Using win 2000 pro cd from DELL

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmk75

Does anybody knows how to use a windows 2000 pro cd from Dell to install it on a different PC not a dell. I have a Legal license sticker for win 2000 pro but CD wont work.
I know its can be done, but how?
Any help?????

Dmitry

What is the problem?
That CD should be a standard OEM Win2K installation CD, The only thing that makes it different than a retail copy is that it doesn't come with a box or documentation, and it has a label on it that says Dell.

The problem may be the service pack. If the CD has a different revision than the key you are using, it won't work.

it says something like "this product is for use with DELL computer only".

Help?

Thanks
Dmitry

It shouldn't say that if that is a valid Dell OEM key, if it is from a retail copy of 2k, that would explain your problem.

Dell stopped givng straight up OEM OS disks quite some time ago. their disks now have the OS on them but they also have a little program in them that checks to see if the disk is in a Dell machine and if it isnt then it wont install.

Well I know that. So how can I get around that, because I know its possible?

Anybody?

Dmitry.

iss said:
Dell stopped givng straight up OEM OS disks quite some time ago. their disks now have the OS on them but they also have a little program in them that checks to see if the disk is in a Dell machine and if it isnt then it wont install.

I think I'd know if that was true, since I work for Dell. And it isn't. For that to happen, the disc would have to check to see if the system has a Dell BIOS. I've installed Dell OEM versions of Windows on many non-dell systems, as have many of my collegues. Matter of fact, one of the first popular bootleg versions of Windows XP was of a Dell OEM copy of XP Pro. This was quite widely publicized.

Matter of fact, as of late summer '04 Dell stopped shipping any discs at all with new Dimension and Inspiron systems unless you request them. Those systems have a backup image on them instead.

Check the autorun.inf file on that CD. On a regular W2K disk it points to setup.exe in the root. If it points somewhere else, start that PC with e.g. a W98-bootfloppy with CD-ROM support. Insert the CD, go to it and type setup and hit enter.

dell win2k pro reinstalling disk

02-20-2005 09:59 PM
dmk75 it says something like "this product is for use with DELL computer only".

Help?

Thanks
Dmitry
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- :bounce:

02-20-2005 10:10 PM
StormBringer It shouldn't say that if that is a valid Dell OEM key, if it is from a retail copy of 2k, that would explain your problem.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know for a fact that dell makes operating system disks

that warn , "this product is for use with DELL computer only".

My win2k pro disk checks for dell hardware . If I try a different

computer I get the above warning .

Borrow someone else's W2K-CD and install, using your own key.

Or copy the whole i386 folder to the HD and try running winnt.exe (from DOS) or winnt32.exe (from Windows) from the same i386 folder.

Today, 03:12 AM
realblackstuff
TechSpot Addict Join Date: Aug 2003

Borrow someone else's W2K-CD and install, using your own key.

Or copy the whole i386 folder to the HD and try running winnt.exe (from DOS) or winnt32.exe (from Windows) from the same i386 folder.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reply .

I don't have anyone who has win2k around .

I bought computer from boeing company . It came with 2 win2k disks
that are for big corps . That is that they all have the same key .

I will try your suggestion and burn i386 folder to cd then boot with
win98 floppy with cd support on it .

Hope it works . It was only a test for me to see if it would install
on a non dell computer .

Read statement that cd would not give warning . Just reinforcing
what the poor guy with same problem said is true
:hotbounce :knock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back