Need advice on upgrading celeron chip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm interested in upgrading my cpu,
I currentl have a 2.4gig celeron in an im845g motherboard, I'm not entirely sure what I can upgrade to though, since its a celeron I would expect the motherboard isnt that great but I'd be happy if I could fit just a standard p4 2.4 gig into it. Any help anyone?
Thanks.
Chris

It is more then likely a standard i845g motherboard using a sockey-478 interface. You can probably install a 100mhz (400) or even 133mhz (533) Northwood Pentium 4 on it. Northwood parts are being phased out for the Prescott but you can still find them on sites such as Newegg & the likes.

Try getting your hands on a 2.4 or 2.8GHz part, it should give you a nice performance boost for (I hope) a not too big pricetag.

Thanks

Thanks, I've given http://www.e4allinc.info/ a run over and lit seems like Ive got the IM845G with an MPGA478 processor slot for 400Mhz chips possible 533 accordind to the above site. I've installed everything else except processors as I've always been somewhat fearful of understanding whether they'll work. Is there likely to be any probelm jamming a minty P4 in the baord when its sitting pretty with a lazy celeron?
Thanks Didou you post is a big help!
Cheers,
Chris

Sorry to keep adding but I keep coming across new question that are probably quite trivial, a lot of the northwood chips(2.8) ship as is with no heat sink fan etc, is the one I currently have on the 2.4 celeron likely to suffice or should I just look for a chip that comes fully packaged as its likely to screw me if I don't?
Thanks again

Well if the chip you wish to install uses the same socket as the motherboard, it's a good start. Some people will jam anything anywhere & ruin the all the parts involved in this "process".:p

In your case, at worst the motherboard will not recognize the CPU & might not post but there will be no damage done to either of the parts. Just remember to install the heatsink/fan on top of the CPU before powering it on the first time.

Just one more question ;)

Ok, I've decided to either get
(http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=82850) 2.8 chip should work with the board but its sold as is.
or
(http://www.savastore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=10272611&pid=207)
2.66 chip again should work with the board not much price difference, the advantage of the second one being it comes with a shiny box and fan for the chip.
So really I'm just wondering if the first one will be fine with the fan I've got in at the moment, if not I canbuy a fan with the first option, or if it might be less hassl to get the slightly slower chip.
Thanks for your help again,
Chris

Thanks!

Right, hopefully it should boost meh performance,
I figure I'll go with your advice, the model number is BX80532PE2667D from what I've seen the d seems to indicate its a northwood core. The shiny boxed items usually attract me from a warranty standpoint.
Thanks for the advice Didou, sorry to have used your afternoon for my own selfish gains :).
Thanks again!

Well I did get teh 2.8 in the end from ebay, the 2.6 was out of stock , its all workign great though, master cooler kit came with it and It all works, I'm not leaving my pc on alone just yet but the performance boost is very noticable.
Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back