Microsoft to offer a bounty on the head of virus writers

By Derek Sooman on November 5, 2003, 9:38 AM
Another great post from Slashdot.org:

[COLOR=royalblue]"Microsoft will announce a bounty of $250,000 on Wednesday for information on who wrote two recent Windows viruses. The bounty is offered for information that leads to the arrest of the people who released the MSBlast worm and the SoBig virus. Microsoft will officially announce the reward in a joint press conference with the FBI and U.S. Secret Service Wednesday morning. This is the first time a company has offered money for information about the identity of the cybercriminals. Could this be the start of a new trend in going after the writers of viruses & worms?" [/COLOR]

Script-Kiddie: "Dude! You turned me in to... to... Microsoft!?! That's cold!"

Former Friend of Script-Kiddie: "Sorry, man, tuition at MIT is a real bitch, yo."

S.K.: "MIT? What choo talking 'bout, MIT? You go to Westchester Community College!"

F.F.o.S.K.: "That was before I got this here letter of recommendation from my new sponsor, William H. Gates III. Hey, whaddya think of these new Birkenstocks? Too gay? I kinda think they set off my eyes pretty well, yo..."

S.K.: "Dooooooood....!" (As two big guys in MS-branded butterfly suits drag him into back of van)

F.F.o.S.K.: "Hey, look me up when you get out, man. By then I should be setting myself up in my own company and will be able to use a guy with your leet skills."

More here.

poertner_1274 said:
That is kind of funny Phantasm....the dialogue anyway. I think it's about time things were done to apprehend and stop all this crap that has been going on as of late. I hope something turns up from this, and I just wish I knew who did it :haha:
Phantasm66 said:
There's more on this story here : [url]http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/33792.html[/url
---agissi--- said:
hey poet, remember that pic i posted that was "inapproate" for the site.. you said TS is a 'family' site, so any person of any age can come here. So why are there such words as b****? jwaside from all that jargon^^ its an intresting post :)
Sprelligosi said:
it was me ....... think ms will give me the money if i turn myself in?
Phantasm66 said:
Hehehe I think I'd sell out my script kiddie pal for a place at MIT ;)
XtR-X said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Phantasm66 [/i][b]S.K.:[/b] "Dooooooood....!" (As two big guys in MS-branded butterfly suits drag him into back of van)[/quote] ROFL! Lol!!!! That made my day.
Phantasm66 said:
Yeah, that's the best bit!
acidosmosis said:
Phantasm66 said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by acidosmosis [/i]Bounty.. hmm.. Phant has been watching too much Star Wars :-P.[/quote] [i]"There will be a substantial reward for the one who finds 'The Virus Writer.' You are free to use whatever methods necessary, but I want them alive. No litigations.""As you wish..."[/i][img]http://www.starwars.jp/character/image/boba
fett_2.jpg[/img]
XtR-X said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by acidosmosis [/i]Bounty.. hmm.. Phant has been watching too much Star Wars :-P.If I knew who it was the first thing I would do is torture the sorry little loser, THEN turn him in for the cash. That way I get the enjoyment of hearing him beg for mercy and his life first. [/quote] Lol, then we all hear you, begging to get out of jail, and that you wanna live without having to drop the soap....:D ;) 8)Lol, J/K. But would you really want to torture that guy, and have him tell all about what you did for him? Did you even get the virus? Maybe if you did, I would understand.
acidosmosis said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Phantasm66 [/i][i]"There will be a substantial reward for the one who finds 'The Virus Writer.' You are free to use whatever methods necessary, but I want them alive. No litigations.""As you wish..."[/i] [/quote] ROFL!
StormBringer said:
The constant banging on my firewall by infected machines is enough to justify the harshest punishment you imagine. Though I would settle for his head on a stick to serve as a warning. Be glad I was not actually infected, else I might have been unreasonable about it.
Phantasm66 said:
[img]http://lucien.blight.com/~scarlett/images/jabba.jpg[/img
[i]"If you write any more of those damn viruses, I'll put a bounty on your head so large every spotty-faced-social-misfit-C++-fanatic on the internet will be after you!"[/i][quote]cantina thug: "i have the death sentence in 12 systems"virus writer: "ah, but microsoft is offering a US $250,000 bounty for me!"cantina thug: "..."virus writer: "and i shut down millions of PCs on my home planet!"cantina thug: "..."virus writer: "and in a little while, i'll finally be able to move out of my parents' basement!"cantina thug: "that does it."[blaster fire]ed [/quote]From [url=http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/03/11/05/0419205.shtml?tid=
09&tid=126&tid=172&tid=187&tid=98&tid=99]here[/url].
poertner_1274 said:
LoL, this keeps getting better and better.I agree with you SB 100%, if I got infected I would feel quite a bit worse about this whole thing, but I didn't.