Cannot start Windows Firewall\ICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan2k5

Hi everyone, I seem to have a bit of a problem which I hope someone can help me out with.

I cant seem to get my firewall to display. When I attempt to open my firewall settings it says "cannot start windows firewall\ICS". Now I've researched quite a bit about fixing this problem, I even saw some topics on here about the same problem I have but non of the solutions worked for me.

Now Im not a brain when it comes to computer but I don't need to be using ICS, I only have one connection on my computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Check for all necessary services

Firewall/ICS is dependant on several services. Go into Control Panel and open Administrator Tools, then open Services. You'll see Internet Connection Sharing/Internet Connection Firewall in the list - double-click on it, go to the dependencies tab. There should be 4 services that need to be enabled for the irewall/ICS service to run. Check if any of the dependent services are disabled and if they are, set them to manual.

Post back with the results.

well I don't know how to see if they are disabled or not. Here is what was listed in the dependencies tab:

Network connections
-Remote Procedure call
Windows Management Instrumentation
-Event log
-Remote Procedure Call

I dont know if it matters or not but in that windows firewall place you told me to go to, it says that its startup type is disabled. I tried putting it to automatic and it just kept automatically changing back to disabled

I'm not sure if this is an issue or not, but it could be some sort of malicious thing on your computer. Just as some don't let you open MSCONFIG, or Taskmanager, this could be blocking the firewall, as it would hinder the performance of this malware. I am not certain, just a thought.

Try looking at this thread and see if that takes care of your problem.

If not post back.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Like Bryan I've tried the recommended tests..Firewall still will not activate. Getting error10047. This is a new situation. Firewall was fine from the beginning of XP pro install. Yesterday I installed Microsoft Antispyware program. Don't know if this is when it started. 10047 says address incompatable with the requested protocaol.... help appreciated.

OK, I did everything that other thread said, Im doing the AV scan now, but I have one quick question. It said to remove the temp folder for all users. When I did this it tried deleting some hijackthis folders and said it would make some programs not work. Should I still delete the temp folder for all users? I have the stuff sitting in my recycle bin right now.

Where did you install HiJackThis? It should be somewhere like C:\Hijackthis and not on the desktop or any personalised folder. This was pointed out in the instructions.

Ok, I ran a scan but it couldnt remove these three infections:

C:\\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\reginv.dll
C:\\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winkey.dll
C:\\WINDOWS\services.exe

what can I do to remove those?

here are the three infections it found. Are these big problems?

Virus File
BKDR PRORAT.l C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\reginv.dll
BKDR PRORAT.l C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winkey.dll
BKDR PRORAT.A C:\WINDOWS\services.exe

Windows firewall start

Firewall would not start: Internet connection sharing message, and error 10047. My senior moment kicked in and I ran windows restore, going back 10 days. All is well! Thanks for all the comments and help...dale

leh!i - this word makes no appearence in my dictionary. If we understand the problem we will try to help you solve it.

Sorry guys, I went out of town for a few days and I didn't have access to the internet.

Ok, Here's my hijack this log. Anything I don't need, just tell me and I'll fix them.

Thanks for all your help!

Attachments

• hijackthis.txt
    5.3 KB · Views: 5
I cant Start up windows firewall

How to start up win firewall???i kind of thinking of giving up!!Ouch!!I went To Network Connection in services,n saw windows firewall in dependencies but!now i !

Users!I found Your Prob!

Ok!Guyz,right click my computer,go to Manage>go to Services aNd Applications> select Services>scroll down till u see Windows Firewall>Right Click it>Select Start>u will see an incompatible Protocool.....>Ok users!

Solution:Redo Or Reformat Your System

Why??:YOu have a firewall i your computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back