My motherboard is whistling!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegasgmc

It sounds almost like vacuum tubes if you're old enough to remember those. The sound changes pitch whenever I use the scrool wheel on my mouse. At first I thought it was a fan but I turned them all off including CPU fan and the noise is still there. It seems to be in the area of the DIMM slots. Its an Aopen KK77-600N.

What's it whistling?

"Zippa-dee-doo-da! Zippa-dee-day! My oh my! What a wonderful day!!!"

Sorry, I know that's not helping. I just could not resist it. I am sure you are finding this distressing, all I can say is it really must be electrical interference from some source that's powerful enough to make it pick it up.

Or, it may be just broken, and it will always do this.

Here's someone else with your problem on another site:

my roomate traded down from the 9800 because it made this horrible whistling sound. it was annoying even in a room with 6 other computers and their fans.

stinking whistling sound wasn't constant. might have been able to get used to that, but this thing would change it's sound from moment to moment. maddening!

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/archive/thread/125707-1.html

Could you return it?

Problem solved. After literally putting my head in the computer case I found its the power supply thats whistling. Did a search and it seems to be a common problem with this Enermax model. Its a bad capacitor. Its only 2 months old and was expensive.

Im sending it back today. I think Im going to ask if they will exchange it for an Antec. I put my old Antec in and no whistling and my CPU temp dropped almost 10*F. Id like to keep using that one but its 4 years old and only 300w.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back