a media event on June 10 on the eve of the E3 gaming expo in Los Angeles. That’s conveniently the same day that Microsoft is planning to “continue the conversation” about the new Xbox as well as reveal their full lineup of games.

Until then, however, we will keep a close eye on tomorrow’s event to see what Microsoft has in store for their next generation console.

1 person liked this | davislane1 davislane1 said:

"The fact that Sony didn?t actually show what the PS4 will look like during the unveiling was a common complaint among gamers and critics."

Can somebody explain to me how this is relevant to gaming?

1 person liked this | Littleczr Littleczr said:

I approve this message because it means, games that take advantage of my cards for PC.

ETF Soldier ETF Soldier said:

Well played Sony, well played.

Now I have a clear image of how the ps4 looks........

3 people like this | RH00D RH00D said:

Can somebody explain to me how this is relevant to gaming?

It is used to play games.

JC713 JC713 said:

I wonder if they are going to show off another remote on June 10.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

That was sort of lame ...

1 person liked this | Fbarnett Fbarnett said:

I like how everything Is a secret. How about if we make it secret if we will buy it or not. These companies are getting stupid. All they do is build up hype and then fail to live up to what they try to accomplish

davislane1 davislane1 said:

It is used to play games.

The hardware is used to play games. Criticism from "gamers and critics" that Sony didn't reveal the aesthetics of the system seems to me to miss the point of the event and make noise about an utterly trivial point. I don't recall anyone ever making a buy decision based on how a console would fit into their home decore.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

The year is 2013. Large flat-screen TV's with blueray players and home theatre systems abound. Why do you think the white xbox 360 was retired?

It has little to do with how it really looks. Gamers want to see the console to know it is done. Since we didn't see the console we can just assume that the videos shown where from a dev pc.

pmkrefeld said:

"Can somebody explain to me how this is relevant to gaming?

For gaming it isnt, but I for instance am waiting years for a console (or some version of it) which is an plain old brick so I can put it on my hifi-rack along other stuff. My fat PS3 destroyed the housing of my satellite receiver because of its damn ugly form and uneven weight distribution. I am seriously tired of some stupid designs with 10yr old kids in mind.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I am seriously tired of some stupid designs with 10yr old kids in mind.
So your anger really has nothing to do with the gaming system design. One thing I have learned in life, kids are just as capable of learning as adults (possibly even more so). You could probably guess where my next sentence would have gone.

1 person liked this | Puiu Puiu said:

Song name anyone?

cmbjive said:

The PS4 is going to be black, definitely, definitely black.

I hope in this thread there's no one stupid enough give stupid comment comparing PS4 or xbox 720 with high-end gaming rig..

pmkrefeld said:

Kids surely can learn stuff but their reasoning is on par with of that an piece of bread (we all were at this point) and the marketing department at "SomeBigCompany & Co." is making sure their new product is "so much cooler" than that of the competition... and thats what we (or at least I myself) do not need.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

So it's going to be a square black box, did not anticipate that.

HiDDeNMisT HiDDeNMisT said:

So its going to be black and its going to have fans on it woot