Athlon 64 3000+ in stores already

By on December 14, 2003, 4:21 PM
Our beloved sponsor NewEgg.com happens to be one the first stores to have AMD's Athlon 64 3000+ up for sale, at $215.00 this CPU cost is almost half of that from the 3200+, although I'm still not too clear on those MHz settings.

[center][IMG]http://www.techspot.com/newspics/12-athlon.jpg[/IMG][/center]

Model: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Core: ClawHammer
Operating Frequency: 2.0GHz
FSB: Integrated into Chip
Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/1MB
Voltage: 1.5V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket 754

Vehementi said:
Hmm, come to think of it, I dunno if I would have rather bought this P4 2.6C or that. Of course I'd have to sacrifice in terms of memory and system board, because this is $45 more than the P4 I bought, but still, it makes me think maybe I should have waited...:(I do like the inclusion of a heat spreader on AMD's new CPUs. About damn time! ;) Being the ***** that I was (am :rolleyes: ) I lost a shiny new Athlon XP 1900+ due to improper heatsink installation a while ago.
werty316 said:
Sweet first the annoucement of SE ATI cards nad now this. Gonna need some summer $ for an upgrade.
vassil3427 said:
Oh I want one....What really gets me is the 1mb L2 cache....me wants..me wants....
---agissi--- said:
Sweet thats cool.. I'll let my 2100+ last me until the 5000+ though :)
Tarkus said:
There are just so many things wrong with the 754 pin implementation of the AMD 64 bit CPUs that I don't think I'd ever buy one. I'd prefer an Athlon FX or Opteron once they get reasonable in price and AMD settles down on the possible configurations. AMD seems to be going in 600 different directions at once with their 64 bit line.
Tarkus said:
Oh, and if you look at the part number on that chip, it may be a 512 KB cache version of the chip.
BrownPaper said:
i wonder why the 3000+ version is so much cheaper than the 3200+ version. is there something about the 3000+ we don't know that makes it less expensive?
Per Hansson said:
Komplett Sweden is listing the product as a 512kb part... So I guess newegg got it wrong...Since this must be the reason for the reduced price...[url]http://www.komplett.se/k/kl.asp?AvdID=1&CatID=4
GrpID=14&t=2108&l=2[/url]
Inimbrium said:
I'm a gamer, and an overclocker (when the central heating is off), so I want a resonably cheap processor that is powerful.Although the Athlon 64 is good, the P4 is still better, for games.The only Athlon CPUs that are good are either the really cheap value ones, on sheer low price, or the Athlon 64 FX 51 (the really expensive one) which can be overlcocked and made very fast indeed.Otherwise, P4 leads the way IMO.
bibbit said:
Newegg has fixed the error, at least for the RETAIL version. Now shows 512K L2.[URL=http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?DEPA=0
sumit=Go&description=19%2D103%2D424&searchdepa=0]Athlon 64 3000+ Retail[/URL]