Enabled cool n quite now pc wont post says cpu failed overclocking wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi hi folks im a noob my first major build had a head ache trying to get raid setup on sata
pc workin ok when switched on this morn unrecognised cpu f1
so went into that while in their i enabled cnq f10 and exited pc booted up ok
was using nero to copy a dvd screen went blank moved mouse ctrl,alt delete nothing
so shut down
now cannt get out on screen cleared cmos tried another graphics card 1stick of ram in module b1 stripped mobo out with a stick of ram graphics cardstill nothing fans on led light on and posting says cpu failed due to overclocking how do i get into bios cant get screen to come on :eek: plz been doing allsorts going out of my head

I think I may have found the sinner.
Magna ATX 500w Power supply
ATX 500, P4 Ready, Intel P4 Recommended, AMD Recommended
2x 8cm black Fans, CE Approved, P4 Ready

+3.3v 28A, +5v 40A, +12v 17A

Price: £23.51 (Including: VAT at 17.5%)

It's the +12v rail which produces only 17A and that probably at the maximum.
Also, the price alone indicates poor quality.
Found it at www.xscomputersupplies.com which must have the crappiest PSU-selection I have ever seen.
Try to borrow someone else's PSU before you spend money.

Also, have a look here: http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/

got it from pc fair **** sold it to me for 45 quid said it was a good un :mad:

would this not even boot now that ive got it stripped down to mobo,1 stick of ram, graphics card and thats a n old g force 2

Have you connected the extra power-connectore for the AMD64 processor? I doubt if your PSU has a cable like that (similar to the one needed for a Pentium 4)
An AMD64 runs completely off the 12v rails. Drives etc. rely mostly on the +5v rails.
I'd still say, try someone else's PSU (with AMD64 power connector).
Your PSU should power up, but I don't know enough yet about the effects of CoolNQuiet.

rerd777 said:
yes it has the xtra connector like the p4 i have 1 in this machine but think this is only a 350 w psu
Ok you Oc'd first#1 do you really no what you changed to over clock,We need to know more if size of cpu etc,We think we know your power supply you told us is a 350 watt.You need a larger (((Quality ))))power supply then this if you are looking into OCing first of all,If you have a little power your cpu will need more its running hotter and getting more voltage,did you touch any voltage settings?.It sounds to me u fryed the cpu do to low voltage and in correct adjustments:(

hi my psu was a magna 500w not very good by accounts just recieved a tagan tg420 -u02(i-xeye)seen 6this advertised for amd64 tried it out nothing been intouch with supplier and told him dint know if it was mobo ur cpu think fault lies with mobo as when booting with no ram no beep which it should have done to tell me no ram installed am i right in thinking this .
anyway says he will chq both should be under warranty when i get mobo back should i install latest bios b4 i istall operating system like i said previously im a noob but am learning fast
:giddy: could any1 put in sequence what i should do in what order and help set my bios up so all is ok thanx for taking time to hear me ramble on but we must have all been here b4 starting off on our first major build and your experience will help others and myself starting off in the right way thanx again :D

paul, stepping on your toes again, wtf are you rambling on about overclocking?
Nobody is overclocking, read the posts, and read up more on the web, before you blather away.

rerd777, have you tried a (free) utility tufftest-lite? It runs from a floppy, bypassing most parts of the PCs hardware. http://www.tufftest.com/tt01-lite.htm
With some luck it might get your PC to boot on it.
Your mobo is still under warranty, return it for exchange. Check the mobo-revision of the old (AND the new before you accept it!) mobo, yours might be an early one (which nearly always has problems).
Only load a later BIOS on any mobo if that has problems, or the new version has an improvement that you specifically must have or want.
If you get the exact same mobo, you won't have to re-install XP again.

hi thanx for reply i sent mobo back this afternoon by recorded mail so did nt get chance to use the tufftest but downloaded it for future refi will report back when i get news of mobo and cpu and keep you upto date thanx in the mean time

Hi realblackstuff
this sounds like AMD's answer to intels stepping instuctions for there moble chip
My quistion is' do you need the drivers to use the Athlon 64 Processor
I can't believe AMD would allow chip to get cooked if somethingwent wrong
my guess is the bios got corrupted.

spoke to supplier this afternoon cpu ok but says mobo faulty no exact description so waiting for them to get another 1 in so they can send them on
will post back when i get mobo back thanx guys

hi guys just to let you know finally after upteem phone calls got mobo back today so will put pc back together with new power supply not bad supplier left a 512 mb stick of pc3200 nowt flash but it will do for one of the kids pcs :grinthumb

hi pc up and running yea put all hardware back on ,only thing having to press f1 all time saying cpu unrecognised each time on boot up also 2 xp pro on boot how do i delete 1 is it something in boot ini file
thanx again for help :slurp:

Your AMD64 3500 should normally run at 2200MHz. Check this in your BIOS.

Boot.ini is read-only, find it on the c-drive, rightclick it, select Properties and untick Read-Only. (Put it back when you are finished).
You can edit c:\boot.ini with e.g. Notepad and check that there is only 1 entry, like:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows XP" /fastdetect

Look at the numbers between brackets (0), these should be 0-0-0-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back