Bad Image Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blah

The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\oledlg.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

I keep getting these kind of errors when trying to run programms, games ect.

bad%20image.JPG

I'm not really an expert with computers, so i would be greatful if you could explain clearly the problem.

Thanks

I think you will need to run system file checker.
Put your XP CD in the drive, open a command prompt and type:
sfc /scannow

Windows checks to see if any critical files are damaged. If so, SFC will replace them.

does not work, says i need windows xp home edition disk, i have 2 restore cds with everything on..

I don't have that .dll on my system, and by the sounds of it (a google search) I think you are the only person on the net with it. I think the file is a virus or somesuch. I think you should virus scan your machine with an up to date anti-virus software.

sorry, file name is oledlg.dll. This is not the only file that is messing up, i have numbers of them. I already spent 2 hours trying to repair my windows, i cant figure out how to with the disks i got.. Is there something i gotta type in command prompt?

Tried it. It tried to make me put the windows xp disk in again, so to dodge this, i had to rename the files, put it back in, rename blah...

Tried to run gamespy (a game which comes up with this error), said it will most certainly create serious errors.. took the file back out. Another disaster

Check your Windows cd(s) for a file oledlg.d*
If you have a utility that checks inside .ZIP and .CAB files, even better.
That would be the original file.
Alternatively, check in \windows\drivercache\i386 or \windows\servicepackfiles\i386 if the file is there.
Or use Search for the whole HD, come on, use your imagination?

The exact same thing happened to me except with steam. Anyway all i did was copy the old file into another directory then delete the old olegd.dll windows automatically replaced it and now steam works. Dont ask me why it works, just be thank full it does.

P.S. only reason im replying is because i know how frustrating it was. bye do u have zone alarm bye any chance and/or did gamespy freezeup just before this happened to your computer because of its firewall? Hope it works for u.

Blah, did you or anyone else solve this problem? I have been experiencing the
same thing for a few days now, every second application or game I try to start
crashes with the warning that some DLL is a bad image. I have virusscanned
the computer and it was and is clean. Any tool available that fixes this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back