Downloads of iOS 7 caused 'major' Internet traffic jams

By on September 27, 2013, 8:15 AM

Apple’s iOS 7 became available for download last week just a couple of days before the iPhone 5S and 5C hit the streets. As has become the case with major revisions from Apple, the influx of traffic pinging Cupertino’s servers led to a lot headaches for those trying to upgrade and according to Web security company Blue Coat, it had a pretty noteworthy impact on the Internet as a whole.

Blue Coat found iOS 7 created a major traffic jam on the web in the days surrounding its release. Based on data from appliances deployed around the world, the company found that customers saw a 256 percent increase in traffic to Apple.com compared to the five days before the launch. In at least one case, Blue Coat found Apple.com traffic skyrocketed to over 32 percent of total web traffic.

iOS 7 varied in size depending on what device it was destined for. Some users found they only needed an update consisting of a few hundred megabytes while others, like iPhone 5 users on Verizon, required an update that was 1.2GB in size. With millions of people pinging Apple servers for updates like these all at once, it’s easy to understand the stress that such an event would put on servers and the web in general.

Blue Coat’s Jeff Brainard said that unlike regular traffic from streaming companies such as Netflix and YouTube, downloads like this are difficult to plan for although I’m not entirely sure I agree. Apple knew full well that a lot of people were going to be hitting them up for the update at once. It happened last year and the year before and it will happen next year, too. To think that the influx of traffic was a total surprise is a bit naive, but I digress.

Ronald Yates Ronald Yates said:

32% of traffic I feel is a huge number in today's world! but my iPhone 5, from Verizon, only had just over 700MB for the update

t3chn0vamp said:

1.2GB size for a mobile OS? Thats quite huge !!!

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

And the size of of the update for my Apple phone was... 0 bits simply because I use Android.

t3chn0vamp said:

And I was under impression that Apple phones uses iOS not Android !!! Did you develop your own Apple phone?

2 people like this | Guest said:

32% of TOTAL web traffic? I'm calling BS on that. That number (when converted to data transfer rate) would be beyond insane. The entire web traffic of the US population combined would be lucky to make up that kind of figure.

2 people like this | OneSpeed said:

This negative publicity about impacting the world wide internet is just so misleading. The number of Apple phones is less than Androids (based on worldwide market share) and is continuing it's downward trend. Apple would like everyone to think they have such an impact on the world's internet. For myself, I didn't even notice the internet being slow, maybe at Cupertino's pipes. I mean, c'mon....

OneSpeed said:

Also, for Apple, negative publicity is good publicity when you can get any.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Shhh... I'm working on it. Do you wanna get me sued by Apple before I've made a killing?

mctommy said:

Though there are more android phones out there, you have to consider that not a majority of them upgrade their OS within the same 5 days or so. If you have 100 million android users trying to update their OS within 5 days, you'll likely have similar results (I'm not saying there are 100 million iOS devices trying to upgrade because I don't actually know the number of cell phones out there).

2 people like this | p51d007 said:

The sheep have responded!

Railman said:

It would have been more useful to know if there are still issues downloading IOS7. Also it would be useful to know if there any issues using the new OS with older phones such as the iPhone 4.

In other words is it worth updating my wife's iPhone OS?

ikesmasher said:

"In at least one case, Blue Coat found Apple.com traffic skyrocketed to over 32 percent of total web traffic."

I find that horrifying.

JC713 JC713 said:

It was quite a big update and there was a lot of hype for it. This doesnt surprise me.