Microsoft moves into chip world

By on November 10, 2003, 12:49 PM
There's a multibillion dollar company moving into the chip business: Microsoft.

According to sources, the Redmond, Wash.-based software giant will more actively participate in the design of the brains for the next version of its Xbox gaming console, tentatively called Xbox Next. By switching from using relatively standard parts to more customized silicon, the company can better optimize its game console, due in 2005. At the same time, the move potentially gives the company a toehold in a completely new market.

Read more: [URL=http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-5104656.html?tag=nefd_lede]CNet News[/URL].

poertner_1274 said:
I know it's only a matter of time before M$ goes into the fast food business, and the retail business, and anything else. This is just incredible. I thought there was a law against monopolies.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
I'm not against companies that have a lot of different markets - for example, do you know how big [url=http://www.lg.co.kr/english/index.jsp]LG[/url] is? Check the drop-down list on the left to get the idea.However, what I'm against are companies that don't allow any competition.
---agissi--- said:
StormBringer said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by ---agissi--- [/i]I recon thats their good luck if no one wants to compete with them (how would they not allow any competiton?? anyone can go up against 'em) [/quote] Have you been in a cave for the last decade?
Didou said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by ---agissi--- [/i]I recon thats their good luck if no one wants to compete with them (how would they not allow any competiton?? anyone can go up against 'em) [/quote]Your views on the matter are simplistic to say the least.;)Take the time to read [url=http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/IhateMS.html]this page[/url]. Don't go thinking everything said in it is true, but it does make many good points.:blackeye:
MoRulez said:
MS is simply playing a larger role in the creation of their chips for the next Xbox. Its not like they plan to start making PC chips; just MORE customization for their xbox. It's probably just to ensure that the next xbox doesn't become a cheap PC, like the current one is with "hackers" manipulating the console for Linux etc. So it's just a security measure, which reminds me of Longhorn's chip security....I must add that MS is beginning to expand more into hardware than ever before (i think). My neighbours just bought a MS Router. First time I've heard of a MS router or network product like this
---agissi--- said:
My view is simplistic, and I dont see why it shouldnt be..Didou, I'd read that link if the page was 100pages in length.