'Halo: Spartan Assault' heading to all Windows 8 devices next month

By on June 4, 2013, 3:30 PM

Microsoft on Tuesday announced plans to bring the Halo franchise to all Windows 8 devices next month. The new game is called Halo: Spartan Assault and is said to take place between Halo 3 and Halo 4 with top-down style gameplay akin to games like Asteroids.

Spartan Assault is a single-player game that includes 25 all-new missions. Despite the single-player model, gamers are invited to compete against friends using the leader board and participate in weekly challenges. We are told that there are more than 40 in-game achievements to be had and gamers can even earn experience points, emblems and new achievements for Halo 4.

The title will be available for desktop / notebook systems running Windows 8 as well as Windows Phone 8 handsets. Naturally, the game will support touchscreen and keyboard / mouse controls. What’s more, Microsoft said they plan to add support for wired versions of the Xbox 360 controller for PCs and tablets shortly after launch via a software update.

As one might expect from a top-down mobile-supported title, the game looks to have a heavy arcade feel to it. That’s not necessarily a bad thing – just more of an observation really. What remains to be seen, however, is whether or not the game will be solid enough to keep the franchise moving forward or if it’s simply being pushed out to keep the Halo faithful happy until the next major release.

The game will debut in July for an estimated retail price of $6.99, Microsoft said.

wastedkill said:

Halo will be looking at a record breaking 1000-2000 sales due to it being on ONLY windows 8 and phone 8 as a gamer will never go for windows 8 for gaming its well known and logical so good going guys good way to cripple your games reach always thinking about your customers just like microsoft well done well done indeed!

1 person liked this | treeski treeski said:

This is a laughable comment. Microsoft needs to create exclusive content as ADDED incentive for customers to consider their products.

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Glad I got a surface pro, plus remember the windows 8 App Store is on windows desktops, so hopefully it will be there.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

This is a laughable comment.

So true, I find the whole concept of Microsoft needing extra incentive laughable. Yeah I know thats not what you meant, what you meant I found laughable.

Anything worth having wouldn't need extra incentive to make a sell. I wouldn't have Windows 8, if they offered the entire Steam library as incentive. And from what I can tell, the reasons why I'm reluctant are not changing in 8.1 either

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

They could release Halo Wars for the pc while they are at it.

2 people like this | treeski treeski said:

It's your choice to buy Windows 8 or not, I couldn't care less. But, "Anything worth having wouldn't need extra incentive to make a sell" makes no sense. Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 obviously have some worth to many people, and adding exclusive content is an attempt to increase that worth.

1 person liked this | JC713 JC713 said:

Actually, the largest adopters of Windows 8, and any other new Windows OS are the enthusiasts. Some like it, some dont. This is quite an ignorant comment.

RH00D RH00D said:

It's always funny when (insert current Windows release) haters come out acting as if they speak for all Windows users.

I bought Windows 8 for desktop and am overall satisfied with it and look forward to this game as it may also be a sign that Microsoft could finally start bringing the triple-A Halo releases back to Windows, although that may be a bit optimistic.

Also, companies use exclusive content all the time for incentive to buy something, even in other industries.

Examples: On PC, Valve's games are exclusive to Steam. A lot of EA games are now exclusive to Origin. Halo has become exclusive to Xbox... Gran Turismo and Metal Gear Solid have been exclusive to Playstation. Up until recently BBM was exclusive to Blackberry phones, etc, etc.

2 people like this | GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

I like windows 8... I bought windows 8 pro and installed it on my desktop and its been fine. A little annoying to learn the new shortcuts and far cry 3 was being stupid on it. It's been fast an efficient as far as I could see. I've spent time messing and playing with it a lot. I personally like it but it does have room for improvement.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

And so, the slow and probably painful death of the Halo franchise is apon thee, it was a good run, but now it's time for Microsoft to run it into the ground. I wonder if they'll kill it quicker than Activision is with CoD.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The idea of an OS itself being worth more, if it comes with a game is absurd. I don't know about you but a game will never sway my desire to purchase an OS or Phone. I really wouldn't understand anyone making the statement "Halo for free! Damn I need a new Phone.".

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

"What?s more, Microsoft said they plan to add support for wired versions of the Xbox 360 controller for PCs and tablets shortly after launch via a software update."

Using wireless controllers is an option too, with a USB wireless dongle for PC.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm beginning to suspect that Microsoft has some kind of physical block from letting them learn from past missteps. Otherwise, they would remember when Vista launched to a lackluster (or downright negative) reception, and they pushed out their "DX10 exclusive" titles under the "Games for Windows" blanket. Then seemed baffled as to why there wasn't a big upswing in Vista sales as gamers ran out to immediately upgrade their OS just to play them, and the sales of those exclusive titles suffered early on. The parallels are a bit uncanny.

Mikymjr Mikymjr said:

One would think that they would at least try and get halo3 and onwards, to work on windows8. Probably not -_-(fail)

theBest11778 theBest11778 said:

The good news is with the Xbox One being x86/x64, when they release the Anniversary, or HD, upgraded versions of Halo 3 on up, so people with Xbox One can actually play them, it would make no sense NOT to bring them to PC.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

Enthusiasts? Since when?

1 person liked this | hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

I still hate Microsoft for not releasing all the Halo games on the PC.

treetops treetops said:

Its funny most smart phone have more powerful cpus then a xbox 360, def have more ram, idk about video card

gamoniac said:

For $6.99, Halo fans will jump on it. Non-halo fans will pass. It will provided W8 with exclusivity, no surprise there. So, what is the big fuzz with all the critics? Not a wrong move, just an expected one, IMO.

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

They could release Halo Wars for the pc while they are at it.

Halo Wars is the equivalent to the Star Wars Christmas Special: the producers wish they could take every copy of it and set them on fire.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Windows 8 only? Wow. So they should sell about 50 copies of the game. Awesome.

treeski treeski said:

Every extra feature and every extra app add worth. It's not that someone will choose Windows strictly because of Halo, it's that someone will choose Windows because of Halo + everything else it offers. A LOT of people love the Xbox Live gaming network, and I guarantee that many people are excited about being able to play Xbox Live games on their PCs... but of course MS needs a solid range of games to offer.

Oh, and what's the biggest strength iOS has? Number of apps and availability of apps prior to other OSes.

2 people like this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Windows 8 only? Wow. So they should sell about 50 copies of the game. Awesome.
Don't underestimate Windows 8 users, I'd say at least 51.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Amen to that.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I don't know if its an American thing but here in the UK, Every single person I know who has an xbox and a PC (just over 20 people) and I have asked them about Windows 8 (I let them try it out when it was in Beta) and explained the Xbox integration and all of them weeped at the thought, having Xbox Live on just the Xbox seems to be just about enough, none of them, not a single one wants that integration, the best response I had was:

"if I fancy being sworn at by little kids, I'll go on my Xbox, fancy a proper game with adults over team speak, I'll go on my PC, stick that sh*t on my PC and I'm not going to be very happy..."

His face was also priceless xD

Halo has and never will be released on any platform that Microsoft doesn't own, so releasing this for windows devices is not really a surprise and is a logical decision. It's about time windows phones started to make use of its integration with Xbox live.

JC713 JC713 said:

Enthusiasts? Since when?

What I mean by enthusiasts, is people who keep up with new OS releases and want to try the new OS.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I consider those soldiers to be guinea pigs.

JC713 JC713 said:

I consider those soldiers to be guinea pigs.

But I am saying that some like it, some dont.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

But I am saying that some like it, some dont.

Sometimes I feel like a guinea pig and sometimes I don't! LOL

I'm waiting to see how Windows develops before I decide to be an enthusiasts (aka: guinea pig) again.

JC713 JC713 said:

Sometimes I feel like a guinea pig and sometimes I don't! LOL

lol. Yup.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

*sigh*

I know what an enthusiast is... but that is not what you said in the comment I replied to - at all. I put the ? mark after enthusiasts as a polite way of calling BS on your statement.

"Actually, the LARGEST ADOPTERS of Windows 8, and any other new Windows OS are the ENTHUSIASTS."

You said, largest (amount of) adopters, not first adopters.

JC713 JC713 said:

*sigh*

You said, largest (amount of) adopters, not first adopters.

Fine, I meant first adopters, you could of flat out said that Mr. Smartass. I dont want to sound like a mean guy, but seriously, you could have just said that in the beginning.

RubinOnRye RubinOnRye said:

Your funny!! Windows 8 has a performance jump compared to Windows 7, especially if your using a SSD. If you want to be ignorant because you have never used Windows 8 or you want to be a sheep and only believe in what you hear rather then giving it a real shot and try using Win 8, then I feel bad for you. Been using Win 8 on my gaming PC now since day 1 and love it. Interface isn't all that bad as much as people think it is. Keyword in that sentence, THINK. Most are to scared to give it an honest shot. People were scared of Windows 7 when it launched to so I really am not surprised.

RubinOnRye RubinOnRye said:

Disagree, Remember Zelda Ocarina of Time. When that came out, more N64 were sold because of that one game. Nintendo handhelds because of Pokemon. Wait there is a pattern here.... hmmmm.....

wastedkill said:

Oh ye because 0.5-1FPS increase will make the massive difference, if you want to be ignorant because your a microsoft fanboy then go ahead but I HAVE tried windows 8 and so have a lot of others its terrible its NOT a desktop/pc OS its a tablet/phone OS its a pain microsoft are stupid they blame PC makers for there OS not selling more than vista I have heard well over 200+ of complains about windows 8 from people I know.

Windows 8 is made in the form of windows vista but as time shows windows 9 will fix all this hopefully...

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

And now people are buying Windows 8 devices because of specific software that could function on devices already in our possession. We are not talking about a game console, where its only purpose is to play game titles such as the promotional items that are bundled. Wait a minute! Now that I think about it, that is exactly what Microsoft is selling us. They are selling devices to function as game consoles, without regard for other functions. Thanks for the correction, without your comment it never would have occurred to me.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Who can pull the windows adoption stats for Windows 7, before it was officially released? I believe the adoption rate for the Release Candidate was extremely enthusiastic. What I'm saying is, people were adopting Win7 in leaps and bounds and in beta form.