Weekend Open Forum: What is your favorite stealth video game/franchise?

By on September 6, 2013, 6:45 PM
open forum, stealth, gaming, splinter cell, deus ex, dishonored, metal gear

For me video games have always been about the immersion of putting myself in the shoes of a single character on screen -- and maybe because I've never been naturally good at fast paced FPS games -- stealth experiences have always resonated with me. Developers have been trying to master the art of stealth since the very early days of the Metal Gear series and even in Wolfenstein dating back as far as 1981. Nowadays, the genre has evolved with some great franchises like Splinter Cell, Hitman and my personal favorite, Metal Gear.

Even though I have always had a soft spot for Snake's convoluted story-lines and admittedly stiff game mechanics, the other big players in the genre have always made me question who has done it the best? Not the story, not the characters, but the actual stealth gameplay mechanics. Even a game like Dishonored should be involved in the conversation in my opinion, it obviously doesn't have the pedigree of the aforementioned franchises, but it certainly added a level of speed and mobility to what was generally thought of as a slow paced and methodical genre. As for single game experiences, my favorites are Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Hitman: Blood Money and MGS:3.

For this week's open forum, we're wondering what your favorite stealth game/franchise is and what you think of the genre as a whole. Do the long-running franchises like Metal Gear and Hitman hold the crown or do new players like Human Revolution and Dishonored bring it to the next level?

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Metal Gear Solid, no question for me.

I've yet to play a stealth game that surpasses the quality in both story and gameplay that the MGS series delivers for me.

1 person liked this | TitoBXNY TitoBXNY said:

Splinter Cell franchise. Thief.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

The NSA Surveilance Scheme

I don't really like it,

but that's nothing scariest.

Alpha Gamer Alpha Gamer said:

Splinter Cell is great. I wish someone would remake the Tenchu series with current technology. The stealth bits in batman games are also good.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Assassin's Creed for me. Whole franchise is enjoyable but I like the first part.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Thief was the original game that introduced a lot of elements that tons of other games used for stealth elements. It deserves to be number 1.

AnilD AnilD said:

I definitely agree with Metal Gear Solid games, and also Dishonored.

Dishonored was so good on PC... The controls were so fluid and believable, the environment was so dynamic and unpredictable. The climbing was quick and looked good, the power-ups were perfect...

Just an overall amazing game. Had a great time with it, I always chose sneaky over murderous.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

These four:

Dishonored

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Metro: Last Light

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

Batman Arkham franchise

Nobina Nobina said:

Dishonored was good. Can't remember something else.

2 people like this | Guest said:

Thief absolutely rules; Splinter Cell is very good.

Deus Ex HR wasn't too bad either.

(Don't like Hitman.)

1 person liked this | hitech0101 said:

Assassin's creed all games are good

sepehr1 said:

I like Modern War Far3(MWF3)

1 person liked this | Razer said:

Crysis of course! especially the first Crysis

fimbles fimbles said:

Hitman series, Splinter cell ruled until chaos theory,

Alpha Gamer Alpha Gamer said:

Hitman series, Splinter cell ruled until chaos theory,

I finished blacklist yesterday, and I must say it was awesome.

1 person liked this | TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Thief - the series that started it all.

1 person liked this | pieceofSchmitt pieceofSchmitt said:

Deus ex

Khanonate said:

The NSA Surveilance Scheme

I don't really like it,

but that's nothing scariest.

Since, you don't really like it, you should move to Russia, China or North Korea. Then you'll have a new

found meaning of the word "Scariest".

1 person liked this | lchu12 lchu12 said:

Tenchu

trgz said:

The mention of MW3 surprised me until I realised some of the bits were quite stealthy, but I think a truly good stealth game should allow you to play through as much as possible without killing; maybe allows soft-takedowns ie rendering your victim unconcious; or at least rewards you for reduced kills.

So I'm torn between Thief 3, Dishonored, Deus Ex, Deus Ex:HR, Splintercells 1-3. Interestingly, these are amongst my 'I'd play that again one day' list possibly due to the heightened involvement that I feel a stealth game has to offer. I did replay SC1 and tried the next-to-zero kills; I also in Deus Ex but got distracted and never finished (hmm where's that save game...)

1 person liked this | trgz said:

These four:

Dishonored

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Metro: Last Light

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

The mention of Metro:Last Light has me intrigued as I've just bought it, though I remember 2033 as having some stealth sections but not much more.

fimbles fimbles said:

I finished blacklist yesterday, and I must say it was awesome.

The reviews look great too, I guess I will check it out, I must confess I am a Bit jaded after conviction.

Alpha Gamer Alpha Gamer said:

found meaning of the word "Scariest".

North Korea, the best Korea

JC713 JC713 said:

Hitman is my favorite.

dexterkarthik dexterkarthik said:

CRYSIS FTW - forever

ElShotte ElShotte said:

Hitman series, Splinter cell ruled until chaos theory,

Wait, are you saying Chaos Theory was the last one that was good, or the first one that a was bad? In my opinion, Chaos Theory is the best Splinter Cell in the series. Double Agent wasn't bad either, with core mechanics based heavily on Chaos Theory. Also, I think D.A. wasn't on par with Chaos Theory because of all it's bugs, when it worked, it worked well. What a lot of people don't know is that there's 2 completely different versions of Splinter Cell: Double Agent. One version was released on the PC, Xbox 360 and PS3, and the other was the Xbox, PlayStation 2, GameCube, and Wii version. The games were completely different, and supposedly the previous-gen game was a lot better, it was developed by the studio that did the original and Chaos Theory, while the next-gen version was done by the folks that did SC:PT. Anyway, I love the Splinter Cell series, and I believe it redefined the stealth genre quite much.

Man, I remember when I played Metal Gear Solid back on the PS1, what an incredible game of it's time. As a matter of fact, I picked up Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes some time ago so I could play it on my PC (with Dolphin) and enjoy the game yet again with better graphics. Sons of Liberty wasn't bad either, I just hated the fact that the main game took place only on that damn platform. As far as MGS3 goes, I've played that recently when I purchased the MGS HD Collection for the 360, and I was well through when my Xbox died, so I never got to complete it, seeing as I was not buying a third console.

Someone also mentioned Tenchu, and yes, that game was quite good too, but I don't remember it that much though, and I think they did release a PS3 version of it, but it was garbage.

Anyway, I think my favorite series is Splinter Cell, with Chaos Theory being my favorite. I just got Blacklist, and I'm actually enjoying it. I'm going through it in Realistic, and I saw somewhere they have some mode that makes it like Chaos Theory, by removing the Sonar Goggles and whatnot, although I have yet to try that.

Marnomancer Marnomancer said:

Amnesia series.

A MAD game. Frustrating even.

Apart from that there's Assassin's Creed and Hitman series.

Sorry, was posting too quick.

I meant:

SYSTEM SHOCK

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

The NSA Surveilance Scheme

I don't really like it,

but that's nothing scariest.

found meaning of the word "Scariest".

In those countries they don't pretend you have rights.

Madscatterbrain said:

-- Picky-me --

...typing away without an afterthought (& corrections) -- as in: the best experiences should manifest itself organically when making said list.

[neither made chronologically...different strokes...and all of that...]

a. DX (1st & 3rd only) -- but when bored, IW (2nd is also doable)...

b. Thief (2 & 3) -- can't remember playing 1 (most likely did, knowing me, but 1 & 2 seem rather indistinguishable)...

c. 2nd System Shock - never played 1 - and, honestly speaking, can't even be bothered to go on a tangent (rant) with it's 'spiritual successor(s)' -- for what its worth: BS is what a darker & twistier Disney would have come up with had they made digital games...

Three is enough. However, couldn't resist mentioning Dishonored; hopefully will be remembered as a catalyst for a new generation of Stealth Games (DE:HR -- is more an RPG/Stealth game that somehow, in my own reckoning, lives in its own metaverse).

As to NSA topic -- highly recommend 'Propaganda'...

For convenience sake:

(http) propagandafilm (dot) Net

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

North Korea, the best Korea

Good for a laugh. We've now got Clive Palmer in our Parliament. Hair-brained quotes daily! Should be a hoot!

Oh yeah... another vote for DX1 and DX3.

The original Tench for PS1, best game in the series. I also like the original Deus Ex.

MonsterZero MonsterZero said:

Dishonored for sure, the weapons, traps, etc make for and endless combination of kills.

Moxiy Moxiy said:

Nuhthng compares 2 hitman. well thts accordn 2 me...

Assassins Creed (any of them)

Dishonored

Splinter Cell (any of them)

Route44 Route44, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

Thief series. The first installment The Dark Project is a masterpiece.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Tenchu, even tho I was never very good at them :P