Snowden confirms new information on NSA foreign industrial espionage operations

By on January 27, 2014, 3:30 PM
nsa, siemens, snowden, industrial espionage, mercedes benz

After Edward Snowden gave a Q&A session last week via Twitter, the former NSA contractor has now made comments regarding the agency spying on foreign corporations in order for the US to gain economic advantages. The US government has vehemently denied this kind of industrial espionage several times in the past, but a recent interview with Snowden suggests otherwise.

Snowden said the US government's spy tactics also stretch out to corporations in an interview with a German television network. The NSA conducts industrial information snagging operations that contribute to national interest, not just national security, according to Snowden. When asked if the NSA was spying on foreign corporations, names like Mercedes Benz and Siemens came up. Snowden said "If there's information at Siemens that's beneficial to U.S. national interests - even if it doesn't have anything to do with national security - then they'll take that information nevertheless."

This kind of economic spying could have a detrimental effect on US foreign relations if it were to end up as being true. The NSA has been accused of similar activity in the past when allegations surfaced that it was spying on a Brazilian oil company, but there was nothing conclusively proven. These kinds of operations are something other countries have been accused of in the past as well. Chinese agencies have been reported to have attempted to hack information out of more than 700 companies including Blackberry.

Beyond that, Snowden said to the German network that he has no further physical evidence regarding NSA activity in his possession, and that select journalists now have everything.

(Image via AP/Patrick Semansky)

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

"We're sorry, but the page you requested could not be found"

Why the broken links all of a sudden? Time to roam the site looking for the correct link. Two links yesterday and now this one.

Edit:

I don't see it anywhere. And a search for "Snowden confirms" didn't bring anything up.

Now it is time to move on and find the next TS broken link publication.

IKROWNI said:

"We're sorry, but the page you requested could not be found"

Edit:

Now it is time to move on and find the next TS broken link publication.

I've seen links go down on hot topics like this before so I know what your talking about. But the links are all working for me. Check your ad blockers if you have any.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Link is working now.

Next time I will post the actual link. Then when the link starts working, we can compare if it is the same link.

mailpup mailpup said:

There have been software glitches introduced with some of the recent improvements/enhancements of the website. I don't pretend to know exactly what they are but they are aware of it.

I recommend that you post each problem you find in the Site Feedback and Suggestions forum. Messages left here may or may not be seen by the Administrator or developers in a timely manner. Granted, there is no time guarantee in that forum either but they are less likely to be overlooked amid dozens of other comments among several articles.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

At the moment I was still questioning it being a local issue. And possibly reaching out to see, if others were experiencing the same. If I knew for sure it wasn't on my end, I probably would post site feedback. I would seem I am the only one experiencing the issue. I've mentioned it in three threads, and no one else has confirmed having the same experience.

Nobody wants to talk about Snowden anymore anyway do we? lol

2 people like this | psycros psycros said:

I have no doubt that US intelligence engages in the same kinds of economic sabotage as China and other nations do, but its undoubtedly to a much smaller extent. Believe it or not, one of the few areas where there is legitimate oversight of America's spying is in regards to how much influence third parties - particularly commercial interests - have over data gathering policies. Unfortunately the safeguards are being systematically dismantled by the totalitarians currently vying for absolute power in Washington. They all want to make the intelligence apparatus a weapon against their political opposition. And where is the watchdog media that still can't stop babbling on about Woodward and Bernstein? Where are the investigations into executive orders that ignore the Constitution and a hundred years of legal precedent? The silence is deafening.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

<< gives a shout out to @psycros!

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I reported something along these lines yesterday. I think Julio fixed the problem already. You can see Julio's response here: [link]

A broken link which was collateral to the problem I was reporting, began to work after Julio said he fixed it.

I'm not religious, but thank God for Snowden. We need to fix America.

1 person liked this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I'm not religious, but thank God for Snowden. We need to fix America.
Since you're not religious, you should either not thank,"God", or pray to Snowden..

Snowden has been nominated for the Nobel!

Renrew Renrew said:

Perhaps the Nobel committee is seeking some semblance of credibility after awarding Obama the peace prize.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The only thing that makes them a candidate over a more deserving crowd is popularity. The award should be titled a popularity award for nobility and piece.