Asustek founder resigns, criticizes management

By on December 31, 2003, 9:38 AM
Wayne Hsieh, one of Asustek Computerís founders and the largest shareholder, resigned from the board and left his post as vice president of the manufacturing division last Friday and wrote an emotional email to former colleagues yesterday explaining his reasons to leave.

In the email, Hsieh criticized Asustekís management style, saying the companyís leader does not use people based on their abilities but on their relationships to the leader. He said that Asustekís lack of standardized management processes has caused bureaucracy and corruption and that he could no longer work there.

Read more: [URL=http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2003/12/30&pages=A2&seq=4]Digitimes[/URL].

ak_in_charge said:
I think that is really sad, that in a lot of cases the big wigs base jobs on relationship rather than ability. It seems like this is true in almost any big coorporation.Its not what ya know. its WHO! you know.Good for him for getting outta there. Thats a very tough decision.
Masque said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by ak_in_charge [/i]Good for him for getting outta there. Thats a very tough decision. [/quote] I agree. It takes a man with a conscience to leave something he loves because the dream has turned into a nightmare.
Nic said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by ak_in_charge [/i]I think that is really sad, that in a lot of cases the big wigs base jobs on relationship rather than ability. It seems like this is true in almost any big coorporation.Its not what ya know. its WHO! you know.[/quote]Small companies also. In fact almost all companies come to think about it. People tend to give jobs to those they like, rather than those that are most qualified. It's a reciprocating relationship. We humans just can't help the way we are, it seems. Not something I agree with personally, but its something we all have to deal with daily.
tripleione said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Masque [/i]I agree. It takes a man with a conscience to leave something he loves because the dream has turned into a nightmare. [/quote] My thoughts exactly. It's good to see there are still a few men with good morals in this day and age.
ak_in_charge said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Masque [/i]I agree. It takes a man with a conscience to leave something he loves because the dream has turned into a nightmare. [/quote] I like how you put that...Well Said!!Man, he was one of the founders and the largest share holder, he should be the one making the decisions instead of going along with what others say.That Sux :dead:
chuonthis said:
I agree with you all that basing jobs on relationships is not cool but one thing the article doesn't mention is the performance of the resigning VP. Maybe he wasn't performing his duties well as a VP.
Federelli said:
I totally agree, you don't get to see such acts very often, it takes someone intelligent in order to do so. I wish this kinds didn't happen though, it's bad to see smart people leave :(
Vehementi said:
I hope AsusTek is not effected adversely by his resignation, they make great products. Of course, their largest stockholder selling all his shares must have wreaked havoc upon their stock.