Weekend Open Forum: What's your favorite mobile messaging app?

By on February 14, 2014, 6:45 PM
messaging, imessage, bbm, hangouts, whatsapp, viber, line, mobile messaging, telegram, wechat, kakaotalk

Mobile chat and photo sharing apps have seen tremendous growth in the last few years and they’re expected to continue this trend throughout 2014. In fact, surveys indicate that people -- and particularly the important teenager demographic -- are becoming less active on social networks and more active on messaging apps. No wonder Viber was just acquired for $900 million and Facebook tried to buy Snapchat for a cool $3 billion.

Even though overall WhatsApp has taken the lead for monthly active users, the mobile messaging app landscape continues to be highly fragmented, with different services doing well in different global regions.

In this week's open forum we want to know:

Pick up to three options and comment below on why you prefer one service or the other.

I’m mostly a WhatsApp user as pretty much all of my contacts are there and can’t be bothered to try alternatives. I also use iMessage and ocassionaly FB Messenger for people who aren’t on my address book. I’ve tried Line (too bloated for my taste), MessageMe (got messages from random strangers), Hangouts (meh), and Viber (okay but few of my contacts use it). Now I’m trying Telegram which seems more focused on security, has an open API and desktop clients, but only three of my contacts have it and one is married to me.

TheBigFatClown said:

Favorite messaging app? LOL. I didn't know it had a name. I just hit the smiley face icon and send the messages. I guess I could care less. Mobile phones are only to be used when there is no desktop within a 10-mile radius.

1 person liked this | davislane1 davislane1 said:

I typically use face-to-face. Many of my peers find the entire platform dated, but I like being able to smack people who disagree with me. Most other apps don't have that feature for reasons of liability.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Kik

Imessage, love that it a 7 min video is considered a text message even went sent outside the country!

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

You're missing a category in your poll - I don't message.

And that would be me.

bob333 bob333 said:

I am using GO SMS Pro!

1 person liked this | Guest said:

tomsea:

You're missing a category in your poll - I don't message.

do you still use smoke signal? ;)

I seldom use other messaging apps but if I use one, I use viber.

1 person liked this | hellokitty[hk] hellokitty[hk], I'm a TechSpot Evangelist, said:

Would someone like to convince me how these are superior to normal SMS texting?

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

SMS, 'nuff said.

BMfan BMfan said:

The stock SMS one.

It might cost a little bit more to use but it gets the job done.

dikbozo said:

I go rea;ll old school, pencil and paper with snail mail. Can't beat it for things like being impervious to internet snooping, battery running low, 40 below or 140 above (go ahead try to use your device in those extremes). I find that this way you think 3 or 4 times before sending anything and re-reading anything you do actually commit to writing. I would rather talk face to face,(not via Skype or something)than write and these both well before any texting type thing. Too many things get sent that are misunderstood and many times you get no chance to correct.

psycros psycros said:

Email. No extra cost, unlimited length and formatting, everyone has an address and their device will always support it.

dikzobo:

Can't beat it for things like being impervious to internet snooping,

but what if the mailman is the one snooping (or your wife/husband/neighbor)? almost everything is not safe when someone is determined to know and extract information.

1 person liked this | Nobina Nobina said:

SMS app I got with my phone does the job, clean and simple.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I think I've said this before, why reinvent the wheel when your phone comes with one out of the box that works more than adequately for my needs. Must be a generational thing, the need to over complicate the uncomplicated.

dikbozo said:

dikzobo:

Can't beat it for things like being impervious to internet snooping,

Please note I wrote "impervious to 'INTERNET' snooping". the written matter would have top be digitized first and then it is no longer pencil and paper. A fine point but try to remember the focus here.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

Disabled stock Messaging and use Hangouts for SMS.

JC713 JC713 said:

Hangouts is pretty dope.

Raoul Duke Raoul Duke said:

I don't message either. I don't even own a cell phone.

Because chat apps are free to use whereas SMS cost an arm and a leg for many people.

Nobina Nobina said:

For chat apps you need internet and data connection is much more expensive than SMS, except if you have wireless everywhere you go which you probably don't.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

I'm on SMS still. I'm not a phone-***** so I don't really do lots of messages to begin with, but it's either SMS or Hangouts. But, since no one is on G+ no one is on Hangouts either .... even though it's an easy permanent login.

FB Messenger is not an option since the devs can't get it working on Nexus devices still.

But it's even more expensive to pay for SMS on top of data connection since SMS are not included in data plans and always are charged separately.

It makes no sense to pay more for SMS plan when you can send text messages via chap apps on internet connection that you've already paid for.

1 person liked this | waqasr said:

, post: 1382140, member: 169488"]Would someone like to convince me how these are superior to normal SMS texting?

This list is not exhaustive by any means

1. Unlimited free texting to domestic and international users which is the single most important reason

for people who have friends/families in different regions of the world.

2. These apps show when the text is sent, received and seen/read by other party.

3. You can send video/pictures of much bigger size.

4. Voice messages

5. Voice chatting.

6. Proper Group chatting.

7. You maybe use the app from your desktop/Laptop as well.

8. Video chatting.

9. Did I mention free???

waqasr said:

My personal Favorite is Viber, It has most options as compare to others.

Voice chat, App for desktop/Laptop just to name a few.

I use hangouts, WhatsApp and skype as well.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

If you have wi-fi, they're free. In other words, no carrier charges.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I used to use carrier pigeons until I discovered WhatsApp. I like Viber as well but only 3 people in my contacts book have it installed.

jason lee jason lee said:

Because whatsapp does not support ipad (tablet?) devices, it's use will never reach full potential.

Nobina Nobina said:

You don't have to pay SMS on top of data connection, just pay for SMS. I don't know about you, but in my case, SMS is cheaper and everyone uses it, while Whatsapp is only used by a couple of my friends and they barely use it at all cause data connection is expensive and runs out pretty fast.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

SMS has two things mobile IM doesn't: interoperability and ubiquity.

SMS is on essentially every cell phone. Mobile IM clients, not so much. If I want to send an sms to a friend, it doesn't matter what handset they have or what software they've installed, I don't need to know what carrier they use, I don't need to know any of that. I send it to their cell number and they get it.

SMS has two things mobile IM doesn't: interoperability and ubiquity.

But consider the price of SMS. The last time I did a back of an envelope calculation it costs over 750 bucks per MEGA BYTE for SMS.

This is just obscene! After all, SMS is still just data.

I'd be very interested to hear how this cost can be justified.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

SMS is not just standard browsing data in regards to how the Telco's actually send it.