Supply chain ready to build iWatch, awaiting go-ahead from Apple

By on June 7, 2013, 5:30 PM
apple, supply chain, iwatch, wristwatch, connected device

Apple’s rumored wristwatch could arrive as early as the second half of this year if everything goes as planned. Parts suppliers are allegedly standing by, waiting to get the go-ahead from Apple to start production according to Citi’s Glen Yeung.

The analyst believes the go / no-go decision will be made in June and he is leaning towards the former outcome at this time. All of this comes as a result of multiple rumors that indicate such a watch is indeed in development and perhaps closer to production than most thought.

Here’s what we’ve heard thus far. Just a few days ago, Apple reportedly filed for a trademark for "iWatch” in Russia according to a local newspaper. That’s not really super solid evidence as companies have been known to register for a trademark years before a product ever launches and sometimes, it’s done simply to protect others from using a particular name in the future.

To that end, the Economic Times claimed last month that Apple has been looking into a number of 1.5-inch OLED displays built by a Taiwan-based manufacturer named RiTdisplay. As the story goes, Apple was initially looking at a 1.8-inch display but ultimately felt it was too large and switched to a smaller panel.

Finally, a recent report from Bloomberg pegged the iWatch with the same 2013 release date that Yeung believes we could see. Given the success of mobile apps and their commonplace, now may be the perfect time to jump head-first into an industry that’s just starting to show potential.

I can't think of a more useless endeavor. First, release a product that replaces another, then develop the product that you replaced! It's a little bit like releasing the car which replaces the bicycle, and then developing a bicycle!

Watch sales declined as cell phones reached saturation, as most people realized they don't need two devices to tell the time.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Can anyone say iWatch controller for Google Glass?

I wonder if the combo would ever be engineered to work together and sold for under $300?

It sure is nice to dream. Deep down I think we all know. Google and Apple would never work together or sell $50 worth of parts for anything less than $600.

Point of a watch is it is hand free instead of having to grab your phone out of your pocket and look also saves a second to look at your wrist. I think this is a good idea if implemented correctly.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Watches are good, I have one myself. But an iWatch seems like temptation for muggings. I already have second thoughts using my iPhone 5 in public in some locations. That watch will be very stealable.

Nobina Nobina said:

I find classic circular watches much more appealing than this. It looks bulky, and if you use it to look at the time, than those other options like lockscreen, weather and bluetooth are useless.

Khanonate said:

I don't think so. Time to dump Apple stocks.....

Looks about the size of watch "**** Tracy" :) used for crime fighting back in the day..Wonder if it will have a built in mic for video calls from phone..Good Idea if done right..(y)

bexwhitt said:

I haven't worn a watch for 25 years and won't start wearing one again however good the gadget is.

Assuming it would be worth stealing...

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Assuming it would be worth stealing...

LOL

Surely you know all iProducts are worth stealing, I hear they hold nearly twice the value of comparable merchandise.

"In the early 1900s, the wristwatch, originally called a Wristlet, was reserved for women and considered more of a passing fad than a serious timepiece. Men, who carried pocket watches, were quoted as saying they would "sooner wear a skirt as wear a wristwatch".

Give me two, please !!!!

Instead of a single screen on a (rubber) band, make them, oh, please, as many as five to seven (men-women) screens depending on wrist size: one (better two) being the touch-screens themselves, the others working as solar (light) chargers (printing them is already available, I've recently been told).

One screen could show permanently some kind of personal data as requested by the user (time, weather, DOW index, $/€, pressure...whatever), the other screen would remain free for dialing, texting and the likes...

Give me four, please !!!!

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Give me four, please !!!!
Would that be one for each personality? :P

richalone442 said:

I just can't see wearing a wrist watch again.

MilwaukeeMike said:

I don't know why Apple rubs me the wrong way, but why is the city shown 'Rome'? (If they were actually in Rome, they'd spell it Roma.) Because that's a cool, slightly exotic or romantic city? Just once I'd like to see something realistic like Omaha. How about Miami or Dallas?

Oh, I know... they can only fit 4 letters.