Hard drive beep continusely

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_need_answers

my western digital 160gb h/d wont stop beepingon start-up and when its plugged in my master hard drive isn't recognized ad being there.... any help?

Hard drives do not beep...it sounds like there is a problem with the MBoard or a BIOS setting.

patio. :cool:

hmmm

hi im sorry but i have to disagree my hard drive does beep or it makes some sort of noise related to making a distress signal and its getting pretty hot im not sure whats wrong but when i put my ear up to the hard drive i hear the noise is coming from it and you can hear it from 10-15 feet away. when I remove the hard drive the noise stops.
im puzzled, i also had never heard of a hard drive beeping before this

What you hear are the final death throes of an ailing harddisk.
Better get all data off it before it completely gives up the ghost!

noooooooooooooo

its a 160 gb hard drive oooo well i,ve only had it since december but i got it for really cheap ($30 us) is it unusual for a hard drive to die that fast?
thanks for your help

Some HDs go for only a few weeks or months. Luck of the draw.
Usually a HD should be good for up to 10 years, when the PC runs no more than 8 hours a day. About 3-4 years when continually running.
My oldest still running HD is a 44MB (!) Seagate ST151 from I think 1987. It sits in an 'antique' Philips 286AT, running DOS, that runs maybe once or twice a year, when nostalgia hits me.

You should have warranty on that 160GB disk, try an RMA from the shop/manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back