Nintendo Wii U deluxe set price cut, Zelda bundle coming soon

By on August 28, 2013, 1:15 PM
nintendo, wii u, nintendo wii, zelda, the legend of zelda, the wind waker hd

Nintendo is looking to make their Wii U console a bit more attractive (and affordable) this holiday season by slashing the price of the deluxe set. The changes will be accompanied by a new limited edition bundle aimed squarely at fans of the Zelda franchise.

Effective September 20, consumers will be able to pick up the aforementioned Wii U deluxe set for $299.99, effectively knocking $50 off the total price of the bundle and bringing it to the same level as the basic set.

The biggest difference between the two is in hard drive space – 8GB versus 32GB – but there are also some other included accessories that have made the deluxe bundle more desirable up to this point. With both sets now priced identically, there’s no real reason to opt for the entry-level kit now.

Nintendo is also releasing a limited edition bundle on the same day (at the same $299.99 price point) that includes black console hardware and accessories, 32GB of storage and a custom GamePad with Zelda lettering. Elsewhere is a digital download of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD and a digital copy of the Hyrule Historia book.

The holiday season will no doubt belong to Microsoft and Sony but Nintendo isn’t deterred. Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime acknowledged that sales have been slow since the console hit the scene late last year but a price cut as well as a solid software lineup should make them more competitive and prove they are fighting for market share.

1 person liked this | JC713 JC713 said:

I may think about getting one just for Zelda.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Perfect - just what I've been waiting for.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

White Basic Set is $319 8GB and where the Black Basic Set it $340 32GB. I'll wait for too drop some more in price range.

1 person liked this | ikesmasher said:

Ill pay $150 for the basic version. I just cant justify more than that for the game catalog thats available.

I dont even need the tablet controller with it, just gimme a pro controller (assuming its compatible with all games) and ill be happy.

Prosercunus said:

You almost had me sold until it said "Digital copy of Wind Waker HD"

jeromie said:

This is awesome, I don't really care that the Zelda game will be digital copy that just saves from losing the disc or getting it scratched.

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Hmm. Let me think about buying a game console... OK, I've thought about it... NO!!!

Jamlad said:

Meh. I already played in on my GC, could have played it on my Wii if I were so inclined, why would I want to play it again a third generation later?

Nintendo, please release some new games. Give me a reason to want to buy your console.

tehbanz tehbanz said:

The tablet controller is a necessity though. I thought from pictures it would be cumbersome and annoying but it's actually really comfortable and I do enjoy using it for the games I play.

ikesmasher said:

Its not that I mind the tablet. Its adds too much to the cost. Regardless of enjoyability the library isnt big enough to pay $300 for.