Chrome 28 delivers rich notifications for apps, extensions on Windows

By on July 10, 2013, 2:00 PM
google, windows, chrome, browser, apps, extensions, webkit, blink, chrome 28, rich notifications

Google recently released version 28 of Chrome for Windows as an automatic update which includes a couple of noteworthy features in addition to bug fixes. It’s the first version of the browser that ships with Google’s new rendering engine called Blink, a direct replacement for WebKit.

The search giant decided to make the switch because they needed to be free to add features and make security fixes without being chained down by having to ensure compatibility with WebKit.

Chrome 28 also includes the ability for apps and extensions to deliver rich pop-up notifications to the user. The browser already supports notifications but this version will enable those messages to be richer in context which means they can include things like images and lists instead of basic text. For example, developers could use these notifications to display a list of unread e-mails or show image thumbnails.

Google offers a rich notification test app and documentation for those interested in learning more about how to use rich notifications in their apps and extensions.

What’s more, notifications now arrive as part of the notification center and thus can be delivered even when the browser isn’t open. It’s worth pointing out that these notifications are already available in the Chrome OS browser and we are told they will be added to versions for Linux and Mac soon.

If you are interested in trying Chrome 28 you can download it by clicking on your operating system: Windows, Mac or Linux.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It just keeps getting better.

It does feels faster, especially in 'heavy' websites like The Verge.

How exactly are notifications being delivered even if the app isn't running?

Is there some other program running in the background after Chrome shuts down that handles notifications?

If so, how does a user shut down that background program?

JC713 JC713 said:

It just keeps getting better.

It does feels faster, especially in 'heavy' websites like The Verge.

I dont notice any difference.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I dont notice any difference.

I did. I usually found Chrome didn't scroll as fast as Firefox when I went to The Verge. I then "tested" this by loading the page and as soon as anything is rendered I immediately began to scroll down.

I noticed the browser doesn't wait for the page to be completely drawn now; perhaps is not even this, maybe the case is that its drawing much faster giving me such an illusion. I know it's not an empirical test, but that's what I saw.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

It just keeps getting better.

It does feels faster, especially in 'heavy' websites like The Verge.

I dont notice any difference.

Me either.

JC713 JC713 said:

Chrome 27 brought a 5% improvement, but nothing was mentioned about 28. If I am not mistaken, they are beginning to rollout the Blink engine.