Konami's classic NES platform shooter Contra now available on iOS

By on June 26, 2013, 11:00 AM

Contra is making a return after a successful run more than 25 years ago in arcades and on the Nintendo Entertainment System. Contra: Evolution is the first official mobile version of the platform shooter that also spawned the now infamous Konami code.

Konami worked with publisher CocoaChina/Chukong to make the game, which was originally launched in China earlier this year and briefly appeared in the US App Store before being pulled. The premature launch was available for roughly 36 hours before the error was realized and it was removed. Today’s launch is said to be an improved and optimized version of what showed up back in late May and early June.

The publisher’s US-based general manager Lei Zhang pointed out that Contra is an iconic title in China. Kids grew up playing the game and it’s synonymous with video games in the country. As such, it was downloaded millions of times before today’s international launch.

The game uses a floating joystick for default controls but if that simply won’t cut it for you, it’s slated to receive native game controller support when iOS 7 launches later this year. Also, if you’re concerned about the game being as difficult as the original, fear not as the mobile version supports multiple difficulty settings.

Contra: Evolutions is available as of writing in Apple’s App Store for $0.99 for the iPhone and $2.99 for the iPad. We’re told that a version for Android will be available via Google Play within the next couple of months before being released on the Amazon Appstore for Android.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

"as difficult as the original"

Wait, it was difficult? I could beat it without using a single continue, and "no" I didn't use the Konami code. I loved that game so much for my NES. Although, the purist in me notes that they've added a second power-up box above the enemy in the screenshot.

I hope they port this to Windows Phone.

1 person liked this | MilwaukeeMike said:

Well... I'd never thought I'd say this, but I'm officially jealous of iPhone users. For the next month or two anyways.

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

"as difficult as the original"

I hope they port this to Windows Phone.

What in the hell are you smoking? That game was insanely difficult. I only ever beat it once without continues. I usually don't make it past the forth level without a continue.

Good times though. I may buy this.

Android version? Why ignore over 75% of the mobile phone market?

cmbjive said:

I could only beat the game with the Konami code, but it was one sitting.

And an Android version will be coming. It seems that Android versions of iOS games have a time lag to them. But ti will eventually hit the Android market.

1 person liked this | LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

I used to be able to beat the game in one life. Once you learned the game and where everything appeared it was very easy - but it took a while to get that familiar with it.

KulWun said:

Android version? Why ignore over 75% of the mobile phone market?

We?re told that a version for Android will be available via Google Play within the next couple of months before being released on the Amazon Appstore for Android.

captainawesome captainawesome said:

Why ignore android (at first anyway) - well because android users dont pay as readily. But they do like their adware :-D

misor misor said:

Contra is lame.

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, select, start

it is so hard for me that I needed to have 100 lives to beat the game...

...wait... I am lame.

misor misor said:

Contra is lame.

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, select, start

it is so hard for me that I needed to have 100 lives to beat the game...

...wait... I am lame.

1 person liked this | LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

wait... I am lame.

Only because you double posted

MrAnderson said:

Awh... Virtual dpad... no! I want a real controller.

This is why I cannot play games originally designed for a controller on a touch screen.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Only because you double posted

He wants us to memorize the code too! lol

2 people like this | SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Yep. Thats how NES games were. That is why they are so great too, because you had to put in a lot of effort to become really really good at them. After about the mid 90s the 'memorization' of game patterns wasn't a deciding factor in how good you were. I've been on both sides of this, so I don't know which I like better. I do enjoy being better than all but 2 people I have ever played SNES Mario Kart with/against (out of literally hundreds), but I like to be able to drop into a modern game and not totally get my ass handed to me - ie AI compensates for your apparent skill.

misor misor said:

Only because you double posted

haha! my bad. ie10 did not refresh after a few minutes so I clicked "post reply" button again.:p

cmbjive said:

Yep. Thats how NES games were. That is why they are so great too, because you had to put in a lot of effort to become really really good at them. After about the mid 90s the 'memorization' of game patterns wasn't a deciding factor in how good you were. I've been on both sides of this, so I don't know which I like better. I do enjoy being better than all but 2 people I have ever played SNES Mario Kart with/against (out of literally hundreds), but I like to be able to drop into a modern game and not totally get my *** handed to me - ie AI compensates for your apparent skill.

This is why I almost always play my games on hard and am a huge fan of hard RPGs like Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma and Skyrim (play on Hardcore or higher). These games punish you when you make mistakes and are unforgiving in meting it (especially Dark Souls). A lot of games nowadays do a bunch of handholding with pointing you in the right direction, or giving extraneous hints. Especially in Dark Souls you are just thrown in the game and expected to figure it out.