Yahoo trumps Google in web traffic for first time in two years

By on August 22, 2013, 10:00 AM
google, yahoo, flickr, tumblr, comscore, search, marissa mayer, web traffic, unique visitors

Yahoo generated more web traffic than Google last month, the first time that’s happened in more than two years. Marissa Mayer and company pulled in 196.6 million unique visitors during the month of July compared to just 192.3 million for Google’s properties according to comScore’s monthly rankings.

The victory is interesting for a number of reasons. For one, Yahoo’s numbers don’t include traffic from Tumblr – a platform that ranked 28th overall with more than 38 million unique visitors. If you factor in those numbers, Yahoo pulls firmly ahead of Google in overall US traffic.

Second, Yahoo hasn’t exactly been on a mission to garner the most web traffic. Instead, Marissa Mayer has been on a tear as of late, scooping up virtually every startup in sight to bolster the company’s mobile efforts. But that doesn’t mean she’s been neglecting Yahoo’s properties, either. Earlier this year, the company redesigned a number of their popular portals including Flickr, Weather, Fantasy Sports and Mail.

Conversely, comScore’s data doesn’t include mobile traffic which is gaining momentum every day and is poised to become one of the most important metrics to determine success in the near future. True enough, vice president at comScore Andrew Lipsman said it is possible Google will be back on top in the upcoming multiplatform rankings (once mobile is factored in).

Microsoft websites, Facebook and AOL rounded out the top five web destinations in the US with 179,595 million, 142,266 million and 117,395 million unique visitors, respectively. Share value in Yahoo is up nearly three percent on the news at $27.81 as of writing.

5 people like this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

That's great. Now I wonder if she'd like to celebrate over a couple of bottles of champagne (out of her purse of course) with me...

P.S. I hope my lovely wife of 25 years doesn't read this post.

stansfield stansfield said:

I used to use Google for searches but during the last few weeks it has become so painfully slow in re-directing to links that I gave up and used Yahoo which acts normally instead. Could this have happened to others?

Nobina Nobina said:

Google still works for me, no reason to change to Yahoo.

PinothyJ said:

You do realise that Yahoo's search results are powered by Bing?

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'd guess that it will be a slaughter when mobile is factored in, Google has a massive amount of traffic in that arena. Still, it's so weird that even with YouTube and Chrome's default use of Google for search, Yahoo came out on top. I honestly can't think of a single time in the last several years I've gone to a Yahoo site, but I can imagine that Flickr (which I don't use) was one of the biggest factors.

treetops treetops said:

I only browse the news on yahoo, check my 2ndary email occasionally and use yahoo answers. I search on google 99% of the time.

It's football season. Everyone must be doing their fantasy picks. CBS and Yahoo traffic go through the roof. =)

Lurker101 said:

P.S. I hope my lovely wife of 25 years doesn't read this post.

I think she'd understand

JC713 JC713 said:

I still prefer Google.

Tanstar said:

Yahoo has a lot of sports sites as well. Overall good news site (though I normally use MSN since that's where my wife's email defaults to when she logs out) too.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

You do realise that Yahoo's search results are powered by Bing?
I thought that awhile back, Google claimed that Bing was copying their results. No?