8.5GB DVD+R discs next year

By on November 3, 2003, 7:30 PM
Expect double-layer, almost double-capacity DVD+R drives and media to hit the stores next April, members of the DVD+RW alliance say. The technology, co-developed by drive maker Philips, and media specialists Verbatim and Mitsubishi Kagaku, adds a second recording layer to a standard-thickness DVD+R disc, taking the medium's capacity from 4.7GB to 8.5GB.

That's enough for four hours of DVD-quality material, 16 hours of VHS-quality content or two hours' archive footage. The discs are playback-compatible with existing DVD players and DVD-ROM drives.

Read more: [URL=http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/33733.html]The Register[/URL].

Mictlantecuhtli said:
This is getting interesting.. One of the main reasons recordable DVDs are now 4.7 GB is that it prevents copying DVD-9 discs (ie. movies on double-layer discs). Apparently they've noticed capacity is needed for other things, too, even *gasp* legal things! 8)And I just bought a recordable DVD drive... :rolleyes:Well if I would have waited 'til spring, who knows what would have been coming after that.
---agissi--- said:
Looks like I'll be waiting 'til after XMAS to get my DVD burner.. this double layer stuff will come in handy later on down the road.
Phantasm66 said:
I take it you need a new-style 8.5GB drive to use these disks, or do they work in existing DVD+-RW drives?
Mictlantecuhtli said:
[quote]Officially, the Alliance says DVD+R DL hardware and media will ship during "the course of 2004", but privately a number of member companies said they are "hoping" for an April 2004 introduction.[/quote]
Phantasm66 said:
The key phrase being "hardware and media" - surely yeah you need a DL drive and media, not just enhanced media...
---agissi--- said:
so do you need a completly new burner to burn these new double data disks? (sounds like DDR but DDD :blush: )
poertner_1274 said:
SNGX1275 said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by poertner_1274 [/i]Well whichever way it works out I sold 2 DVD burners today becase I told the guys they were coming out with 8gig media next year. They were pretty excited. I'm just glad I told them my name was Javier. If something happens I don't have to worry about it. [/quote] LOL Ladies and Gentlemen meet your friendly neighborhood Circuit City salesman.
poertner_1274 said:
You are gosh darn straight. Gotta put my technical degree to use somehow since nobody will hire me :)Anyone wanna buy a computer?