4 GB Video Limit????? MEESA SAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHausma2002

Hey everyone, just a small prob with my movie making. It seems that whenever I want to create a video files, mpeg, avi etc it sets a limit after 4 gb. I have plenty of space, but it gives me a message saying you have run out of room on the hardrive when creating these files. Whever I look at the half complete file, it is 3.99 gb. is their some way to get around this??? I have WIN XP by the way.

You are suffering from the wrong format syndrome. FAT32 is limited to 3.99Gb. Format a drive using NTFS. It is virtually unlimited. I am recording a full 60Gb on my RAID setup.

You can find more info at the microsoft knowledge base or visit PC editing forums for more info on that topic.

ok

Ok thanks, how do I go about doing that. Also, is that going to affect my gaming, other computer applications, etc?

Start/Run/cmd.exe

convert C: /fs:NTFS

Replace C: with the drive letter you want to convert to NTFS and this will do it for you, providing you are using Windows 2000 or XP

Keep in mind that while converting, you cannot specifiy cluster size. You will need a program like Partition Magic for this. The default cluster size during conversion is 512b, which is very small and may decrease hard disk performance slightly if you have a large drive with many files. The typical NTFS volume uses 4kb clusters. Larger is better, in terms of performance.

Yeah, the best thing you could do is format an existing fat32 partition as ntfs. you will loose any data on there but will get the more sensible cluster size. larger can be better in terms of performance, but larger can also waste space. fat32 is great at this. choose the defaults with a fresh format and you will be fine. hopefully on your system you have a partitioning scheme where you will be able to do this.

the 4GB file size limit shouldn't effect your games, or anything else for that matter. Only movies. 4GB is already a pretty long movie...most people with FAT32 just make multiple files. You can do this, and should you decide to go with NTFS, you could just merge them all together.

Simply converting, by typing in that command Rick gave (also in the link Phantasm66 gave), will not erase your hard drive. You will be able to go over 4Gb there. The best option though if you backup your data is to format it as NTFS, that will erase what you have.

Just the disadvantage Rick mentioned, with you not being able to choose cluster size, like he said if you have a big drive with lots of files that small of a custer size might not be real efficient. If you have partition magic you can do it that way and specify sizes.
If you are just a casual user that has big videos to create then it will work, its not the best way (formatting as NTFS would) but it will work.
Also as always when playing around with these type of things backup any important data first, I actually have had a convert fail before, and its not pretty if you don't have things backed up. (another reason why multiple partitions are good).

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
Really? It depends on the compression. When I'm editing video clips, 4 GB is usually about 15 minutes of video.

That's true if you record in AVI. Also ripping DVDs to your hard disk can take up 6gb or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back