Where can I get deionized water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deionized basically means no dissolved salts or minerals, which dissolve into positive and negative ions. Distilled water fits the bill. At the same time, you can buy "deionized water." It's the equivalent of distilled but not actually distilled so they can't say distilled.

ooo..i put up a thread about that system here at techspot and people told me to stay away from it...and that it isnt very good..heres the thread..you might wanna read it..

https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?t=45965

and this is the sytem i ended up buying

http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-wat-20.html?id=fV7CrYw4

its comin in the mail tommorow..yey..

sorry to avoid your question about the water..but i dont really know the difference..i know that alot of places/people reccomend both distilled and deionized water..and both have very low electric conductivity...theirfor both work ok for water cooling..i did a quick froogle search for deionized, and it seemes very expensive, so i would just reccomend to go pick up a gallon of distilled, and when you buy the kit, pick up some water wetter..witch lubricates the pump..peace

Distilled water is, as the name implies, vaporized and condensed so all you have is water with very minimal minerals or salts left. Deionized water has minerals and salts removed by means other than boiling and vaporizing. There is very little practical difference. Don't worry about it. It is not particularly good for drinking, however.

The thread about the cooling system only had someone who had a bad experience with a cheap one. Newegg reviews have helped me out alot before. unless I know someone who I trust comes up to me and says "I had that exact one and it is horrible" that is probably the one I am gonna get. Also I guess i'll just got with distilled water. Thank you

all im saying is that your not going to see a drastic change in perfomance/temperature..probably not much more then what you are getting right now...as i said before i was also thinking about getting this system..also saw that people at newegg gave great reviews..but then i did some research and its just not that great as far as cooling goes..although it does seem to be pretty reliable.....i dont really know what trust has to do with anything..i dont see a reason why someone would lie to you about a water cooling system..foolish...i am just telling you what i know..if you dont want to believe me fine..good luck

Just a random question:

I read someting about a "water-wetter" earlier in the thread. What about using soap/detergent instead? I would've thought it'll give the same surface tension effect (Is that what a water-wetter is?), albeit the problem with phosphate, which is easily solved by adding more fungicide.....

Probably won't work, but just curious. Don't try this at home :D

p.s. What I really mean when I said soap/detergent is the pure thing, not commercialized, with smells and softeners and crap.

that might be a interesting idea but i think that it would produce bubbles in the system and that wouldnt be good...if you think about, when you mix soap and water, and then shake it, it suds up and produces oxygen bubbles which would probly clog the system..but thats just my take on it.

the bubbles might expand and break open the tubes... messy. Also I am not really looking for extream cooling. I just want a quiet/cool looking system. Well... my 6600gt runs a little warm but... w/e. SUre I understand because its lower priced than others it won't be anywhere close to the $200+ systems. My budget just doesn't allow me to spend that much right now. Maybe on my next build when I have some experince with liquid cooling. I am really thankful for your advice. Right now my CPU runs around 28 c idle and 40c under 100% load for about an hour or two. I would like to overclock a bit but we all know the 754 3000+ doesn't do so well over 2.2Ghz.

if 28/40 is the correct temperature, that is one of the best i have ever seen stock and dont see a reason to change it...were are you getting this temp from..doesnt seem right..my system with 7 fans runs at 44 idle

I don't know, I thought bubbles are formed only if there was air in there in the first place.

If I get a watercooling solution, I might just try it out (without plugging it into the comp of course!)

28/40 is GREAT in stock. I wish I can get those temps....

At the moment, I'm getting 23/43, but thats with copper HSs.

*tear* I just installed a heat pipe cooler on my 6600gt and somehow my card fried... *tear* I feel horrible... rightn ow I am using an OLD OLD OLD OLD! Rage 128 PCI!!!!!!! THIS SUCKS!!!!!!! If anyone has like a geforce 4 mx or a radeon 9000 laying around... i would appericate it...

What good is deionized water

mailpup said:
Deionized basically means no dissolved salts or minerals, which dissolve into positive and negative ions. Distilled water fits the bill. At the same time, you can buy "deionized water." It's the equivalent of distilled but not actually distilled so they can't say distilled.

The cooling blocks on the cpu and or GPU are made of metal, water and metal = corrosion, metallic salts into the water, which is now ionized.

Uhm.... Thats bad. Did you install it correctly?

Don't have much experience putting in new GPU coolers (the trend started relatively recently compared to CPU coolers), but I know there's much more to it than installing a CPU cooler.

Installed a Zalman VF700-Cu just recently, so I know how much more complicated it is.

My condolences. Poor graphics card, it has led a good life.

Its alright! Its not fried. It just grounded out and didn't work, I installed a zalman 80mm on it, it now idles at 36 c and load 45c

and this is a screen shot of my comp temps after 20 mins of sitting.

Attachments

• temp shot.GIF
    temp shot.GIF
    27.3 KB · Views: 8
poor motherboard? Do you mean that its a bad mobo or you feel bad for it? Its an Nforce 3 250. Its a good board and nothing is wrong with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back