New Router Timeout-Grrrr!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odyssey

Until recently, I have been using a switch to network two computers via ethernet which did not allow the two to be online at the same time.

I just replaced the switch with a D-Link DI-604 4 port router and have one major and three minor problems.

The major prob is that occasionally, one or the other of the computers seems to lose the internet connection although the second (i.e., in addition to the lan icon) little network icon (lower right) shows the connection to still be active.

So far a computer reboot is the only sure fix. Is it timing out or what and how do I fix it?

Next, Shields Up shows port 113 closed instead of stealthed and I cannot figure out how to block it throught the admin panel of the router. (Bit over my head ) How can I accomplish this?

Thirdly, in the status box, when the aforementioned little icon is clicked on, instead of saying disconnect as it did with the switch, it says disable. What is the difference between disconnect and disable? Is this a clue to the next question?

Finally, the disable button does not seem to accomplish anything, because if I click on it the internet connection remains intact. How do I disconnect from the internet if and when I should want to?

For what it is worth, when I click on "Status" in the second little icon labeled "Internet Connection", the information box that comes up shows a diagram of:

On left: "Activity Internet"
In middle: "Internet Gateway" (I assume this is the D-Link)
On right: "My Computer"

Below the diagram, where packets sent and received are shown, My Computer shows considerable traffic both ways, but the Internet Gateway only shows Packets Received (none sent). This makes sense since the computer could only know what is happening on the other side of the router if the router gave up this info. But what is interesting is that the number of packets shown to be received by the Gateway is a small percentage of the number shown to be sent from My Computer. Does this mean anything?

Thanks

ADSL through Speedstream gateway (PPPOE)

for both computers:
XP home
plenty ram
dhcp

Based on the intermittant issues of your connection issues, it MAY be a cabling or port issue- have you tried multiple network cables and multiple router ports?

Another thing is be sure the network cable isn't near TVs, speakers, flourescent lites, etc. These can cause undue interference, and may be a partial source of your problems.

A failsafe way to end your network connection is yank the cable. ;)

The packet count doesn't really concern me too much.. some people use different metrics, not to mention your computers can talk to each other at times instead of the outside world. A computer that counts in inches will obviously see more units than the one in miles. :) The local traffic can be high particularly if you use ipx/spx or netbios for local file sharing..

Might wanna run a virus scan just in case and/or spyware.

Some devices do not support the disconnect/disable signal, that could be your case here. Might wanna do some research on google on it. I'm not familiar with your particular device, and sadly don't have much time to research it this week.

Hope this helps some. BTW- Welcome to techspot!

I have passed this info on to many people, and it works everytime:

A few basic setups when networking:

Router-setup WAN:
Protocol: Fixed IP
IP-address, Subnetmask and default Gateway: as per ISP-information
DNS-servers: as per ISP-information
Enable NAT

Router-setup LAN:
IP-address: set to e.g. 192.168.1.254 (or use default)
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP-server: disable

Router: Some System-settings (depending on your router)
Optional SNTP (time): e.g. 194.35.252.7 for UK/Ireland (GMT)
uPnP: disable
Dynamic routing: disable
Remote config: disable
Dynamic DNS: disable
Firewall: Block hacker attack: enable
Firewall: Block WAN request: enable
VPN: disable all settings unless you need it

PC-Settings
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Use the following IP address: 192.168.1.101 (102, 103 etc.)
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254 (IP-address from your Router)
Use DNS Server address: 192.168.1.254 (IP-address from your Router)
Second DNS: leave blank or put in first DNS-server from WAN-part in Router

Enable File/Printer sharing if you wish (works only within local network)
Check individual printer(s) that they are shared as well (in printer-settings)

And make sure all your PCs are in the same WORKGROUP.

If software firewall installed, enable the other PCs IP-address(es)

Goalie, thanks for yours and have checked all

RealBlackStuff, great post and will implement all changes.

One other issue: Shields Up shows port 113 closed instead of stealthed and I cannot figure out how to block it throught the admin panel of the router. I can make my way round most of the stuff in admin, but this part is a bit over my head, I fear :confused: How can I accomplish this?

Wish I could be there to join you for a real one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back