Weekend Open Forum: Would you accept Deux Ex-like augmentations?

By on September 27, 2013, 6:00 PM
deus ex, augmentation

With so many companies developing wearable smart devices, it seems like it's only a matter of time before Deus Ex-style body augmentations are being widely discussed. It's kind of scary to think about having just a smartphone's features on or in your body, but what if things reached sci-fi proportions?

Are you happy with being "only" human or would you be open to getting some enhancements? If the former, is there a deeper ethical reason behind your stance? For everyone else: would you be an early adopter and how far would you go? How about X-ray vision or another tech that could be easily abused?

14 people like this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Ah, absolutely. I'd adore being the first kid on my block with a cybernetic penile implant with an endoscope attachment. Full hi-def. of course.....

I'd call myself the "Sperminator".

(To the staff: would you at least hit this up with a "like" or two, before you pull it)?:p

I would so go for some new eyes, a non-invasive brain interface that allows me to send commands via thought but aren't designed to directly receive information. The information would need to be received visually and audibly because I don't want data going directly into my brain until it's been vetted to Matrix levels.

1 person liked this | wastedkill said:

I have asthma so if I can get something to remove that definitely would haha xD

Panda218 Panda218 said:

I'd call myself the "Sperminator".

That's the first positive post I've read by you since Joining TS

JC713 JC713 said:

Of course I Would .

Alpha Gamer Alpha Gamer said:

Definitely, I have carpal tunnel syndrome and the muscles in my back are not the best either. If there were some kind of device that enhances language acquisition and performance, I'd happily wear them too.

spencer spencer said:

I have asthma so if I can get something to remove that definitely would haha xD
me 2

1 person liked this | Guest said:

That seems lazy. I would go full Chimera. Eagle eyes, horse penis, the works. And then, upgrade further if biological has reached the limits.

ikesmasher said:

Well this went in a direction I didn't see coming. I don't know why I didn't....

Alpha Gamer Alpha Gamer said:

You're right sir. Full Chimera it is: I want wings made of money, laser eyes, wheels replacing my legs. Instead of arms, .50 cal machine gun. And the cake cherry: above my head, a halo resembling a shuriken. My lance of love needs no enhancements.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I think if you refer to Frank Herbert's "Dune", you'll quickly realize you're suffering from acute "Spice" underdose.

(Dear Lord I hope somebody gets this reference:oops: ).

gibbstar gibbstar said:

Definitely! give me an extra terabyte of memory storage attached to my brain stem and an optical implant that allows me to learn things like people with photographic memories. would make school SO much easier!!

davislane1 davislane1 said:

I don't find the idea of being a cyborg too appealing, so I'd only use the tech if it were to replace organic parts that were destroyed/irreparably damaged. Luxury augs would simply be out of the question.

Ethically speaking, I don't see any conflict unless said technology were used for nefarious purposes. So long as those with applicable augmentations are banned from sports, active trading, certain academic achievements/awards and admissions, and music & art competitions, I see no more ethical problems than those that may exist with the current augmentation culture.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

[homersimpsonvoice] Mmmmm....Melange [/homersimpsonvoice]

ikesmasher said:

(Dear Lord I hope somebody gets this reference:oops: ).

Sorry. I had to.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Sorry. I had to.

The setup for that is a long story. Literally, about a thousand pages.

Here's the short answer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(novel)

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

The setup for that is a long story. Literally, about a thousand pages.

Here's the short answer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(novel)

I'm now waiting for someone to chastise you for not adding SPOILER ALERT

For a 45 year old book

Quester55 Quester55 said:

When looking over the Augs. from Deus Ex & Deus Ex; Invisible War, I Would take some of those upgrades in a heartbeat !

Vision Enhancement W/Night Vision

Legs Enhancement W/Jumping

Lung Enhancement W/Extended Capacity

Self Healing With the Black Market Mod of Health Leach

And if they ever come up with a Nano Mod to Reduce Obesity, I'd be first in line!

However, at age 58, I'll not hold my breath, waiting for these fictional things to become a reality, any time soon.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Don't give up hope! Twenty years ago the digital cochlear implant I have was barely in the research phase. By 2009 when I had mine fitted I went from 98% hearing loss (profoundly deaf) to around 80-85% of what is accepted as the normal hearing range, and somewhat better than that when using a device with a digital emitter since there is no distortion as there is with sound through air.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

...[ ]....

Really. At your age, (and I'm older than you), I'd just pray nightly that Medicare will still be around when you hit 65........:eek: (as you may have just guessed, I'm nowhere near as upbeat as DBZ).

I'm now waiting for someone to chastise you for not adding SPOILER ALERT

For a 45 year old book

Well, after things get so old, they become new to a new generation. Hence, you can wind up in 2013 with 13 year old Pink Floyd fans. (At least teens with enough sense to realize that hip hop isn't actually music.

As far as "Spice Melange" goes, I'm an old "space folder" from way back. But in those days, it was called "Orange Sunshine".

Johnny Pappis Johnny Pappis said:

I have mild cerebral palsy, so the answer would be absolutely without a doubt it would be amazing to be able to run faster and see what kind of crazy things I would be able to accomplish with these augmentations.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

The bottom line - none of these will improve the savage human nature. I want to see the technology that will, like artificial implants - organs and such, brain amplifiers.

davislane1 davislane1 said:

How will either of these positively impact human nature?

ikesmasher said:

Death improves savage human nature, not extended life. Death 'sobers' everyone up a little bit. If people could live around a usually fatal event, humanity would just hack away at each other without much thought. (has anyone read the inheritence cycle? the soldiers that dont feel pain and will fight until decapitated or no blood left? they laughed and struck even as their legs were both gone. I think its a pretty fair example...).

2 people like this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Or, you could go to work for the government as, "The Six Million Dollar Man": In fact, they might just make TV show about your adventures in do-gooding: [link] Sadly, because today's currency is really only "virtual money", you might want to add a couple of zeroes to that number. You know, government contracts, cost overruns, inflation, and higher profit margins for private equity monopolies.. Oh, and look forward to being "Made in China". They'll probably have a black ops wing in their new Hummer factory.....:oops:

As far as inheritance from generation to generation, I think I read where technological information is passed along, but moral awareness has to be relearned. The net result is after a few centuries, what you get.....(wait for it)......, is a pack of chimpanzees armed with thermonuclear weapons. Now play nice kids....:eek:

And what the hell, while we're at it, why not add a co-processor somewhere in the middle of the fully armored chest cavity, with optical sensors all over the uniform. That way, decapitation would only be a minor setback, certainly not a reason to give up the fight....!

RmandsDC RmandsDC said:

Kids non-cyborgs being bullied at school.... Later when everyone's a cyborg, it's just cool to be 100% human, being rebel, Fking the system, video game style.

Moxiy Moxiy said:

On wearable tech id get myself an iron man suit then have it incoporated with thor-like abilities so I could be able to call lightning on guys :-)

1 person liked this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

And this from someone with a wired mouse as an avatar?

Moxiy Moxiy said:

"On wearable tech id get myself an iron man

suit then have it incoporated with thor-like

abilities so I could be able to call lightning on

guys

And this from someone with a wired mouse as

an avatar?"

what does the avatar got to do with comment??

ikesmasher said:

Its captaincranky, what do you expect?

1 person liked this | dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Even back in the Seventies I think you'll find that the private sector could have (re)built Steve Austin for a whole lot less than $6m. Studies in slow-motion running, synthesiser effects, and Styrofoam props might have required a huge amount of lead-in time and a whole raft of proposals, committee's, and sub-committees.

These days it might be more like the "The Ten Million Bitcoin Person". The test subjects picked via national audience from an online/pay TV talent show. Hardware made by Foxconn, with the software divided between Linux (cheaper option, limbs likely not to coordinate correctly, estimated time to market 37.456 years), and Windows ( "the subject has stopped working...windows is checking for a solution to the problem...Windows will close down the subject and notify you if a solution is available..." . The Apple funded project of course will be left in a bar, unresponsive due to lack of WiFi signal, and bearing an uncanny resemblance to this man.

veLa veLa said:

I'd rather just have some sort of removable body suit or set of devices that has the same functions as these said body augmentation. That way I'd have those cool abilities without having to sacrifice my humanity.

Moxiy Moxiy said:

Its captaincranky, what do you expect?

hahah now iv got it.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

On wearable tech id get myself an iron man

suit then have it incoporated with thor-like

abilities so I could be able to call lightning on

guy.

And this from someone with a wired mouse as an avatar?
what does the avatar got to do with comment??
Surely you'll concede to my point which is, "a wired mouse is the technological antithesis of the 'ironman' suit". Which I saw as an "irony", which then becomes an pun.

Anyway good luck with that. As you 'streak' though the night sky, remember me fondly. You will be able to think of yourself as 'iconic', while mere ground based life forms such as myself, will think of you as 'ironic'......(oh, and wait for it)....."Welcome to Techspot"....:p

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I knoooow! When those syths were first introduced, only a rock star could afford them. And only the biggest bands at that.

Do you think they should use the "hourglass" icons in the eyes during reboot, or the little blue-green thingys that just run around in circles?
I vote for the prototype being patterned after this man...........

With a thin, (yet supple), transparent armor of an advanced latex/polymer compound, he could ram his way into virgin markets with hair-splitting precision.....

You'd be right in standing behind him the whole way...

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

I vote for the prototype being patterned after this man...........

That man is already wearing an advanced latex/polymer compound. A necessary precaution since investors would likely have slightly less faith in the leadership if they knew MS's CEO is in all actuality the Cenobite Butterball

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Meh, could be he might have had a "Lifesyle Lift".

Either that, or those two photos could be used fraudulently as before & after pictures in a "Lifestyle Lift Infomercial".

Are you sure that's not just the 'pitcher' he keeps in his attic?:eek:

Do I need to publish a spoiler alert for, "A Portrait of Dorian Gray"?

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Are you sure that's not just the portrait in his attic?:eek:

Quite possibly, but wouldn't that imply that Steve once had a soul to trade at some point ?

Judging by his current appearance, Steve got jobbed on the deal!

Sounds like crazy talk.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Sounds like crazy talk.

Well, look who we are. But more importantly, consider where we are....*nerd*

(I edited my prior post, thought it needed a bit of double entendre) (y) (This is after all, Oscar Wilde's turf I've managed to lead us onto. Moses would be soooo proud of me. Or not).

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Well, look who we are. But more importantly, consider where we are....*nerd*

True enough. I've met most types of tech forum denizens. A fair percentage when faced with one of those crossword puzzles that allow completion as cryptic, standard, and easy, choose......to play computer games. :eek:

Sorry Matthew. Your thread deserved better.....or worse depending on your outlook.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Or perhaps mutter in wonderment, "WTF is that"!

Now I'm puzzled. Following the logic, "any publicity is good publicity"....

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Or perhaps mutter in wonderment, "WTF is that"!

...or "That's a big a$$ QR code. Why the numbers?"

...or "Hey! This monochrome Tetris is all locked up"

Maybe the augmentation that should be highest on the "must have" list is a brain implant module for literacy. The present method ( generally called education I believe) has only a limited installed userbase, so maybe a quick and effortless procedure might see it gain better traction. If the augmentation- along the lies of a manufactured (or biomech) implant was as quick as say that of the Babel fish (or the premiere of Farscape and any similar contrivance to allow the cast to speak and understand English) there is a possibility that you could actually spend more time analysing the thoughts of others than trying to comprehend what's actually intended.

Someone once told me that the human race developed as the dominant (at least non-insect) life form due to the ability to communicate intelligibly...maybe the age of the Eloi is closer than 802701 A.D.

Ranger1st Ranger1st said:

From a biophysics pov, most of the performance vector augmentations could never be a stand alone item, they would all require a massive amount of body reconstruction.. and as much as I am LOATHE to use this reference, a adamatiaum? skeletal reinforcement and serious steroid like musculature and ligament improvements just to deal with the new vectors the body can perform. Every time my character landed from 4-5 stories up I cringed at the spinal loading it would cause, ( think 15 elephants on your skull is what the SI joint would see from 4-5 stories up), to someone with just the legs augmented.. oddly the people talking about the augmented dicks could actually get away with it without any external body augmentations.. of course someone you are so fugly that you still wouldn't get laid..

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

....[ ].....oddly the people talking about the augmented dicks could actually get away with it without any external body augmentations.. of course someone you are so fugly that you still wouldn't get laid..
Every dog has its day. I'm in my 60's now, but I can assure you, I've scored more a** than the average toilet seat. My personal best was 6 different 'subjects', in the same week.....(wait for it)..... unenhanced.

BTE, how did you slide 'dicks', past the censors?

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Oh my, I think I've even managed to offend myself with that post.....:oops:

Razer said:

If deus-ex augmentations are available, then I will take:

-cloaking system, and

-icarus landing system

It's a nice idea but as a true Christian (not like those fakes who pick and chose which parts they follow) I have to say absolutely not because they are an affront to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and his sacrificial atonement and as such research into them should be stopped along with all stem cell research and the teaching of all scientific theories which do not support the bible such as evolution, gravity, germ theory, the heliocentric model, general relativity, big bang cosmology, climate change, plate tectonics etc etc.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

The human body was never designed for the current first-world civilisation: cars, sitting in office chairs all day looking at screens, etc.

So, I'll gladly take some robo-eyes and titanium teeth, amongst others.

Hell no. They can't even make a good toilet seat nevermind "Deus Ex like augmentations".

If everything was not made for profit and there was a degree of quality - but not like that is going to change any time soon.

Money money money money . . .

Acespaces Acespaces said:

Easily wait till the guinea pig age is over (25 years or so, I'm young I have the time to do that). Hastily and excitedly I'd than go for Optical, smelling, and listening enhancements. Brain Amplifiers and etc. Not sure if I would go for body/muscle enhancers.