Bebo announces they're returning to the social network sphere

By on August 8, 2013, 9:30 AM

Bebo, the social network that was quite popular in 2007, has been left unused after users flocked to Facebook in the following years. In 2008 the site was sold to AOL for $850 million, a deal so atrocious it eventually cost then AOL CEO Randy Falco his job; in the years to follow, the site saw rapidly declining traffic, AOL attempted to get rid of it, and eventually the original owner bought it back for just $1 million.

Now, Bebo founder Michael Birch has announced that big plans are in the works to bring the network back from the dead. He is looking to wipe the slate completely clean, saying that the new Bebo will be "very different" from the old one. Birch added the new site will be less 'cocky', referring to the often genital-ridden whiteboard feature of the old service.

Anyone who's interested in the new Bebo can head to the site to reserve an early access spot using an "email address you actually check". For others who might want their old Bebo photos and blog posts back, the site will also tell you when those will be available to download in a couple of months time.

While not much is being shared about how the new Bebo will function and what it will look like, it seems that entertainment will be a big part of the revamped network, again not unlike the original.

1 person liked this | mccartercar said:

Do I have this right?

Bebo was sold to AOL fro 850$ million.

Bebo was bought for 1$ million.

That's what I call haggling.

Jim$ter said:

Never heard of it....but funny video I might just have to check it out.

Arris Arris said:

MIght want to design a logo that doesn't look so much like the Beats by Dr. Dre one.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

What is the correlation between the penis and Bebo? I'm not sure if I want an account with Bebo.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Another social networking site? Isn't the 5000 already in existence more than enough? No wonder these sites go up & down like a *****'s drawers.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Fad rotation! Everything that was old is new again. Only this time they start new with $849 million profit after being old for 6 years. Talk about a selling/buying strategy of a lifetime! Even if it doesn't pan out this time around, I highly doubt they really care.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I agree. As you say, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

DJ SAMBO DJ SAMBO said:

to be fair I was seeing the bebo B long befor beats by dre

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

to be fair I was seeing the bebo B long befor beats by dre
I did a search last night, just to see which one came out first. lol