Weekend Open Forum: Does Grand Theft Auto V live up to the hype for you personally?

By on October 4, 2013, 6:00 PM
open forum, gta, weekend open forum, rockstar, grand theft auto v, gta v

I have always had a love-hate relationship with the Grand Theft Auto franchise, on one hand the beautiful open world and sense of freedom has always intrigued me--on the other its the game that always failed to live up to my expectations. The stiff character control, boring side missions and what always felt like extremely dated shooting/melee mechanics, have always kept me from latching on to the series.

With so much hype behind GTA V, I had high hopes that it would be the Grand Theft Auto game to really win me over, and so far it has. With about 65% of the story mode completed (I haven't delved into GTA Online just yet), I have to say I'm thoroughly impressed, and am finding it much easier to get into. The greatly improved shooting mechanics, along with the lack of boring courier type missions are major factors for me, not to mention a greater focus on the stand-out, main missions. Sure the character movement and control is still a little sluggish feeling to me for some reason, but I guess Rockstar gets a pass like it always has, right?

For this week's open forum, we're wondering what your thoughts on Rockstar's latest offering are and how you feel about the progression of the series as whole. With so much anticipation from the gaming community and well over $1 billion in sales, does GTA V have what it takes to live up to your expectations?

Staff
Shawn Knight Shawn Knight said:

I've only had the opportunity to play the game for an hour or two, but thus far I really enjoy it. I'm not the type to play a game for the storyline. Instead, I simply love exploring a massive map at my own pace and getting into whatever happens along the way. From what I've experienced thus far, this game is absolutely perfect for that and I'm looking forward to playing more real soon.

TitoBXNY TitoBXNY said:

Absolutely. I think this is the best GTA up to this point. I love the characters although short, the game lives up to the hype. This may be just me, but the soundtrack wasn't as strong as earlier titles. I miss San Juan sounds, but other than that, it's perfect. Online, here we come.

1 person liked this | t3chn0vamp said:

I haven't had the chance to play it yet as I am a PC gamer and its not released on PC yet, but as I have read on many forums and watched numerous Gameplay Videos, I can say that its the best release in GTA franchise. I also hope Rockstar will release the PC version soon.

Acespaces Acespaces said:

Games good but at some points I'm lost and have no idea whats going on no matter how much I concentrate.

2 people like this | mccartercar said:

The story has me enthralled along with the characters, sans Franklin. I'm a bit disappointed at some of the smaller details such as not being able to reattach boats to trailers, load cars onto car haulers,transports, or something as small as going inside the camper or rv. I know these are nitpicks but are some of the things I was excited about from SA. Also, why the hell can't I upgrade my wrecker or any vehicle that I see fit to give monster horsepower and big gold wheels? The PC version can't come soon enough and we can fix everything with mods.

1 person liked this | mccartercar said:

Also cars always despawn when I'm trying to do fun things with more than one at a time. Stupid hardware limitations.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I was very impressed with the game when I played it and would say it satisfied my hype. I did also feel the sluggishness of the controls at first but you get used to that. Found the main game very fun to play, every mission seemed to have you do something new and special. All in all I think Rockstar deserve all the credit they get for this one.

With online: I had some troubles with the system like everyone for the first few days...and the dreaded deleted character. But now it seems to be alright and I'm really enjoying it I must say.

Met some cool people in online so far and had tons of fun.

NeurotechHD NeurotechHD said:

Met some cool people in online so far and had tons of fun.

Does GTAO support voice chat?

davislane1 davislane1 said:

Met some cool people in online so far and had tons of fun.

Does GTAO support voice chat?

Only through Yahoo Messenger...

je29836 said:

I'm not a fan of GTA5 but I loved GTA4 and Vice City. GTA5 is filled with loud, obnoxious, fat and annoying characters and the dialogue is overly littered with expletives to somehow try to make up for the lack of a clever script. Previous protagonists like Nico and Tommy had charm but the three in GTA5 are just vile losers who are not relatable at all. People should stop kissing Rockstar's ass because they made great games in the past and start realizing this game is just a rehash of GTA4 with a corny character switching gimmick, shitty radio stations and a supporting cast that is so stupid and offensive I had to mute the volume just to make it through their cutscenes. Hopefully next time Rockstar will realize creating a story with substance is more valuable in the long run than appeasing their grubby executives and shareholders with garbage like this.

Gta5 is kinda special. It lets me play characters of low life scum you would never associate with in real life and call it fun.

BMfan BMfan said:

grubby executives and shareholders with garbage like this.

Yeah,I'm sure their shareholders are really unhappy with this 'garbage',as you put it.

Yes,for me it lives up to the hype.

I really am enjoying the single play.haven't tried online and I'm not sure when I would.

The only thing I wished that stayed from the older game(GTA San Andreas) was the map,I really prefered that one over this map but I also know that if it was the same people would complain and say

they changed nothing.

I've been playing it while taking care of my 4 year old daughter. Due to all the swearing I have had to turn off the dialog. I have enabled subtitles, but it is still very hard to follow, especially when you're driving high speed and have to take focus off the road to read. I completed the main story line pretty quickly, and while I didn't follow the story that well, I enjoyed it.

I can't speak about GTA Online as I didn't get a chance to play it. I bought a PS3/GTA5 bundle on game release, and I had 14 days to return it. I'm a PC gamer, but I'm fed up with waiting over a year to play a game that is rightfully a PC game. I'll buy my permanent copy once it releases on PC. At least I played 2 weeks straight and got my fill for now.

killeriii said:

Yes, best GTA yet

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

So basically, GTA5 is a reality TV show with vehicles?

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

It's great, though I only get to play it for a couple of hours in PS3 from a friend of mine. Still got my fingers crossed for a PC version

TheDreams TheDreams said:

I think the graphics are really nice, check out this time lapse made entirely in GTA here.

Hankhendrix Hankhendrix said:

I like the people who pick out the smallest insignificant details, and then down rate that shit.

Game is amazing. The ability to escape on foot makes me tingle.

cmbjive said:

Eh, I haven't really gotten into the story, but I do enjoy the minigames. Last night I completed a thirty minute triathlon with Franklin and love playing tennis with Michael. Maybe I'll get back to the story, but mostly I've been playing Diablo III on the 360.