ATI revenue jumps 40 percent

By on December 20, 2003, 4:03 AM
Graphics chipmaker ATI Technologies on Friday reported higher profits and improved revenue, propelled by higher shipments of computer components, for the first quarter of fiscal 2004, which ended Nov. 30.

The company's revenue jumped to $469.7 million, up 23 percent from the last quarter of 2003 and 40 percent from $335.4 million in the same quarter a year ago.

Read more: [URL=http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-5129803.html]CNet News[/URL].




User Comments: 33

Got something to say? Post a comment
poertner_1274 said:
I can tell you that ATI has done a great job of distributing their product among a lot of stores, and pre-built into PC's. I know because they are in almost all of our desktops, with an exceptoin here and there with an NVidia.I think ATI only has room to grow, and it will be interesting to see how well they do in the future.
StormBringer said:
True Poert, but I think you gotta give a bit of credit to nVidia, if they hadn't failed to deliver on their offerings this year, I don't think ATi would have done quite as well. However that said, ATi has delivered what was expected of it lately(even more so for those who have loathed ATi in the past) they have done a good job not only with top performance, but they seem to be doing well with their drivers too. When you look at all those things, this news isn't much surprise and the trend is likely to continue.
tripleione said:
It's amazing to see how far ATi has come in a year and a half. They really put the pressure on nVIDIA and still came out on top.I expect this trend to continue if ATi begins releasing as great of products as they have in the previous months.
Rick said:
Remember the ATI "Rage" days? What terrible 3D cards. :)But the Radeon family sure turned things around. The fall of 3Dfx really opened a nice window for them to climb in, too.
werty316 said:
This isn't too obvious and what is Nvidias revenue? prolly went down. Radeon for ever!; even though I have a GF3 ti500 which will change in time when i upgrade.
tripleione said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Rick [/i]Remember the ATI "Rage" days? What terrible 3D cards. :)But the Radeon family sure turned things around. The fall of 3Dfx really opened a nice window for them to climb in, too. [/quote] I wouldn't say the Radeon series altogether, because the original Radeon and the Radeon 8500 both had problems with their drivers when they were each released. The tide really started to turn when The Radeon 9700 Pro hit the market.
Vehementi said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by poertner_1274 [/i]I can tell you that ATI has done a great job of distributing their product among a lot of stores, and pre-built into PC's. I know because they are in almost all of our desktops, with an exceptoin here and there with an NVidia.I think ATI only has room to grow, and it will be interesting to see how well they do in the future. [/quote] Not to mention ATi's inundation of certain sites' contests ;)ATi's introduction of an alternative to nVIDIA after 3DFX's demise seemed to work out excellent for them. They both offer better performance and a cheaper price at that.I don't think ATi isn't the underdog anymore :) But nVIDIA is having massive success in another field, the nForce chipsets.
BrownPaper said:
ever since ATi released the 9700 pro, they have left almost every gamer in awe. all the eye candy up and still going at insane framerates. ATi's drivers are not that bad either. people that say that ATi driver support still sucks are generally very anal and bias. ATi's drivers are comparable with Nvidia now. Both companies still got problems with their drivers here and there on some people's setups however.
chuonthis said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Vehementi [/i]But nVIDIA is having massive success in another field, the nForce chipsets. [/quote]And now that ATi is beginning to offer an alternative chipset on motherboards (the RS300), we may just see nVidia struggling in that field too.
SNGX1275 said:
But this time nVidia see's ATi comming (on the chipsets) and can try to do something about it, it seems that nVidia was a bit overconfident after the fall of 3dfx and it bit them in the rear. nVidia shouldn't make the same mistake twice.
Strakian said:
Couldn't complain if I wanted to. They earned it. I'm now a loyal ATI owner and all my rigs needing an upgrade in the near future will receive a Radeon 9500 pro or higher. They've redeemed themselves to the point that the trend can only increase. Let's see Nvidia catch them now... ATI has proven their architecture is superior across the board in all but horsepower. But horespower doesn't mean jack if you put a Race class engine into a mini and add something to take away a PCI slot...
SNGX1275 said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Strakian [/i]Couldn't complain if I wanted to. They earned it. I'm now a loyal ATI owner and all my rigs needing an upgrade in the near future will receive a Radeon 9500 pro or higher. They've redeemed themselves to the point that the trend can only increase. Let's see Nvidia catch them now... ATI has proven their architecture is superior across the board in all but horsepower. But horespower doesn't mean jack if you put a Race class engine into a mini and add something to take away a PCI slot... [/quote] Are you serious man? I guess this is how ATi did get marks over nVidia, apparently all it takes is a swing or 2 of momentum, then all the sudden [b]THE MARKET IS YOURS!!!!!!!!!![/b].Anyway back to reality - nVidia didn't gain dominance and then pass it off only to be taken forever, nVidia will be back anyone who thinks otherwise is an *****. Game On.
poertner_1274 said:
Of course they will be back, it's just like anything else, they have their ups and downs, and come through ok in the end. Just like the CPU market, there can't be one dominant leader, there always has to be a competitor or it will get seriously ridiculous.
Strakian said:
was strictly saying 'at the moment my impressions are'. Of course, Nvidia has to make up for a bunch of things now... DirectX9 compatibility issues with specific games... picture quality... actually be the best card for playing the game that has 'Play it Nvidia' logo at start up... make noiser cards... I'm sure they'll fix some of these in the future.. but right now I'm holding up the 9800XT as the holy grail. Can't wait to see what's in store for both the new chipsets though!
tripleione said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by chuonthis [/i]And now that ATi is beginning to offer an alternative chipset on motherboards (the RS300), we may just see nVidia struggling in that field too. [/quote] I doubt that. Intel's boards are generally the best boards to use with their CPUs and thus are probably the most commonly bought motherboard for Intel processors. This is not to mention the motherboards that come with other chipsets such as SiS and VIA that are very distant second from Intel's offerings.On the other hand, we have nVIDIA producing chipsets for a AMD, who generally do not sell their own line of motherboards for their CPUs. The only other real competitor for nVIDIA is VIA, who is clearly behind in performance and features. Besides, if you think about it, what it really comes down to is what processor most people are buying at the time. If Intel is dominating the market, chances are that ATi's chipset profit would also go up. Same for nVIDIA if AMD processors were on the rise (much like they are now with the introduction of Athlon64).
Federelli said:
I msut add that i feel it's a pitty that ATI's brand has hardly reached south america :(:(All you can find here is Nvidia and Nvidia... I believe ATI should perhaps concentrate a bit on it's support over other countries such as mine (Argentina)
Vehementi said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by tripleione [/i]I doubt that. Intel's boards are generally the best boards to use with their CPUs and thus are probably the most commonly bought motherboard for Intel processors. This is not to mention the motherboards that come with other chipsets such as SiS and VIA that are very distant second from Intel's offerings.[/quote] Are we talking about just chipsets or full mainboards? I bought the Intel 865PE for my P4, but I wouldn't buy an Intel system board. Simply because I would rather buy a board from ASUS, ABIT, Gigabyte, MSI, etc. Both because of the features, the brand name, and it's a better board - Intel makes good CPUs but that doesn't mean they'll make good system boards.
poertner_1274 said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Federelli [/i]I msut add that i feel it's a pitty that ATI's brand has hardly reached south america :(:(All you can find here is Nvidia and Nvidia... I believe ATI should perhaps concentrate a bit on it's support over other countries such as mine (Argentina) [/quote] That would be smart if they could do that. I don't see why they aren't, maybe it is a local thing in your country, or city? Do they not want to get in ATI products, or is it just that thre isn't any? I would have thought ATI would have been accesable anywhere. Has your community complained to ATI or asked for their products? I'm sure they would love to get them out all over the world.
UncleGemboel said:
ATI seem growing stronger day by day, it only a matter of time before it takes Nvidia market, but i hope nvidia will give a good fight so we costumer can get a better card in performance and stability, and im really hope another graphic maker come to join the fight, i hope S3 and XGI can give another good choice for us.I hate the moment when nvidia destroy 3dfx!
chuonthis said:
Intel motherboard have been known for their excellent stability but also for their high prices. Asus, Abit, etc. offer boards with more features and are generally cheaper. ATi's main selling point for its chipset will probably be the integrated video. It outperforms what Intel offers onboard and if the price is right, it could become very attractive to consumers who are on a budget.
Federelli said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by poertner_1274 [/i]That would be smart if they could do that. I don't see why they aren't, maybe it is a local thing in your country, or city? Do they not want to get in ATI products, or is it just that thre isn't any? I would have thought ATI would have been accesable anywhere. Has your community complained to ATI or asked for their products? I'm sure they would love to get them out all over the world. [/quote] There are some ATI products Radeon 7500, some 9500..., but they are not advertised as Nvidia's products are, and they are scarcelly sold. It happens all over South America i'm afraid :(....Do you think that complaining would do anything? i'll see if i can get a petition made or something... thanx!
tripleione said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Vehementi [/i]Are we talking about just chipsets or full mainboards? I bought the Intel 865PE for my P4, but I wouldn't buy an Intel system board. Simply because I would rather buy a board from ASUS, ABIT, Gigabyte, MSI, etc. Both because of the features, the brand name, and it's a better board - Intel makes good CPUs but that doesn't mean they'll make good system boards. [/quote] I meant as far as chipsets are concerned. I didn't mean to confuse anyone, sorry.
p05ta1 said:
I can say that everything out there now does not demand for me to upgrade from my ti4200. Neither company has anything new to offer since DirectX 9 games are still so few and far between. Every new game I play now works and looks great. Maybe the next batch will do something and by the time halflife2 or doom3 is out how much will these cards run?
Federelli said:
Max Payne 2, Halo, Tomb Raider, Need for Speed: Underground, and many demos, just to mention someThese are already using DX9 features.Then you have Opengl1.5/2.0 games as well.I believe it's time to upgrade already from any dx8 card
tripleione said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Federelli [/i]Max Payne 2, Halo, Tomb Raider, Need for Speed: Underground, and many demos, just to mention someThese are already using DX9 features.Then you have Opengl1.5/2.0 games as well.I believe it's time to upgrade already from any dx8 card [/quote] Neither Max Payne 2 or NFS:U have any DX9 elements in them. I know NFS:U is at most DX8.1 and I'm pretty sure Max Payne 2 is a combonation of DX7/DX8... somewhat like UT2003.As far as I know, OpenGL 2.0 doesn't even have a finalized set of specifications yet.The GeForce4 Ti series has fallen into the legacy sector of video cards, but is still a long way from being outdated. Especially when ATi and nVIDIA are churning out poor-excuses-for-DX9-capability video cards such as the GeForceFX 5200 and Radeon 9200.
Krugger said:
i've been a big ATI fan ever since i made the switch from 3DFX. I definetly need to get in on one of these new generation ATI cards... maybe after christmas i'll be able to afford one. i'm glad to see they're doing well, i think they make great products and their support is top notch, not perfect, but they do very well when compared to other companies.
UncleGemboel said:
One thing ATI must do, especially in my country is to remove people oppinion that ATI card have some incompability with many games or application. It seem Nvidia had make strong bound with my people that only nvidia card can make many game run smoothly, so ATI must do something about it.
Masque said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by UncleGemboel [/i]One thing ATI must do, especially in my country is to remove people oppinion that ATI card have some incompability with many games or application. It seem Nvidia had make strong bound with my people that only nvidia card can make many game run smoothly, so ATI must do something about it. [/quote] I think that's mostly going to be a matter of time....eventually, they'll see the Catalyst driver set for what it is....improving steadily for the most part, and see the compatibility issues waning over time. If they keep up their good work and don't make any stupid mistakes, they'll be fine for a long time to come.
MrGaribaldi said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by UncleGemboel [/i]One thing ATI must do, especially in my country is to remove people oppinion that ATI card have some incompability with many games or application. It seem Nvidia had make strong bound with my people that only nvidia card can make many game run smoothly, so ATI must do something about it. [/quote] Well, ATI has done something about it...They've created the Catalysts, which is a huge step forward from the drivers they previously had... They're releasing new drivers about every month with fixes & improvements...The point is that people have to notice... And they have to be willing to accept that a change has happened...Most of the people talking about ATI's bad drivers haven't "looked at the scene" for over a year.... They're still stuck in the time when Nvidia had the best driver support, and no cheating (except for the Quake/Quack thingy with ATi) had happened... But when they do catch up, I'm quite certain that their tune will be a bit different than now... :)Just tell them to look around at what is cooking, and I think they'll be quite quick to understand what has happened....02$
---agissi--- said:
Your very right MrGaribaldi. [quote]One thing ATI must do, especially in my country is to remove people oppinion that ATI card have some incompability with many games or application.[/quote]Thats something I was concerned of 6 months ago, however it seems they have put so much fourth to the drivers ATi have come up. With the R420 soon to come, whats nVidia going to do :confused:
Masque said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by ---agissi--- [/i]Your very right MrGaribaldi. Thats something I was concerned of 6 months ago, however it seems they have put so much fourth to the drivers ATi have come up. With the R420 soon to come, whats nVidia going to do :confused: [/quote] I think you'll see nVidia do the same thing ATI did.....plug away at it until you've got it right. I'd like to see 2 dominant factors in any marketplace....that's what drives prices down. Right now ATI can afford to keep the prices up because they know they've got a superior product (IMHO). :grinthumb
MrGaribaldi said:
Well, rumour has it they are willing to cut their margins to get a better part into the market...Meaning that the top of the line card will be much more expensive to produce than the 9800XT, but cost the same (as the XT does today)
Federelli said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by tripleione [/i]Neither Max Payne 2 or NFS:U have any DX9 elements in them. I know NFS:U is at most DX8.1 and I'm pretty sure Max Payne 2 is a combonation of DX7/DX8... somewhat like UT2003.As far as I know, OpenGL 2.0 doesn't even have a finalized set of specifications yet.The GeForce4 Ti series has fallen into the legacy sector of video cards, but is still a long way from being outdated. Especially when ATi and nVIDIA are churning out poor-excuses-for-DX9-capability video cards such as the GeForceFX 5200 and Radeon 9200. [/quote] WRONG!Max Payne 2's mirrors require a DX9 card to be seen, and the light trails and motion blur in NFSU also require a DX9 card to workAnd OGL 2.0 is just about done
Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.