GPU Battle at $150: GeForce GTX 750 Ti vs. Radeon R7 265

By on February 18, 2014, 8:00 AM

Marking the introduction of its Maxwell architecture, Nvidia has targeted AMD's $150 Radeon R7 265 with the new GeForce GTX 750 Ti, a card that promises to be more than another rebadge. The GTX 750 Ti's GM107 is meant to make Nvidia's 28nm design process as efficient as possible by splitting Kepler's 192-core streaming multiprocessor into four blocks with each block featuring its own control logic.

With fewer cores being used to get more performance, Maxwell naturally consumes less power and improves Kepler's performance per watt. Maxwell brings other improvements as well, but that boost alone suggests that AMD's Radeon R7 265 could be in trouble at today's pricing considering it's essentially a slightly overclocked and steeply discounted HD 7850.

However, we can't forget that it hasn't even been two years since the HD 7850 was the best mainstream value going, so we have high hopes for the R7 265 at its reduced price point.

Read the complete review.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Thanks for the review, it's nice to see low and midrange cards get some love too. =)

Forg0t2 said:

These kind of cards rock when building a small computer,...

theBest11778 theBest11778 said:

Was really hoping this would match the R7 265 in performance with this kind of power consumption. That's the card I want in my next SFF build. We'll probably have to wait for a smaller process for this.

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Even though the R7 265 smokes it, the key here is the power consumption and the first taste of maxwell. Its got some nice power consumption per watt and its a significant improvement over the kepler architecture. I would still prefer to have the best performance per dollar especially in this range where every FPS difference counts, but its a nice appetizer while we wait on the main course and gives us a good introduction to the next gen cards!

Great review!

JC713 JC713 said:

Nice review. I think we need to wait for more mature drivers before we can reach a conclusion with the 750 Ti. Nice job AMD!

I like this new trend of affordable gaming. Good to see there is some good competition at this price target...

Can mine as fast as the Radeon 7850 with only 1/3 the power!

[link]

I have a feeling these will be hot commodities that will be expensive and difficult to find soon as miners will be buying them up.

This is a godsend to me because I am running an old x51 with a 240W power supply (correct me if I'm wrong). Even though they recommend 300W I think I can get it working as my current card has a TDP of 105W and this is much much better. It's a great solution for us x51 owners that don't want to drop the money to buy a bigger external supply and are really just interested in running 1080p at normal/high settings.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

There are plenty of AIB custom OC 750 Ti's able to match the 265 ( [link] and the EVGA SuperClocked with similar ability is the same price as the reference card - $150 ).

Price/Performance is disappointing. I expected this to replace 650 Ti Boost, which had great value, but it wasn't meant to be.

Can mine as fast as the Radeon 7850 with only 1/3 the power!

[link]

I hate this mining thing. People who actually want the cards for gaming are getting screwed because the prices are all completely insane due to "miners" are buying up all the cards.

Supply and demand. Ultimately this is good for AMD/Radeon and gamers alike; AMD has been somewhat struggling lately, and this new emergence in the market will encourage them to continue working on more powerful GPUs rather than focusing all their efforts on unproven APUs.

Litecoin is something different. Many 290X owners who have bought 4 already paid for the electricity and system after only 1 month!

So yes $1600 a month for such a system is a nice continual investment that will only go up as the value increases. However this one wont have that kind of power as 4 of the 290x though LOL. But maybe an option if you do not have cash and want to make some extra income

With a G-Sync capable monitor, the GTX 750 Ti will actually provide the smoother experience, especially in frame rates between 30 and 60. For everyone else, though, the AMD card is the better buy, assuming it'll be available at these prices.

I have to admit, this is a pretty impressive offering from Nvidia in terms of gpu efficiency. Tests roughly 15-30% better framerates across most games than the 650Ti, and uses about 10% less power in the process.

Now, the price point isn't exactly flawless (seeing as I bought a 7870 for about $200 ~1.5 years ago which has a pretty good leg up performance wise), but with cryptocurrency miners driving prices up, it's not at all a bad offering for the low-midrange segment.

1 person liked this | GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

If your buying a 400+ dollar monitor why would you buy a 150 dollar GPU...

1 person liked this | Railman said:

At the moment any talk of price/performance is academic. Currently I can order a 750 Ti but the R7 265 has yet to appear.It is possible the 265 may be more expensive than expected.

I am very tempted to get the 750 Ti as it is the best performing card for my current PSU.

Josephine Josephine said:

I am really gad that Nvidia is developing this segment! But I agree with dividebyzero: there are better alternatives for this price. I would rather get the AMD Radeon R7 265 than the Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti.

Railman said:

The 750 Ti is on sale now but I think you may have difficulty getting a R7 265. Until they are both on sale value comparisons are pointless.

1 person liked this | dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

The 750 Ti is getting some publicity for its own mining ability (albeit at the low end of the scale in absolute production) (via PC Perspective), so maybe street price might end up as fluid as some AMD cards

Pity there aren't any low power cheap Intel E5-2600's. Eleven 750 Ti's plugged into a Supermicro X9DRX+-F would make a compact mining rig :eek:

Railman said:

I doubt that there will be a shortage of the 750 Ti cards as I suspect they will be manufactured in larger quantities as mid range cards normally outsell their more expensive high end cousins.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Nvidia have a large percentage of wafer starts at TSMC in any case. The 750's bill of materials (BoM) looks pretty low for the barebone versions of the card ( rudimentary heatsink, last generation vRAM, small/simple PCB with basic VRM fit-out). I was thinking of smaller distribution area's that tend to be at the whim of larger distro's. Locally we are limited to EVGA, Asus, and Gigabyte 750/750 Ti's.

Railman said:

Interesting info but I was unclear what affect it would have on price or availability. By the way other manufacturers selling 750 Ti cards include Palit, MSI and Zotac.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

The smaller markets get the same brands ( as well as the other 750 Ti vendors - Gainward (Palit), Galaxy/KFA2, Colorful, PNY), but large OEM orders and high demand in the Chinese market causes shortfalls in other geographic distribution areas.

OEM's generally get preferential treatment - especially for large orders stemming from cards that can run in an entry level sub-300W prebuilt. So whilst the GPUs coming out of the foundry might be prodigious, so might the demand. Supply in my country is already constrained from companies with strong OEM ties (PC Partner's Zotac for example).

Shouldnt these "miners" have to ask their parents permission before buying something as expensive as this? .. after all its not just some in-game ammo for candy crush saga is it?

Disappointing all round .. prices too high.. great on the power supping-ness .. this should be a priority for all gfx card designers.

Await r5-250 competitor that can fit in N54l (150w PS eek!)

Philip Booth Philip Booth said:

It's just amazing, I guess everyone should buy the computer which accepts the card.