Rockstar teases multiplayer mayhem in GTA Online gameplay trailer

By on August 15, 2013, 3:00 PM

Rockstar revealed the debut premiere trailer for Grand Theft Auto Online today. Players will be robbing banks, knocking off liquor stores, playing golf and parachuting with 15 of their friends in the "first ever persistent and dynamic Grand Theft Auto game world," according to Rockstar. GTA Online is set to launch on October 1, two weeks after Grand Theft Auto V releases.

GTA Online will share the same geography and gameplay mechanics as GTA V but will expand over time to include new content from Rockstar and the GTA community. Rockstar North president Leslie Benzies said that it's "a different entity, a separate thing, and it'll grow on its own. It'll be GTA Online; it's not part of GTA V. Obviously it's set in the GTA V engine, but it's going to grow and evolve into its own thing."

Initially it will work like this: Remember that character wheel we saw in the GTA V gameplay footage that will allow us to select and switch between the three main protagonist in-game? Well, we now know that the fourth, open slot will house your GTA Online identity. When GTA Online launches there will be a small download according to Rockstar, and then your online character will become available.

Like we mentioned briefly above, players will be able to fully explore the sandbox with their friends or just go at it alone and see who you bump into. You can even go on more elaborate, single player-like missions together and participate in the standard multiplayer modes.

None of Michael, Franklin and Trevor's stat upgrades or character customization will cross over to your online character, there is a completely separate character creation tool for your online persona. In fact, Benzies says the online component is actually set slightly before the events of GTA V. 

For more details check out the premiere trailer above and head over to the official GTA Online section of the site.




User Comments: 10

Got something to say? Post a comment
havok585 havok585 said:

I'm going to change my underwear...

davislane1 davislane1 said:

Looks promising. Here's to hoping they've done away with that ridiculous auto-aim function that ruined GTA IV's multiplayer.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Looks great. I commend them for not charging extra, considering this launches after GTA V.

Guest said:

I luv GTA and I will 100% absolutely buy "V" it but...

Only on PC, think I am gone not care about this b4 I see a proper coming to PC statement.

I bought "IV" on 360 first... but the PC version is the one I spent a lot of time on.

If this is gone be some kind of long term online thingy and on 360 and PS3 nah....

This sounds strange and fishy.....I am simply not sold on this on console.

Maybe I missed the hole point and this is on PC ....shrugs

I have been sold on empty fancy worth less console promises from these company's way

to many times.

It does not mater what what company it is and what they say... PC is king for games.

It is their own fault that this has become my view...

General Sam General Sam said:

"Ride around and show off", to whom? :p My friends aren't going to be peds walking around.

They make GTA 5 sound like real life. None the less I hope these activities remain VERY fun and interesting and not a case of "oh we robbed 3 banks, 2 liquor stores (who robs these?) and raced a few times and it's boring".

Assuming the GTA 5 PC petition goes through, I'll get it on that. More than likely will skip it otherwise.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

"Ride around and show off", to whom? :p My friends aren't going to be peds walking around.

They make GTA 5 sound like real life. None the less I hope these activities remain VERY fun and interesting and not a case of "oh we robbed 3 banks, 2 liquor stores (who robs these?) and raced a few times and it's boring".

Assuming the GTA 5 PC petition goes through, I'll get it on that. More than likely will skip it otherwise.

There's racing, drag racing, cop chases, biking, golf, skydiving, parasailing, scuba diving, deathmatch, team deathmatch, a team deathmatch editor, and heists. I could be missing some activities, but those are from the top of my head.

If you have friends, and by that I don't mean couple online acquaintances on your Steam friend lists, then the potential for fun is enormous. Not to mention, the online portion is free and is added on top the singe player experience.

General Sam General Sam said:

There's racing, drag racing, cop chases, biking, golf, skydiving, parasailing, scuba diving, deathmatch, team deathmatch, a team deathmatch editor, and heists. I could be missing some activities, but those are from the top of my head.

I hope from everything you've just mentioned meant that they've fully polished off the game play & mechanics. I just finished playing GTA IV and wow it's the most frustrating and shoddly made GTA games I've played.

GTA 5 better do some stirling work, personally I don't really care for the new activities, or is this what Grand Theft Auto is all about? Being a sim-game? If I wanted to play Tennis, I would go play Virtua Tennis etc... I haven't heard the return of any classic modes such as Kill Frenzy yet.

JC713 JC713 said:

Looks awesome.

Guest said:

Holy cow, I guess this will be the first time I will be buying an original GTA. and not just one, but 2 copies. for me and for my bro!

good!!

Nobina Nobina said:

I luv GTA and I will 100% absolutely buy "V" it but...

Only on PC, think I am gone not care about this b4 I see a proper coming to PC statement.

I bought "IV" on 360 first... but the PC version is the one I spent a lot of time on.

If this is gone be some kind of long term online thingy and on 360 and PS3 nah....

This sounds strange and fishy.....I am simply not sold on this on console.

Maybe I missed the hole point and this is on PC ....shrugs

I have been sold on empty fancy worth less console promises from these company's way

to many times.

It does not mater what what company it is and what they say... PC is king for games.

It is their own fault that this has become my view...

So basically what you said in every line, you will get this only if it's on PC...

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.