GameStick finally shipped to Kickstarter backers, expected to hit retail next month

By on August 29, 2013, 3:30 PM
android, kickstarter, ouya, gamestick, playjam, portable, september

PlayJam, the company behind portable Android game console GameStick, has finally begun shipping Kickstarter backer units and should start doing the same for retail orders by the end of September. In a recent blog post, the company explained an initial pilot run had been completed, which meant Kickstarter units were primed to come off the production line this month with fulfillment happening in batches.

Reports say that all Kickstarter units have now been shipped, with the last of them expected to arrive around the middle of September. For those who pre-ordered the device on Amazon or through any other retailer, the expected launch date is currently set for September 30.

Initially backers were supposed to receive their consoles back in April, but due to an abundance of orders it was pushed to June, and then delayed once again for a second time. The company received so many orders it had to reorganize its manufacturing infrastructure to accommodate the demand. Unlike Ouya, it sounds as though GameStick backers will go hands on before the expected retail launch date.

As you may recall, the latter was heavily criticized for not living up to the promise of delivering units to all backers ahead of retail availability, prompting the company to offer in-store credit to those who felt wronged.

Like Ouya, GameStick is an inexpensive Android console with its own eco system and controller. The $80 miniature console is obviously much more portable though, requiring nothing more than the controller and dongle. It features full 1080p video playback with 8GB of flash storage that's expandable by way of a microSD slot, as well as a dual core Cortex-A9 8726-MX processor, a MALI 400 graphics chip and 1 GB of RAM.

1 person liked this | Ranger1st Ranger1st said:

If I was a backer I would say bravo to these people for taking steps to solve potential issues well ahead of time. Everyone has this, " I want it now " mentality. This is a business YOU invested in, allow them to stay in business by doing things the right way, rather then bowing to a selfish wee girls blouse that's demanding his/her toy and too bad if they die a slow death because they weren't able make the right decisions ahead of time. Reminds me of the pathetic wee lass's that whined and snivelled of MASS Effect 3's ending.

1 person liked this | treetops treetops said:

So it acts like a android phone and plugs into a tv? If you can use the free nes emulator that alone would be worth it. All snes nes sega games for 80$.

1 person liked this | howzz1854 said:

For a while I thought it was a controller for the android, or iphone. that got me real excited. then came to find out it's just another handheld console, the last thing I want to see is another portable console.

treetops treetops said:

Yeah I was hoping it was a controller I could plug into my phone.

1 person liked this | tehbanz tehbanz said:

the controller is wireless, I'm sure you can somehow get your phone to recognize it.

howzz1854 said:

recognize it is one thing. to get the thing to be fully compatible with the games you play on an iphone or android is another. shit I can get a lot of stuff recognized by my phone, but that don't mean anything.

tehbanz tehbanz said:

recognize it is one thing. to get the thing to be fully compatible with the games you play on an iphone or android is another. **** I can get a lot of stuff recognized by my phone, but that don't mean anything.

I suppose, I've never had an android phone that was capable enough to game, so I've never experimented with controllers.

treetops treetops said:

I was hoping it was a controller I could plug into my phone and play my phones games with ease. Like a USB controller for pc. Can't believe no one has made that yet. I was hoping to come back here and see someone say oh they have one of those its a XX. From my experience droid and iphones play games just fine. Never really had an issue playing app store games.