Winamp lives on past shutdown date as talk of Microsoft acquisition heats up

By on December 23, 2013, 2:00 PM

Winamp was supposed to shut down late last week but surprisingly enough, the company’s website is still alive and the desktop application remains available. Did someone simply forget to take the site / app down or is something else going on behind the scenes?

According to Eddy Richman from the Winamp team, the latter scenario seems most likely.

When probed by the guys from Neowin via Twitter, Richman said he couldn’t comment on the matter right now but something was obviously happening behind the scenes. He said he would tweet any news updates via the @winamp account when / if something develops, however.

The deal that Richman was speaking of could be what TechCrunch spoke of days before the planned closure. In that report, the publication claimed AOL was finalizing negotiations to sell Winamp and Shoutcast. A similar report from the previous month said Microsoft was the suitor although the most recent update didn’t name a buyer.

The deal is far enough along that the source was confident that an agreement would be reached. Naturally, a spokesperson for AOL declined to comment on the matter.

Winamp hit the scene in the late 1990s and quickly became one of the most popular applications for listening to music on the desktop. Popularity waned over the years, however, as streaming services like Rhapsody, Pandora and Spotify are now all the rage. But for a select few, the app still holds a nostalgic appeal and continues to be the go-to player for local music playback.

2 people like this | psycros psycros said:

Winamp's superior smart playlists, modest resource usage and overall customization potential have yet to be equaled. Its always been more a labor of love than profit, which thankfully means Winamp has few artificial limitations.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

When I heard that WinAmp was closing I rushed out and downloaded a copy. I don't often listen to local music (music on my hard drive) these days, but when I do, I prefer the older WinAmp to do the job for me. I was playing around with the new WinAmp recently and never got the file sync to my Android working. Maybe that's something which Microsoft can help clean up?

1 person liked this | Littleczr Littleczr said:

Winamp has been playing my music since the Notorious B.I.G days.

Never mind Microsoft, the friendly folks at the Winamp Forums can help you with that right now.

BlackMoonWolf BlackMoonWolf said:

I certainly wouldn't say that Winamp's resource usage was "modest". At least not after they started developing the 5.x series.

I personally felt like Winamp 5.x was terrible. It was overly-complicated. The interface was definitely far too busy and inflexible where user reconfiguration was concerned. Winamp 5.x was also a huge memory hog. (Relatively speaking, of course.) For what it was; it should NEVER have taken so much memory or CPU time. Back in the days when it first came out, it's memory usage was often detrimental to stability on a busy system.

I tried it. I switched back to Winamp v2.91. It was excellent again.

Now? I use AIMP 3. It's developed by some guy in Russia. But it's reminiscent of Winamp 2.91 with it's interface...and there is a great deal more under the hood. It's a great music player. It even has tabbed playlists and some really nice themes. Plus it is in constant development.

Winamp was great in it's day. It had it's day then saw it's own decline as other, better audio software came out. I personally won't miss it a whole terrible lot. They just failed to innovate quickly enough to keep up is all.

BlackMoonWolf BlackMoonWolf said:

Try AIMP 3 as a replacement. (www.aimp2.us) With AIMP 3, you will not lament Winamp's demise (if it actually happens) for long. It's simplicity and usability and core features put Winamp's current offerings to shame.

Puiu Puiu said:

Still my go to music player (along potplayer for video). although I like using the classic 2.x skin ^_^

JC713 JC713 said:

The WinAMP software was a game changer back then. RIP.