Leaked benchmark results show Intel Silvermont CPU dominates the competition

By on July 8, 2013, 11:00 AM

Benchmark results from Intel’s upcoming Silvermont processor recently hit the web and it looks like the chip maker has a winner on their hands. Specifically, a dual-core 1.1GHz Silvermont component allegedly turned in a score of 43,416 in AnTuTu which is significantly higher than anything else around.

For comparison, most devices running Qualcomm’s top-of-the-line Snapdragon 800 processor score in the 25,000 to 30,000 range. Mind you, Qualcomm’s flagship chip is a quad-core component while the chip in the benchmark from Intel is only running two cores.

Silvermont is said to be much more efficient than previous Intel offerings which is good news as chips destined for mobile devices must be conscious of battery consumption. It’s so efficient, in fact, that the chip maker claims it can be faster than a standard quad-core chip. And if these benchmark results are legit, they now have the hard data to back up that claim.

Efficiency aside, Intel says 22-nanometer Silvermont chips are up to three times faster than earlier Atom processors. It’s also important to remember that final production chips can be clocked up to 2.1GHz – another 1,000MHz higher than what we saw in the leaked benchmark.

Intel’s new Atom processor is expected to arrive later this year although it is still too early to know which phones / tablets will be the first to ship with Intel inside. With any luck, we’ll be able to get our hands on an early sample and put it through the full gamut of tests.

1 person liked this | roxxas2 said:

It'd be nice to see this in Windows Phones. They're already blazing fast, and these would just make them ridiculously speedy. Plus, it's always nice to see Intel products in devices.

1 person liked this | MilwaukeeMike said:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really trust 'leaked' *wink-wink* benchmarks with awesome results.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Intel were able to come through with a top of the line low power processor. Just because they've been late to the game in that area doesn't mean they're going to be playing catch up for a few years.

We do however need some power numbers to predict battery life before getting too excited. And even then, I think I'd rather have a processor with equal speed to a Snapdragon 800 with 30% better efficiency than a processor with equal efficiency and 30% better speed.

mosu said:

Quick note: I'll never buy any device with "Intel Inside" and I'm not alone! I don't have time to explain, but I'm sure most of you know why.OK, one small hint: spy in the pocket.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

And you think it is different with the competition? Ignoring any known (or suspected) issues will not make them go away. You are being spied on no matter what you do, if you don't like it then kill the spy.

FYI, Intel probably doesn't put spying devices in your phone, the manufacturers of the phone do. I don't think intel puts a secret microphone in their processors that listens to what you do.

JC713 JC713 said:

Great to see mobile CPUs advancing.

spy in the pocket

Yea, that makes perfect sense. Because the small device in your pocket with a microphone,duel cameras,internet access, and personal data has been perfectly secure this whole time. And it would take Intel to change that. Right?

I for one would purchase an "intel inside" phone in a heartbeat. And I think that the other mobile chip makers should be worried. This isn't some low budget start-up trying to compete for market share. This company makes processors, and they are damn good at it.

havok585 havok585 said:

Intel : FOR THE WIN !! QC is screwed.